"Dessert"

UCslug

Hello all,

I need help! I am meeting some people tonight that I only know through a Paleo facebook group. We are meeting at a restaurnat that serves all Paleo food and even AIP compliant food, no grains (except rice) allowed, all healthy cooking oils, the whole 9 yards. Just found out yesterday they are part of "restaurant week" and will have a pre fix menu which would make dinner a whole lot more affordable. Of course the 3 course meal comes with dessert. My husband and I are on day 22 of our January whole30 so the question is do I order the pre fix meal and eat the desert, order the meal and just skip the desert or hope they still have their regular menu and pay for that (guess actually in that case it would be cheaper to still get the pre fix menu and skip dessert). Here are the ingredients for the two dessert I can chose from, would any of them be "ok" on whole30. I almost hate to ask because I know that the answer is no and I know that and would feel like I didn't do the whole program if I ate it so probably I should just skip it. 

1. Apple crumble: cinnamon roasted apples with cassava flour

2. Avocado tart: avocado puree with pomelo, lemon and a cocnut flour crust

Dinner is tonight, so any insight today would be great! Thank you!

• Administrators

If you are committed to doing a Whole30, you would not eat these desserts.  These are, at the best, SWYPO and at the worst, outright baked goods/creations for dessert.

Up to you what you want to do as far as the menu and how to order but you should not even consider these during your Whole30, sorry!

• Moderators

I'd say neither of those is in the spirit of Whole30 -- they violate the using nut flours/other flours to recreate regular desserts.

You might call the restaurant during a non-rush time and ask if there's a way you can sub fruit for the dessert on the menu, or sub an extra veggie or something with your meal. You don't need the dessert, but if they offer fruit, you'd have some food in front of you while everyone else does too. Or skip the dessert and just have some coffee or tea.

(If they're a paleo restaurant, there's a good chance someone there will have heard of Whole30, which should make it easier to explain to them what's going on.) 

You can also give them a call and see if their regular menu will be available. If it is, go ahead and just order off the regular menu. Usually, a prix fixe menu will be cheaper if you want a 3 course meal, but if you just want an entree, then just order an entree (the entree portion off the regular menu may also be larger than the prix fixe). Have coffee or tea while everyone else is having dessert :) 

Archived