Olive Oil PAM spray - is it ok?

mbasten

• Moderators

You could put olive oil in a spritzer bottle and use that. The aerosol sprays are not okay. The gases used to make it spray are not good enough for a Whole30. Just look at the ingredient labels and see if you want to eat that stuff.

Totally agree with Tom. Those spritzer bottle are awesome. A question to you, Tom. wouldn't cooking with extra virgin olive oil in general require staying at medium temperature to avoid getting the oil up to its smoke temp? I sometimes opt to just coating my baking tray with ghee since it does have a significantly higher smoke temp besides the much better flavor for my taste :-)

THANK YOU BOTH!! Very helpful. I have ghee, not sure why I'm not using it. I am new to Whole30 so I keep forgetting it's there. So when I make eggs or stir fry, the ghee is good. Got it. What do I use the coconut oil for when it comes to cooking?

• Moderators

Totally agree with Tom. Those spritzer bottle are awesome. A question to you, Tom. wouldn't cooking with extra virgin olive oil in general require staying at medium temperature to avoid getting the oil up to its smoke temp? I sometimes opt to just coating my baking tray with ghee since it does have a significantly higher smoke temp besides the much better flavor for my taste :-)

It is best not to heat olive oil to high temperatures. We should probably not take it even close to its smoke point. When I first started cooking seriously in 2010, I used olive oil a lot, but more recently use ghee or coconut oil for most cooking. For example, I used to get my skillet slick with a splash of olive oil, but nowadays I melt a tablespoon of ghee or coconut oil.

Not only does ghee impart a bit of flavor to the foods cooked in it, ghee handles heat well, so you can cook at high temperatures with it.

And Beef Tallow. Must not forget that. I am picking up my first batch from Fatworks here in Portland. They only sell fat. I think I love them. Their beef tallow is the real thing made from suet from around the kidneys and from 100% grass fed cattle. Free shipping if you buy 3 jars. It is such a stable fat that you can use it over and over. My newest obsession. :0)

Hi all - thanks for your feedback. This forum is SO helpful b/c of you all!

What should I use for the pan (as you can tell, I'm quite the novice in the kitchen) when I broil chicken and beef patties so it won't stick so bad. Ghee? I just want to make sure it can withstand the temperature of broiling (550?) and I don't smoke myself out of my kitchen. :)

Archived