Kombucha

• Moderators

What do you want to know? Brands to look for to buy, or how to make them? 

If it's how to make them, fermented vegetables are really easy. Basically, you just need the vegetables, salt, and in some cases, water. This website has some good recipes -- not all of them are Whole30 compliant, she has some for soy and stuff, but she's got basics like sauerkraut, kimchi, and others.  Many sites will say you need whey or a starter to ferment, but, at least with vegetables, that's not true, you just need salt. If you're on Facebook, I've found this group to be helpful. The Whole30 blog recently had this interview with Sandor Katz, author of Wild Fermentation, and there will be a part 2 of the interview posting soon.

Kombucha is a little different, in that you do need a starter (a SCOBY plus some liquid from a previous batch). Kombucha Kamp has a lot of good information, plus I think their store ships just about anywhere, and there's a 60-page discussion here in the forum from people who here who make their own. 

If you have more specific questions, definitely ask.

• Moderators

In the US, Wildbrine, Bubbies, and Farmhouse Culture seem to be the biggest brands, and if there's a Trader Joe's near you, I think they have some under their brand. There may also be other brands available in your area. All of these should be in the refrigerated section. All the brands I mentioned make a regular sauerkraut, Bubbies also makes fermented pickles (not all pickles in the refrigerated section are fermented -- if they list vinegar as an ingredient, they're not fermented), and Wildbrine and Farmhouse Culture both have Kimchi and other options. For these and any other brands you see, read the labels -- I know there were some versions of kimchi from Wildbrine that used soy, so those would be out during your Whole30, and of course check for other non-compliant foods.

For kombucha, GT's brand should all be compliant, and they're available all over the US. The other big brand that I see in Target and WalMart a lot is one called Live -- it has stevia and isn't compliant. There are other brands, and may be something made local-ish to you if you check local health food stores or farmers markets, GT's is just one I know is typically available in the US.

If you're not in the US, you might want to mention where you are, at least as far as what country, so someone from there can weigh in on brands.

I'm in Australia and we have some great kombuchas here now (getting to be popular!). Mojo, Remedy, Grateful Harvest, Good Brew and Buchi.

There's a lot of brands for veggies, but my favourite is Peace, Love and Vegetables both for it's amusing name and also selling different size jars including smaller sizes (a lot of the veggies here only come in giant jars and I just can't eat them all).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

is kombucha considered a fruit serving? i know there is fruit juice in each bottle. I drink synergy. There is 4g sugar per bottle which is 2 servings. That isnt even close to the amount of sugar in a serving of fruit, so im guessing its ok if I drink this without counting it towards my fruit for the day. Just wanted to verify.

• Moderators

We don't really do calculations like that... we don't think of fruit as how much sugar is in it, we consider fruit a whole food with fiber, vitamins and minerals along with fructose.

The recommendation is no more than 1-2 fruit servings a day with meals (not on their own as snacking).

Liquids other than water should be used sparingly as there is no duplicate for cool, clear water.

You can certainly eat fruit and drink synergy every day in whatever quantities you feel comfortable with, knowing that replacing veg with fruit and water with KT are going to get you less than stellar results... 

Archived