High Country Kombucha

alexasaurusrex

Has anyone ever had this brand? I tried their goji berry yesterday thinking all kombucha was safe, then I read a thread on here that some brands add sugar during the second fermentation process. I took it upon myself to email high country and ask, and they said it was proprietary information and good luck. I'm tempted to never drink the brand again just because of the email lol, but I wasn't sure if anyone else knew anything about it. It's probably the best kombucha I've had...which probably means it has sugar in the second fermentation lol.

Also, if it isn't compliant do I have to start my Whole 90 all over again?

• Moderators

I looked at their website. Their ingredients for the Goji Berry flavor state: Organic Kombucha tea, organic goji berry extract and organic goji berry flavor. 

So it looks like they don't add sugar in their second ferment, but I'm not sure what would be in the goji berry extract. 

I looked at their website. Their ingredients for the Goji Berry flavor state: Organic Kombucha tea, organic goji berry extract and organic goji berry flavor. 

So it looks like they don't add sugar in their second ferment, but I'm not sure what would be in the goji berry extract. 

Hmm. That's a good question. I think I might just leave it out for the 90 days and then see how I feel. I'm having a hard time getting all my water in so I should just go without to make sure the water is priority.

Thanks again!

• 1 year later...

I just found this thread while looking to see if I could have the Elderberry Hibiscus flavor. I went back to the ingredients list and noticed that their "Organic kombucha tea" is asterisked and their kombucha culture is fermented in spring water, organic tea, and organic sugar cane. 

Guess I won't be trying this brand right now!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Aratay said:

I just found this thread while looking to see if I could have the Elderberry Hibiscus flavor. I went back to the ingredients list and noticed that their "Organic kombucha tea" is asterisked and their kombucha culture is fermented in spring water, organic tea, and organic sugar cane. 

Guess I won't be trying this brand right now!

All kombucha needs sugar in the first ferment, that's how it ferments... as long as sugar is not listed as an ingredient outside that, it's fine.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, cristinamt said:

@SugarcubeOD sugar as in in the ingredients is okay? Kombucha always throws me off. I know it has natural sugar for fermentation. But what makes it okay to have? I'm confused. 

Melissa has written a blog post about this and Kombucha has been discussed all over the forum.  Sugar is necessary for fermentation... fermentation eats the sugar.  It is not possible to make kombucha without sugar but some companies put sugar in after the fermentation, which would be non compliant.

16 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

All kombucha needs sugar in the first ferment, that's how it ferments... as long as sugar is not listed as an ingredient outside that, it's fine.

Yay! I'm new to the world of kombucha. Thanks for the info, I'll go find the post!

Archived