Casanandez's first Whole 30! (for real this time ;)

Casanandez

ugh... I can't believe I was unknowingly hanging out in the Post-Whole30 log forum! How embarrassing! lol

Well, I'm starting over (no, not because I was in the wrong forum) this is attempt #43467 and I PROMISE, I'm gonna do this this time!!!! :)) I have the book and I vow to carry it with me and read a bit each time I think about brownies... ahh crap, now im thinking about brownies.... lol

This will certainly be a journey! One I'm SUPER excited about :))

Day 1

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs, handful of carrots breakfast is always so tricky! I'm usually eating it in the car! : /

Lunch: Homemade "garbage" soup ( threw left over whole chicken in a pot of water with carrots sweet potatoes onion and celery and let simmer all day) garnished with red cabbage, fresh cilantro, raw onion, and homemade salsa verde. YUMMM!

Oh my goodness. That soup sound delish!

Good luck on your Whole30. I'm on day 6 and I try to take it one day at a time. That seems to be working for me. I've been reading other journals to get ideas.

We had 2 meal 3s last night... Purhaps i am not eating enough? The first was grilled swai fillet and cucumbers, meal 3b was chicken leg and sweet potatoe.

I read 3 chapters of it starts with food last night and slept like a baby!

Day 2

Breakfast : 2 boiled eggs, handfull of carrots

Lunch: chicken breast, 1/4 avocado, red cabbage (I am obsessed with red cabbage... Is that sane?), sweet potatoe

Dinner: Chicken breast cut into pieces coated with flaked coconut, carrots, 1/4 avocado

Had a second dinner: (changed breakfast today, maybe that will help) :Bratwurst and purple cabbage

Was up supper late last night studying for finals and GRE and finishing class projects! Dead Week 2013! I need to go grocery shopping this weekend, which I'm excited about. I'm a HUGE foodie and LOVE grocery shopping! :) The aspect of exploring new foods in the Whole 30 diet excites me.

Welcome! If you need two meal 3's I would try to eat more at meal 1. Your meal 1 doesn't really fit the food template. Keep playing with things and you will find the balance.

Thanks for the tip! Looking into more whole30 breakfasts! :)

I found that egg "muffins" are a great, easy breakfast food and can use leftover veggies and meat. I sautee whatever veggies and meat together in ghee, let cool then fill muffin tins about halfway full. I scramble about 8 eggs and season with salt, pepper, and whatever other seasonings and pour over the mixture in each tin until just about full. Cook at 350 for about 20 minutes or until the eggs are no longer jiggly. This makes about 12 muffins so I can eat about 3 every morning. You can freeze them as well and pop them in the microwave for a minute or two then go! ;)

I find variety is key to making it the 30 days! I think you definitely need more fat at meal 1. Is there a reason you have 2 meal 3's?

• 4 weeks later...

WHEWW!! What a month it has been!!! And after beating myself up a bit I've come to apologize to myself for falling off the Whole 30 again! But While I didn't follow to a T I also didn't fall COMPLETELY off and can say that each failed attempt has brought me closer to my goal of a healthy lifestyle. I plan to restart June 2nd after my GRE. I fell of during finals week and since finals week have been cramming and stressing over my GRE and sending out grad school applications. While I'm upset with myself, I have to remember that I did finish the semester with a 4.0, and I do hope to kick a** on my GRE Saturday (stressing...alot...). So while diet wasn't perfect, other aspects of life have come together and for that I'm cutting myself some slack. I'm not in summer school so starting June 2 I'll have all month to dedicate to my Whole 30/ Paleo/ real food lifestyle change.

I've also discovered that my friends are not very supportive. In fact they are the opposite of supportive and think I'm wearing a tin-foil hat. Literally one friend when we go out, before I even have a chance to order my water tells the waitress "she can only eat it if she can go to the back and kill it, she's doing the paleo thing and so you have to cook it with a stick and let her kill it with her mouth first... I'm beginning to resent this friend (he is a very long time friend... : /)...and don't think I'll be joining he and his wife for dinners anymore. Does anyone else have friendships that are toxic to your whole 30?? How do you deal?? I am on the look out for a network of like minded people.

This forum is SO helpful and supportive, but the support in my every day life when I can't log into the forum is where it gets tricky. : /. Husband has been much more supportive tho, he's not following along but he has noticed a difference in my energy, moods, etc when I keep my diet whole 30 approved, and understands why I'm doing this. I thank him sooo much for the support he's offering me now.

Soo! The GRE is an hour away from my home town and is also in the same city as the nearest whole foods, so I'll be doing my Whole 30 grocery shopping Saturday after (hopefully passing) my GRE.

There you go! Celebrate your undoubtedly excellent showing on the GRE with healthy meat and...well, for me it would be a jar of sauerkraut, but you may have your own oddity.

