Helen's Wild Blue Yonder

helen

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So today:  I had decided to just introduce greek yogurt but ended up eating potato chips (Kettle brand at least~~sea salt, potatoes, canola oil) but feel like that was an impulsive choice and not happy.

Meal 1:  greek yogurt smoothie (spinach, small amount of fruit)

This did not satisfy me at all.  I may make these in the summer as a treat but I don't think yogurt smoothies are back in my graces.

Meal 2:  tuna salad, cucumber, beef/pork 'real' jerky stick (only non-compliant ingredient was molasses powder)

I came home from a long day at work famished.  I was late to the bus stop so that was stressful as girls upset (luckily my neighbor stayed).  We came in and I was making them a snack and my youngest asked for hummus and chips and I splurged on a bowl.

They made me feel kind of gross after eating them.  Not a good response physically at ALL.

Meal 3:  chorizo sausage and carrots.

Great yoga tonight.  And we bought a sauna!  It was on craigslist for $350 which is way under what all the others run.  I think the reason why is it was a smokers home (how weird is that?).  I have it airing outside right now and tomorrow I am going to clean it with peppermint Dr. Bronners.  It is a model no longer made and we can't find a manual but seems straight forward.  My husband says he could order replacement parts if needed since 'simple' (I don't know electrical stuff at all).  But I'm happy.  Whole 30 living and the sauna and light box are my strategies for dealing with winter!

Post Day 2:  Fumbling along but I'm going to get this!

Meal 1:  3 eggs with onions, spinach tomato and coffee with coconut milk

~~very satisfying breakfast.  In fact, almost too satisfying.  I had to tutor from 12-3 and was not hungry to eat before I left.  Which led to getting home at 3 being really hungry thus binging on pistachio nuts.

Meal 2:  pistachio nuts (1/2 a bag, 4 servings, ridiculous), chicken thighs and watermelon and Kombucha

~~ left for dance class at 5:30 so couldn't eat before and came home and.....GRAZED.  Bleh. 

Meal 3:  bag of sugar snap peas (good), real stick jerky (almost compliant), handful of potato chips (boo).

But okay better than in the past.  Going to think positive.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm back and committed to journal the next few weeks.  Short story:  offroading gone wild.  Have gained almost 5 pounds and feel like a slug.  So, I've commited to a Whole19 until I go to DC for a yoga conference (where I doubt I will eat much of anything but don't know if I can be compliant).

Today was hard.  I'm really struggling with food prep.  In fact, I don't feel like eating and thus wait too long and then eat foods just because they are there.  I did cook 2 pounds of chicken thighs and roasted a family size bag of brussel sprouts to have on hand.  Still struggling with fat at each meal.

Meal 1:  two eggs, spinach, garlic, onion and tomatoes.  Coffee with coconut milk.

Meal 2:  chicken sausage, brussel sprouts and a handful of coconut flakes (this was for added fat). 

Meal 3:  serving of pistachio nuts.  I don't feel like eating this late.  Those were to hold me over while I made dinner for the kids and baths but now I am just calling it a day. 

Did yoga at least.  So onward.  Day 1 somewhat of a success I guess. 

• 2 months later...

Whole 30 Round 3

I was sad about how much weight I gained since Halloween but moving forward.

Meal 1:  3 scrambled eggs in ghee and a green smoothie (lots of spinach, 1/4 banana, handful of mixed berries, turmeric, ginger, chia seeds), coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2:  grilled chicken thighs, steamed broccoli, olive tapenade

Afternoon pick up:  cup of earl grey with coconut milk

Meal 3:  pork chops, green salad with olive oil and vinegar, brussel sprouts

Feeling good!

Day 2:

Meal 1:  pork chop, green smoothie (same as yesterday), coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2:  tuna salad and carrots.  If I had not had the carrots I would not have eaten vegetables.  Not feeling it.

Earl grey tea with coconut milk in the afternoon.

Meal 3:  chocolate chili, whole tomato and onions.

No exercise.  Mentally challenging today but feel okay now!

Day 3:

M1:  eggs scrambled in garlic, spinach, tomato and ghee with coffee with coconut milk and a green smoothie.

M2:  on the road with kids all day so had my emergency lunch (larabar, pistachio nuts, coffee with coconut milk, banana, seasnax).  Too much fruit (larabar + banana) but compliant.

