5 days in, stomach problems & issues adding fats

Jmumford

Good morning,

My husband and I are on day 5 of the Whole30. Since day 2 we both have been having diarrhea and today we both had a stomach ache in the morning. I have been reading a bit about FODMAPS and think that may be the source, but thought I would post here to see if it may be something else. I am also having problems adding enough fats to my meals, my husband has been adding avocado and I don't really care for it, so ideas for adding fat would be helpful as well.

Our last few days of meals are as follows:

Tuesday

B - 3-4 fried eggs, carrots, cashews for me & 1/2 avocado for him

L - Steak, celery with cashew butter

D - Turkey, carrots & potatoes made in crockpot in chicken broth

Wednesday

B - 3-4 fried eggs, carrots, cashews for me & 1/2 avocado for him

L - Turkey, carrots & potatoes made in crockpot in chicken broth

D - Chicken stir fry with snap peas, carrots, broccoli, spinach and sprouts made with clarified butter & olive oil dressing

• Moderators

Sorry you're having some stomach issues.

Your meals look pretty good -- though you don't specify how much turkey, steak, chicken you are eating. Is it at least your palm-size?

Initial thoughts:

Get rid of the cashews. Nuts are notoriously difficult on the stomach. Take a break for a few days then try adding it back once a day at most and see how you feel.

Eat only cooked veggies and avoid raw for a few days. Cooked veggies are easier on the stomach.

Other fat source ideas:

More fat in the pan you're cooking in - just scrape the excess out over your eggs

Drizzle soup with additional olive oil

Add ghee or coconut oil to a baked sweet or white potato

a big handful of olives

Homemade mayo is another great fat source :)

And if like me you're not a huge fan of mayo, try mixing it with hot sauce or garlic or ginger or some other strong flavoring element to make aioli, and then use it as a dipping sauce for meat, or thin it out a bit and drizzle it over eggs or cooked veggies.

This is also a good trick if you're not a big fan of a new mayo variation. Throw in a lot of garlic or Frank's Hot Sauce and you might not taste the base mayo anymore :)

Some variations are also more appealing to different people. I don't much like ACV in my mayo, I like lemon and/or lime juice.

Archived