Hi there!

karacooks

Hi! I'm introducing myself!

My name is Kara. I'm not new to healthy eating or clean eating. Back in 2007/2008 I lost nearly 100 pounds changing the way I eat and starting to exercise and get fit. I maintained that loss until last year when I had a stressful and busy fall and gained back nearly 40 of the pounds I lost.

I am interested in the Whole30 plan for a few reasons, most of them linked with my food and fitness philosophies. Let me explain. :)

1. I don't believe in fad diets and I speak out against them vocally and loudly.
  2. As an historian and anthropologist by education I am somewhat skeptical about the whole "paleo" diet thing. I don't mean to offend anyone, but based on my education, it's not based in fact, and it's kind of a fad.
  3. I don't believe in "cleanses" or "detoxes" either.
  4. I DO believe that we as a nation (the US) and a world (most of the developed countries) eat too much processed food and too much junk.
  5. I'm a big fan of Mark Bittman and Michael Pollan, both of whom advocate a more "clean", sustainable, and thoughful method of eating.
  6. I do believe that doing a "reset" (as opposed to a cleanse or a detox) can be good for breaking cravings and helping to get back on track.
  7. I currently run my own diet and fitness message board as well as a cooking blog, so I'm going to be posting about this concurrently in those places, as well as here.

So all of that said, why am I here? Mostly it's my 6th point above.

I am struggling with getting back into the healthy routine that I had a couple of years ago. I am struggling with commitment and cravings and all those other things. And I'm thinking that maybe it's time for me to do something drastic to get myself back on track.

While I don't really buy into the "paleo" thing, I do believe that there are people who are sensitive to grains, glutens, and starches. I have never eliminated those things from my diet before, so I'm going to take this opportunity to do so and see if it helps me out any. Maybe I'm more sensitive to those things than I thought. Or maybe I'm not, but this will be my opportunity to kill a starchy carb craving that is derailing me.

I had a long talk with my housemate tonight and he has agreed to participate with me. I have convinced him that I will not be able to complete the full 30 days if he is bringing "forbidden" foods into the house and eating them in front of me. He has agreed that he will either participate 100% or, if he finds he simply doesn't want to, that he will limit his non Whole30 eating to meals he eats outside of the house.

To that end, we will have our regular 4th of July cookout with barbecue sauce, potato salad, and all the other goodies, and then I will be removing all non-compliant foods from the pantry, boxing them up, and putting them in the hall closet until after the 30 days are over.

I'm glad to be here and I hope to be as successful at this as I've seen others post about!

Thanks for having me! :)

Kara

Archived