M3:  grilled chicken thighs, olive tapenade, green beans and mushrooms and homemade Kombucha.

Hoping coffee doesn't mess with me.

Exercise:  20 mins elliptical and stretching afterward.

Day 4:

M1:  Egg and prosciutto and veggie scramble, coffee and coconut milk (finally have whole coconut milk again, much better than 'lite'), green smoothie.

Ate M1 at 9:40 and then went to 90 minute yoga.  Afterward, kids wanted to ice skate so we went and I didn't get home until 4 pm!  I had some compliant 'emergency' snacks in car but didn't get to them until 3:30 and wasn't feeling famished and wanted to eat real food not larabar and nuts.

M2:  Cup of chicken and veggie soup and pistachio nuts while waiting for dinner.

M3:  Steak, broccoli, coconut flakes, Kombucha.

Yoga & Ice skating.  Ready for bed.  Wish my 5 and 6 year old were too.

Oops missed yesterday.  Let's see if I remember.

Day 5:

M1:  Egg scramble.  Green smoothie.  Coffee with coconut milk.

M2:  Larabar and pistachio nuts and black coffee (at the aquarium with kids who were eating grilled cheese and french fried, I'd packed a cooler lunch but we left it in the car).

M3:  Grilled chicken thighs (2), sweet potato, olive tapenade.

Went to my first meditation workshop for one of my Whole 30 goals.  I need to find those and post here to remember.

Day 6:

M1:  2 fried eggs (very late to my therapist so glad scarfed something), coffee with coconut milk (this whole milk is making all the difference)

M2:  green smoothie, handful of pistachio nuts (not hungry had to force this down, had neighbor kids over so lots going on)

M3:  meatloaf (large serving, next time NO coconut flour, bleh, but all the veggies were great), broccoli.

Off to bed soon I hope.  It is effing cold.  I am a Southerner after all.

Day 7

Kids home AGAIN because school is slow.  I love it actually but it is cramping my style.

M1;  3 eggs, green smoothie (chia seeds and the usual but I am really limiting the fruit now that I'm using turmeric and ginger), coconut milk in coffee

M2:  pistachio nuts and banana and another green smoothie (we had a massive neighborhood playdate and I never could sit down and fix anything)

M3:  Paleo meatloaf mixed with chocolate chili and sweet potato

Power yoga (lots of new people so we didn't do a lot of the more advanced stuff I like but still a good class).

Had a really blah day.  Just not feeling it.  But didn't stuff my face with food which is good.

M1: leftover mix of meatloaf and choc chili, green smoothie, coffee with coconut milk

M2:  some tuna salad, some chicken thigh, sweet potato and pistachio nuts and a cup of Earl Grey with coconut milk.

M3:  leftover meatloaf/choc chili.  

Went to NIA.  I'm sad because my instructor is moving and next week is my last class.  I have been dancing with her for 12 years and no one else is certified in my town.  It is a loss.  I am trying to figure out how to fill it.  I do ecstatic dance twice a month but I love my weekly NIA dance.  

Day 9:

M1:  coffee and coconut milk, chicken breasts with olive oil/lemon/cilantro dipping sauce (OMG could drink that stuff), green smoothie

(ate at 11 am, not following my plan of eating within an hour of waking, also made yoga on a full stomach at 12:15 hard, boo helen)

M2:  small chicken thigh, sweet potato, some more of that dipping sauce, pistachios

M3:  chorizo sausage and guacamole

Yoga, good energy levels, felt like I didn't want to eat M3 but forced myself, Not sure how I feel about that. Maybe should have gone on to bed instead.

Really not good on the logging in but I've been compliant.  Lots of random cravings this weekend.  Also, I'm out of spinach this morning.

Going to try and be better so I can analyze things better.  Sigh.

Day 12:

M1:  Egg, spinach, chorizo sausage scramble.  Green smoothie.  Coffee with coconut milk.

M2:  Chorizo sausage (we need to cook) and pistachio nuts.  No veggies.  Also need to cook some of those.

M3:  Steak and broccoli and Kombucha.

Yoga and mindfulness workshop (wonderful).  Still dehydrated I think.  Don't know why I won't drink water in the winter!  So silly.

Archived