Coconut Milk Custard

qqemokitty

I saw this recipe for a single serving of coconut milk custard on the MDA forums.

One egg

1/2 cup coconut milk

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 tsp Saigon cinnamon

Shredded coconut for topping

This sounds compliant to me, but I want to be sure. It would be yummy for breakfast with berries!

• Moderators

The coconut milk custard would be Whole30-compiant, but let's talk about why you might not want to eat it during your Whole30. This recipe is awfully close to a conventional dessert and if you eat dessert just like you did in the past, you set yourself up to crave dessert and to keep any cravings for sugar very much alive. Sugar cravings are best starved to death. Also, this amount of food is almost certainly too small for a good breakfast. Most people should eat a breakfast with as many eggs as they can hold in one hand. I bet you can hold at least 3. :)

If you want a recipe for something with 3 eggs that might hold a similar appeal, I sometimes vary my breakfast by making an omelet with fruit. Slice up a couple of small plums or a peach, fry them in ghee or coconut oil, sprinkle cinnamon. Whip up your eggs with a few tbsp. of coconut milk, pour over, cover and cook until just done through. It has a pancakey appeal without (at least for me) setting off a dessert spiral.

Then eat it with a small avocado and some other veggie as sides.

Hmm alright. Interesting! I've never cooked with coconut anything before so I don't actually know how sweet it is or not. I guess I wasn't thinking of the custard as being a sweet, but more like a mild breakfast side dish with fruit and sausage or something. :P

I might try that fruit omelette, that sounds really different. I've never cooked fruit either, outside of a pie. Yay adventures!

And I guess one egg in the mornings seems like plenty to me. One of the things I am trying to do when I start my whole 30 is get used to eating an actual breakfast. These days I might eat a hard boiled egg or an apple for breakfast and that's it. :3

Archived