Coconut Yogurt

Mariah

Do you have a successful Whole 30 approved coconut yogurt? I have tried to make coconut yogurt a couple of times now with homemade pinapple vinegar. I have not been able to get it to set up properly. I think having a coconut yogurt could be fun to play with, but can't seem to get mine to turn out. Anyone have any ideas?

I would also love to have a coconut milk based yogurt, so I'm eager tohear some suggestions, too. I tried it once and failed. I think my starter culture is bad (it was specifically for non-dairy yogurts). I'll be trying again soon, and will post my results.

I've never made it, but from memory most of the recipes I looked at a while ago recommended adding gelatine because the coconut milk just doesn't seem to thicken well on its own just with a starter.... Good luck, if you nail it please post your recipe :)

There is this one: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/45263391503/paleo-plans-simple-coconut-milk-yogurt

I haven't tried it. It's technically ok, I believe, but I do find myself craving yogurt in the morning and I'm trying to work through that.

I have been taking the coconut probiotic daily in an attempt to heal my gut. It was on sale at WF. I do t think you can get it online but the company's website lists other sources.

I usually make my own cow's milk yogurt and have no trouble with it at all. So I thought it would be a cinch to make coconut yogurt. It was a dismal failure. I used gelatin and a cow's milk yogurt as the starter.

I *might* try one more time using coconut yogurt as the starter, along with gelatin, but that will be my last attempt.

As it is, 36 days in, I am FINALLY losing the craving for yogurt, so that suggests to me I'm better off giving cow's milk yogurt a trial LAST, not first.

If you do have success with your coconut yogurt, please let me know how you did it!

Pea

• 3 weeks later...

I made coconut milk yoghurt a few months ago using agar agar as a thickener - would agar agar be Whole 30 compliant?

Actually, even if it is, this is probably something that will have to wait til after as you have to put in some kind of sugar (maple syrup or honey is ok) to give the bacteria something to eat.

I think it's maybe a personal question as to whether it's ok or not even if the ingredients are technically compliant. I was used to eating yogurt, granola and fruit for breakfast many days a week. I decided not to even try coconut yogurt (the recipe above doesnt use any sugar, btw) on my W30 because it was one of the foods I had a hard time letting go.

I make grass-fed cow milk yogurt for my kids and I was, in the beginning, practically salivating as I doled it out for them. I suspect it may be better to leave it out if you are really reliant on it so you can figure out new nutrient-dense things to eat.

Archived