Calories??

EnJay

I've read the posts that deal with NOT counting calories, and I'm also just beginning to read "It Starts With Food," so I may learn the answer soon, however, I am starting the Whole30 now.

What I'm trying to understand is WHY I don't have to worry about calories. If i eat too many almonds, steaks, or even apples, won't that make me gain weight?

Any time you count calories it's because you've decided how many you think your body should have. You will try to control it and limit what it can have. The W30 is designed to nourish your body to give it good healthy food and let it get on with it's job of being the best it can be. During a W30 you will actually learn to listen to your body and to trust it. Now, since many of us are so screwed up foodwise when we come to a W30, we're not used to that, it can seem scary and the thought that our body actually knows what it needs is quite radical.

So the very best place to start is, as Annabel said, with the meal template. Make it your friend. Follow it and you'll soon learn how much you need to eat to keep your body satisfied. Good luck

In theory, you are correct. If you eat too many of the foods you listed, you will gain weight. But, as the others said, if you follow the template you will be fine.

Counting calories leads to an disordered relationship with food. You trust the numbers instead of your body's signals. Believe me, I know, because I counted calories religiously for 4 years. Hungry and out of calories? Exercise, of course. Now you can eat - and you are even more hungry. Had a day where you DID exercise and felt satiated with your food choices on less calories than prescribed? Oh, look, I can fit in that chocolate brownie and all of its sugar.

My first whole30 I just had to put my trust in the template, and found it to be a fantastic decision!

That all helps a lot. I hadn't even seen the meal template. Some time ago, my doctor told me to cut the carbs, but I didn't have a framework for how much of what I was supposed to be eating. I've printed out 2 copies - one is on the fridge, and one is going to ride around with me in my car.

I haven't "listened" to my body for a long time. Here we go...

I am also a "newbie" to Whole30, on day 8 of 30. Doing great so far.

I was also worried about gaining weight, as some people had mentioned. However, if you are really limiting your food intake to what is recommended the results will likely be different (as mine have been thus far). The hardest thing for me has been staying away from "snacking," because they don't tend to follow the meal template of protein/fat/veggies. A handful of almond does not follow the meal template, so I had to force myself to quit! Once you get into days 6-7 and are eating the meal template as recommended, the snacks will just fall away.

Good luck!

Archived