Fruit after dinner

• Moderators

Fruit is definitely a better dessert choice than most, but it is a good idea to get over the feeling that you need "something" after dinner. Unfortunately, fruit keeps the addiction alive and what you really need is for it to die out.

Ok where is the meeting so I can stand up and admit, I am a dessert addict!!!!!! I got it, I am conditioned for dessert! I am on day 7 and I want to stick my head in a sugar bowl!!!!! I have been off everything but sugar and its biting me in the you know where right now. I have been fine with withdrawal but today not so good!!!

I know the best route is to just not eat anything when you're not hungry (i.e. desert) and tough it out, but I was not one of those people. That was my downfall over and over last year attempting a Whole30. It wasn't until I accepted I needed a step in between that I finally broke my desert habit (and successfully completed a Whole30).

What I did was allow myself desert - but it had to be fat and possibly protein. No fruit or sweet potato. So, after dinner when I wanted desert, I'd eat avocado or broccoli covered in coconut oil. Yeah, I did this when I wasn't hungry but it filled that mental need for something. Let me tell you, though, if your desert is broccoli or salmon or something else like that, very quickly does that get boring. But, in the meantime, I gave myself some time to get past the sugar cravings in the beginning of the Whole30. So then all I had to do was drop the eating when I wasn't hungry thing. That was a lot easier to do once the sugar cravings chilled out a little, which for me was about a week/10 days in. I actually just stopped eating the "desert" all together because it was work to make something that wasn't all that appealing and it didn't take any willpower to do at that point.

Archived