Day 8-15 bloated and diarrhea

Hi guys and girls,

so it's my first time doing a Whole30 and I wanted to tackle my sugar cravings, get more energy and loose a bit of weight as other "diets" haven't worked for me in the past. I have a thyroid problem but decided to stick with the normal Whole30 instead of doing the Autoimmune programme due to the amount of food that is restricted and my Hashitmoto's Thyroiditis is currently inactive according to my endocronologist. I thought my sugar cravings would be really bad but they haven't been an issue for me, its my stomach that is the issue at the mo. I haven't had any energy since I started this plan and at first I was always hungry but now it's weaned off a bit. I'm on day 15 now but for the last week I've had terrible bloating, like my abdomen is distended and I have had really loose stools. Today I've had to call in sick because I have had three bouts of diarrhea, sorry to be graphic but it's like water and I can't leave the flat! I'm not sure if this is normal and how to stop it. I used to take Actimel probiotics but because I'm not allowed dairy I have been eating sauerkraut but it hasn't helped. Do you think I need a probiotic in form of a pill? And can anyone recommend a brand or type? I live in Germany so will have to see if they do those here at the pharmacy. I usually avoid anything from the cabbage family as before it would bloat me out, I've tried cauliflower a couple of times since doing Whole30 and it still bloats me out and makes me gassy so have avoided it again and so I've been focusing on squash, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots and zucchini, all cooked not raw. I cook everything in coconut oil and sometimes ghee, either sauteeing, steaming, roasting. I work long hours starting early so have breakfast at 5am, lunch at 12pm and dinner at 6-7pm. My general meals look like this:

Breakfast: green tea, usually have 2 eggs with a banana and spoonful of coconut chips (i can hardly stomach breakfast)
Lunch: veggie soup with fish or meat of some kind or omlette with veg cooked in coconut oil, or leftovers from dinner night before
Dinner: meat or fish with veggies and avocado or nuts/seeds (usually chicken, beef or pork (can't get lamb here in East Germany where i live and I hate liver))

I sometimes get hungry at work so have snacks of coconut chips, macadamia and walnut nuts and apples to hand. The first week I was snacking a lot due to hunger between meals but now I'm doing better and hardly snacking at all. I still don't have energy though and my stomach is really really bloated, almost like if I'd eaten wheat! I've been gluten free for 10yrs as have really bad symptoms when I eat wheat products. Tested negative though for coeliac. Last night my stomach bloated out during my meal and I couldn't finish it. (was peppered mackerel, sweet pots, roasted red peppers, parsnips and carrots with onion in coconut oil and sauerkraut) I used to eat meat or fish maybe 3 times a week, now its 3 times a day maybe that is the problem? I drink about 2-3 litres of herbal teas or water everyday, no coffee as am a migraine sufferer but always start my day with green tea. I know my trousers are tight and I feel really frumpy and I'm hoping it will pass as have read many comments on here to put me at ease about that but I am worried about the constant loose stools and diarrhea. Any tips or advice what I'm doing wrong or what I can try to ease up my stomach. It's so uncomfortable and getting me down :( Also I've noticed my skin is really bad, lots of breakouts. My doctor just thinks its IBS and this "diet" isn't any good as it cuts out too many food groups. many thanks!

I'm wondering if coconut could be bothering you?  Maybe try taking that out for a few days and see if that gives you any relief?

Make sure you're meeting the meal template for all your meals. Your breakfast example was missing veggies - don't let fruit push veggies off your plate.

If you get hungry at work, have a snack that is a mini-meal including a protein and fat. Nuts are considered a fat source on a Whole30.

On that topic, I also wonder if nuts and/or seeds could be bothering you too?

Are you also staying sufficiently hydrated? Aim for drinking water, in the amount of at least half your body weight in ounces, daily.

Hi Chris,
I weighed 165 lbs at the start of this plan, haven't weighted myself since and am 5ft 8ins. I drink 2-3 litres of herbal tea or water every day so I'm thinking hydration is ok. Interesting about the coconut though. I love coconut lol but i'll try leaving it out for a few days and sticking to ghee. hmm I'll try adding in veggies into breakfast too, I forgot about that but I'm so bloated, even when I wake up and I just can't stomach much in the mornings lol esp. at 5am. I'm so not a morning person and my brain tends to switch on around 11am lol. Thanks for your advice though, will try those things! :)

• Moderators

Probiotics might help, but because you are eating much more meat and fish than before, you may need digestive enzymes to help you adjust. If your gut bacteria are not up to digesting the foods you are eating, that could explain the GI distress you have been having. Your body would eventually grow the gut bacteria it needs, but digestive enzymes may help in the interim. Here are two articles you might want to review...

Archived