Breathing issues

little_muffin

Hmmmm, I know you people aren't Drs so I'm not asking for medical advice as such.

One of the reasons we started this was because Hattie had croup in Nov and just hasn't been able to shake it, so, in my wisdom, I thought, take milk out of her diet and lets see if that helps. Well it has, massively, now instead of a bark when she coughs, it's more like she's clearing her throat. She has said to me tonight that she keeps making a funny noise (like 'eh') when she breathes out (not every time) and she has problems breathing sometimes.

I fully intend to take her to the Dr as soon as I can get in but does anyone know of any reason for this or anything I can do to help her?

When my daughter had croup as a toddler, the only thing that helped was steam, so I used to sit in the bathroom with her but if she's having difficulty breathing, I'd be tempted to take her to the out-of-hours just to check her over.

I'd definitely check with a doctor. It might be something to do with the air -- either to dry or too moist -- that is delaying recovery a bit. She might also have some residual blockage of some kind. Sometimes when I get a cold, my sinuses and all don't go quite all the way back to normal for a while, partially because I have asthma, so my breathing is often a bit off.

Make sure she's staying REALLY hydrated. Full breathing after you've been sort of "reduced" or whatever really dehydrates your membranes and generally dehydrates your body. When my asthma was first diagnosed and treated, I basically had to double my water intake, because I was breathing fully for the first time in my life.

This sounds like my daughter! She has "cough-variant" asthma. She never needed an inhaler or anything, but she always sounded like a pack-a-day smoker. Any time she got sick she would have a lingering cough that was worse. Eliminating dairy has been fantastic for her, but I also find that the cleaner she eats, the better things are. My kids are super close to Whole30. She now has no cough at all. It has taken a while to eliminate the grains, but it has been far more effective than anything else we've tried. If too much grains/sugar/diary creep back in the diet, the cough comes back.

I hope things clear up for her soon.

Archived