Egg Free, Nut free meatballs?

Pea

I'm really having to be strict about nuts, eggs, and nightshades, so no tomato-based sauces for me.

How would I made tasty meatballs without eggs or almond flour? I can't use flax or chia seeds as egg substitutes.

I've never made meatballs without eggs.....

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!!!! I've got three pounds of ground meats waiting to be turned into dinner tonight!

Pea

I would just leave it out. They might not hold together quite so well, but they would still taste good. Mushrooms or onions or a combo, pulverized in a food processor could be a good addition for a lighter texture/binding quality...yeah, that's what I would do: mushrooms and/or onions and liver (I always add liver) pureed + some onions chopped fine (more texture variety) + maybe a little fish sauce and/or other herbs/spices (fresh parsley or cilantro is nice, or ground cumin if you can have that) + sea salt + the ground meat. good luck! let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out.

I usually make meatballs with just meat and whatever shredded veggies I have (carrots, zucchini) but a couple of times I have added grassfed bovine gelatin to the mix and it seems to make the meat juicier. For seasonings I use dried herbs, coconut aminos, onion or garlic powder and plenty of Celtic sea salt.

In Everyday Paelo, she uses meat and seasoning only. For two lbs of meat...1t sea salt, 1/2t pepper, 1/2T dried basil, 1/2T dried oregano, 2-3 minced garlic cloves. So,you can adjust for three pounds. I ball mine up and cook in mini muffin tins 350 for about 12 mins.

Or she has a mini meatloaf recipe too

2lbs meat, 1 1/2t sea salt, 1/2t pepper, 2garlic cloves, 1t onion powder, 1t dried parsley, 1c finely diced carrots, 1c finely diced spinach. Cook in regular sized muffin tin about 15 mins.

I put my carrots and spinach in a food processor to get them very small.

For sauce.....I usually use homemade mayo but that has eggs....not sure about sauces. But the meatloaf is flavorful enough without sauce. Meatballs, not sure how to had sauce without tomatoes, but they are a nice Italian flavor.

Wow! Thank you! I love those ideas!

I think I will make the meat muffins, using shredded carrots and onions. I'll make a sort of pesto out of greens, garlic, and olive oil. This will be yummy! Thank you so much!

Pea

I made 12 meat muffins and they came out great! Thanks for the suggestions. I just shredded a large onion, lots of garlic, and some carrots and mized them all up with the meat. Used a 1/4 cup measure to measure out the muffins and baked 'em for 25 min. There was a enough extra to make a little meatloaf, too.

I love a cilantro-based pesto and can't wait til I see cilantro at my farmer's market!

Pea

My mother never used anything but meat, onions, eggs & onion powder in her meatballs. She was never a great cook (4 kids and 3 adults in the house probably put her over the edge most nights), but she was always eating local and seasonal. She will be 86 this week! Ahead of her time!

Archived