Erin's W30 Log--Starting 7/1/2012

Erin

Day 16

Need to go grocery shopping but my car is getting worked on. :)

M1: coffee w/ coconut milk, 2 eggs scrambled with coconut oil, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper

M2: big salad with kale, mixed greens, broccoli, bell peppers, mushrooms, and blackened chicken

M3: bacon and greens

M1: bacon, eggs, sweet potato

M2: larabar

M3: Panda Express. Yes, you read that right. I started a 2nd job and am PMSing big time and when I got home from job #2 and needed to fix dinner, I looked in the refrigerator and wanted to cry. Every bone in my body ached and the thought of cooking felt like death. I thought of the ramifications of eating junky Chinese food and I accepted them. I knew I wasn't going to go on a bad-food binge and that I wanted to enjoy some Sweet Fire Chicken and Orange Chicken. So I did. And you know what? I don't feel guilty about it today: success! You know what else? I don't know if this is because of the toxic food or my exhaustion/PMS combo, but I literally dreamed that my son died that night. It was a long, horrible dream full of heavy grieving and disbelief. Thank God I woke up from it. Think that could be from the food???

Day 18

M1: coffee w/ coco milk, eggs, bacon, zucchini

M2: chocolate date balls, pistachios

M3: hard boiled eggs, sauteed kale, 1/2 sweet potato

(Having a hard time w/ eating well through my end of cycle emotions. I will say that I never noticed my PMS before this experiment. Boy oh boy, do I ever have it!)

I'd ask for the recipe too, but I'm battling my sugar demon and I could see myself going crazy on these. Once I'm through with my first W30 I will probably make them. They sound a bit like the homemade laraballs (because I didn't make bars) I would do. Hubby loved them. How did you find vanilla without alcohol in it?

Yeah, definitely don't make these until after your W30. They're addictive. I put mine in the freezer but still ate too many.

2 cups pitted super soft dates

2 heaping tbsp organic cocoa powder

1 tsp sea salt

1 tsp vanilla (you know, I didn't even think to look at the ingredients. i use vanilla from Mexico and it just says "pure vanilla extract")

1/4 c. chopped pecans

Put it all in a food processor and grind it up until it forms a dough. Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and freeze.

I'm estimating the amounts. Taste the dough before you take it out of the processor to be sure you're happy with the flavor.

Thanks!! Do you just leave them in the freezer and eat them frozen? Or store them there and put a few in the fridge?

I like them frozen. They're soft enough to bite into even from the freezer, but not gooey enough to stick to my fingers. Let me know what you decide works for you. :)

I've also made chocolate from coconut oil, cocoa powder, and honey and then mixed it with chopped macadamia nuts, spread it out on wax paper and sprinkled with sea salt.

Hmmm, maybe I'm obsessed with chocolate.

Oh yeah, I've been planning to make my own chocolate w/sea salt since before I started W30. I am also obsessed with chocolate and I'm ok with that. :D

edited to add: I've been sprinkling cocoa powder on my coconut whipped cream (which is just coconut milk and cinnamon) and having it on frozen berries. It is good!

These sound like a keeper and in my future for sure!

Vanilla extract is always made with alcohol (you can find it but it wouldn't be commonly available). The alcohol-free kind is made with propelyne glycol or glyceral. You can even make your own vanilla at home by steeping a vanilla bean in a mason jar with brandy, vodka or other ethyl alcohol for 6 months. Once the extract is made (store bough or home), the amount of alcohol you're actually getting in a teaspoon or more is almost insignificant. The same is true for all extracts, tinctures, etc.

Day 19:

M1: coffee w/ coconut milk, scrambled eggs, bacon, 1/2 sweet potato

M2: egg salad (about 3 eggs) and larabar

M3: Truluck's: salmon w/ mashed potatoes (garlic) mushrooms, bread pudding (felt a huge sugar rush after just a couple of bites) Felt WHOLE30 guilty but I'm recording it anyway. :)

Definitely not getting enough greens.

Oh yeah, I've been planning to make my own chocolate w/sea salt since before I started W30. I am also obsessed with chocolate and I'm ok with that. :D edited to add: I've been sprinkling cocoa powder on my coconut whipped cream (which is just coconut milk and cinnamon) and having it on frozen berries. It is good!

Are you talking about canned coconut milk?

Hi bds - YES, full fat canned coconut milk! If you leave it in your fridge over night, the coconut cream will separate from the coconut water. Drink the water, it's good for you. Scoop out the thick cream, put it in a cold bowl and whip it up with a handmixer. I will add cinnamon and/or unsweetened cocoa powder. It will stay good in the fridge for a few days. Some brands/batches seem to firm up more than others, so that takes some experimentation. It's a fun way to eat fat in my opinion. :D

Ok, I'm editing this to add that if you are a whipped cream addict or someone that will go into a sugar binge over whipped cream (I am not), this may be considered paleo-fying a bad food...so think about whether or not doing so would help/hinder your progress on W30.

Hi bds - YES, full fat canned coconut milk! If you leave it in your fridge over night, the coconut cream will separate from the coconut water. Drink the water, it's good for you. Scoop out the thick cream, put it in a cold bowl and whip it up with a handmixer. I will add cinnamon and/or unsweetened cocoa powder. It will stay good in the fridge for a few days. Some brands/batches seem to firm up more than others, so that takes some experimentation. It's a fun way to eat fat in my opinion. :D

Ok, I'm editing this to add that if you are a whipped cream addict or someone that will go into a sugar binge over whipped cream (I am not), this may be considered paleo-fying a bad food...so think about whether or not doing so would help/hinder your progress on W30.

Thanks limejuicy! I'm just wondering if i'm missing something. I've tried 1 brand of canned coconut milk and it tasted awful. I tried using it to make a fruit smoothy. It was not good. I can't imagine that the taste I had would be good as whipped cream. Did I get a bad can? I did shake it up well before I used it. I really want to like it! There are so many recipes using it.

Day 20:

This was yesterday. I worked at home from 9:00 am-4:00 pm and at Truluck's from 4:15 pm -11:30 pm. Today I have been sitting on the couch since 8:00 am and it's 1:34 pm now. Slightly exhausted.

M1: 3 sausage patties with sweet potatoes

M2: egg salad and a larabar

M3: pan seared red fish topped with a spicy crab and shrimp mixture. tomato salad, green beans

Archived