Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

kb0426

Hi!

Susan had a wonderful idea of having one place where it is all things related to making/brewing Kombucha could be asked and answered. There are several of us that are newbies at this (me) and some real pros out there (Susan, Miss Mary, Nadia...) and thought that one place to keep all things related to making your own kombucha would be helpful for others embarking on this journey.

I have begun the process of making my own SCOBY (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast) and if this is an epic failure, will end up getting SCOBY locally. I have heard Craig's List is a great source for people giving away free SCOBY to a good home! My potential source is one from Miss Mary!

I am reading up on the process to actually make the kombucha. Just like when I made my own sauerkraut for the first time, I am a little intimidated! This isn't something my mother taught me how to do growing up!

We will all learn together!

• Like 15

Awesome idea! Plus one for the n00bs right here ... Three weeks ago I didn't know what kombucha was, and now I (hopefully) have a pet SCOBY growing in my kitchen. Either that or I am farming mould.

Apparently getting into this makes you crazy so it'll be nice to have a place for us loonies to hang out together :)

• Like 7

Thanks Lisa! The more information I can get my hands on the better!

What flavors have you made? I am obsessed with thoughts of one flavor - mango blackberry jalapeno. I keep talking about it, I just can't wait for the time when I can actually make it! It happens to be based off of a cocktail I had once, so I know the combination is good :).

The link I used for making my SCOBY (or should I say attempting to make) is http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-to-grow-a-kombucha-scoby/. It is a little different than yours in that this has me mix the kombucha with the tea right away. Fingers crossed that I have the same success you have had! I want my booch!

KB, that's exactly how I've started mine. I have filmy white stuff going on, and some little danglers. Good luck to both of us.

That flavour sounds beautiful. I think the flavour-choosing is going to be the best part of the process :)

Hello kombucha friends! I made my first scoby from GT's plain and it worked just fine. BUT if yours doesn't work, kb, I'm happy to share :) . Oh and for the record: fav flavor so far is blueberry/lemon/ginger...although blackberry/lemon was pretty awesome.

• Like 2

Wow! There are some great flavor suggestions in this thread so far. Thanks everyone.

So far I've only made the plain version and cherry flavored. I added 1 ounce of organic cherry juice (cherries the only ingredient) into a 16 ounce bottle. The first time I added 2 ounces of juice and the Booch was too sweet. I'm bottling my first batch with my own Scoby tomorrow and I think I'm going to experiment with blackberries, blueberries and lemon. Yum.

kb0426 - your mango-blackberry-jalapeno sounds amazing. If you make it, please let us know how it tastes, and how many jalapeno peppers you added.

Good luck, everyone!

Favorite booch flavor. Fresh coconut water (yes..from a young thai coconut), mango and mint.

Phwoar.

How do I make my baby grow faster? I neeeeeeeed to start trying some of these flavours.

Yay! A kombucha thread! I have a gifted scoby brewing her second batch right now. I'm very nervous that the scoby is ok. I plan to make this batch into blueberry giner.

Mary - how did you make your berry ginger lemon?

Anyone know how to make it fizzy like the store bought kombucha?

So, the 2nd fermentation is the way to get fizz? Do I just put the kombucha in the bottles, add some flavoring and let it sit on the counter for 4 days before refridgerating/drinking?

Mary - how did you make your berry ginger lemon?

Anyone know how to make it fizzy like the store bought kombucha?

I've done it by getting fresh ginger juice from the juice bar at the co-op but sometimes I cheat a little bit (don't tell the whole30 police!) and use prepackaged ginger/lemon/honey stuff (ginger soother from ginger people). One small bottle split evenly over about 2 gallons of kombucha. Add in whatever berries. Close it up tight and leave it on the counter for up to a week before refrigerating. I used to do 48-hours for second ferment, but it really does get better around day 5 or so. From what I'm told, less air (fill to tippy top), more time, and more sugar during second ferment means bubbles might be possible? I never seem to get bubbles.
  • Like 3

Thanks, Mary. I'll try to be patient and give the 2nd ferment some time. I didn't do a 2nd ferment at all last time. I hate being patient!

Which co-op do you go to for fresh ginger juice? I don't think Fresh & Natural has fresh juice. If it wasn't threatening to storm, I'd bike down there today to check. There is a small super crunchy co-op not too far from my office (midway-ish). I could try that one.

Uh-oh! We're supposed to "burp" the bottles? What does this mean? If anyone is a prime candidate for a Kombucha Explosion it would be me. Things like that just happen to me, lol.

So, if I bottle my Kombucha, and leave it on the counter for 4 days to let it fizz, at what point do I "burp" the bottles? And how do I do that?

Thanks.

Lisa

• Like 2

Believe me, if anyone here has a kombucha explosion, it will be me. This is a serious concern!

I have said the same thing! I plan on my second fermentation being done where the least amount of collateral damage can be incurred from an explosion.

• Like 1