I'm glad your husband is supportive, and he'll probably get more and more so as he sees the benefits unfolding. (Just warn him in advance that the "Kill All The Things" period is coming!) As for the less supportive people, tell them, in strong language if necessary, to take a hike. And next time they all get the flu and you're perfectly healthy, you can snicker all you like. :D

Good luck! And keep posting; somehow it seems to help.

I had a spouse of a friend try to sabotage me, before I started my W30, because she thought my food restrictions were silly non-sense and was going to "show" me the error of my ways. I can't eat nightshades, and by can't I mean they set my stomach on fire. I haven't eaten them for over 2 years. She slipped some potato into a recipe, thinking that potatoes can't hurt anyone and I was being "dramatic". Completely unaware, I had a bite, yep, one mouthful of the delicious dish, and within a couple of minutes, doubled over in pain. I was sick for a day. That put an end to anyone being less than supportive of my "odd" diet, so no-one has questioned my W30 diet at all. :lol:

Seems to me that people who resist such things so vehemently are fighting something within themselves, perhaps a feeling that they are doing something wrong or their beliefs are being questioned or rejected, and that they are best avoided until they sort it out. I hope your friend comes around to realize that you are doing this for your health and not as some sort of rejection of him, and soon!

Good luck, and good health!

Thanks!! My Behavior Change Professor (my bachelor's degree is in Health Ed and Promotion) mentioned the same thing you just did in a lecture. That most people who try to sabotage us are just battling something within themselves. Which now that you remind me of this is most likely the case with this friend. He is always the one that can tell you exactly how many calories are in your steak, or your chips and salsa, or salad dressing, and then orders diet coke to balance out the calories. He's always on a "diet". I find the most difficult thing to explain to people is that this isn't a diet for me.

Over these past couple of months of experimenting with the paleo/whole30 lifestyle I recognize how different foods affect my body. I know that dairy causes me to have flem/congestion, grains bloat me, sweet give me brain fog, and most processed foods give me a headache. I KNOW THIS NOW for a fact, and can never see myself not going through with the whole 30 and cleaning up my act with this information about myself and my body. It really is enlightening to understand firsthand how foods affect our lives and our health.

Funny thing, but moments after I posted my comment to you, I had a friend "helpfully" tell me how misguided my "anti-grain thing" is. :lol:

She has been pursuing an organic/clean food only approach to eating for the past couple of years, with no change in her arthritis, and a noticeable increase in weight (which she blames on her knees). I'm hearing the "if what you're doing works, then I'm wrong" tone in her voice too. She has always been a large woman. She is very tall, big boned, and has been struggling with her weight all the years I've known her.

But my W30 is not a criticism of her choices. It is a commitment to my health. What works for me might not work for her, and vise versa. I applaud her dedication to organic/clean foods, and I will not try to convince her to stop eating grains (since that is the part of Paleo she considers "ridiculous").

I am so glad that you are finding what does and doesn't work for you! It's freeing, isn't it?

It really really is!! And you are right about not trying to convince people to stop eating food groups, I haven't done that either, but I did share what I am doing with friends in the hopes that I would get some support. I supported my friend when she decided to go vegetarian, and surprisingly, the vegetarian friend is the only one so far who supports my current lifestyle. :) I imagine she has the same philosophy as I do that if it works for you then keep doing what you are doing. I encourage people to experiment with their bodies because ultimately we are the only ones who can decide what is right for us.

There you go! Celebrate your undoubtedly excellent showing on the GRE with healthy meat and...well, for me it would be a jar of sauerkraut, but you may have your own oddity. I'm glad your husband is supportive, and he'll probably get more and more so as he sees the benefits unfolding. (Just warn him in advance that the "Kill All The Things" period is coming!) As for the less supportive people, tell them, in strong language if necessary, to take a hike. And next time they all get the flu and you're perfectly healthy, you can snicker all you like. :D Good luck! And keep posting; somehow it seems to help.

mmm Great idea, a grass fed steak and broccoli may be the perfect celebratory meal Saturday night :))

Day1 June 3 2013

Have a day full of cleaning and cooking ahead of me! Now that school is out, and my gre is over (one point away from my needed score :( ) I'm ready to tackle all things I've been neglecting!! I'm extra excited this summer because in 4 years this is the FIRST summer I haven't taken summer classes and worked full time!!

I almost don't know what to do with myself, the freedom is scary. So with this freedom I plan to take care of myself since I've neglected myself for 4years now (and gained 20llbs over those 4year!). I graduate in Dec and realize I want to be perceived as an adult, but while eating ice cream and Doritos it's hard to look like one... Seeing however that this is not my first attempt at a whole 30 I do have a few recipes under my belt that I didn't have before. There certainly is a learning curve with this way of life, I haven't perfected it all yet, but have a much better understanding.

So without further ado Day 1 Meals!!

M1: chorizo (found a compliant chorizo at one in the Latin grocery stores in town!!) and eggs, ton of broccoli (strange but I love broccoli)

M2:

M3:

Archived