Hello! I am Abbie and I am planning to start May 1 as well! I have a few coworkers who recently completed the W30 and feel amazing. I am doing this to try to help my body feel more energized and comfortable without so much bloating every day from the constant crap I am putting into it! I am nervous because sweets are hard for me to say no to and I have always had a hard time sticking to diet plans. What I like about the W30 is that the meal plan is realistic in its servings and from what I hear, meals are satisfying and keep you full. I plan to read the W30 book before I start. 

I have a toddler at home so I think my biggest challenge will be meal prepping consistently. If anyone has ideas of meals that can be easy put together or things they have made that can be made in bulk and used for multiple days, etc., please send them my way! 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

Excited and nervous to be starting May 1st as well. Preparing for the days ahead now, clearing out my cabinets (using them up/throwing away/giving to family members). My husband is loving some what doing this with me to help me stay on track. I'm doing this many for myself but for my family as well. Myself in a sense to get my confidence back and get that food freedom. For my family to get the energy and positivity back in the household that tends to diminish because of poor eating habits and setting a better example for my toddler. I know i'll have hard days so I happy I have family and this forum to get me through it. I hope everyone sticks to the whole 30 no matter what.

Hey Kyramichelle ! 

Good to see a fellow nurse doing the Whole 30 :) On the W30 plan you are supposed to eat three meals that are supposed to be 4 or so hours apart and big enough to keep you full until the next meal, and ideally no snacking. I don't know about you, but with working 12 hour shifts I have my first meal at about 630am so if I only ate three meals that would be something like 630-1030-1430 for three meals so thats not going to fly hah I will definitely need some snacks/extra meals in between! Then theres the whole other topic of night shifts which will be a bit tricky to manage with the switched sleep/wake schedule but I think I'm just going to do 3 meals and 2 snacks a day whether its night shift or day shift. Does any one have any tricks or tips for longer days or experience with working night shifts while doing the Whole30? Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

Hi all! I'm in Baltimore. The only things I'm worried about is NO artificial sweeteners? I am trying to taper before May 1 but that one worries me. Also I'm afraid of being hungry. I don't see how I'm going to get through the day without snacking.

Anybody have any ideas about how to eat veg for breakfast (other than mixing with eggs)?

What are your biggest worries going in?

Janet

Janet,

My go to breakfast since my first Whole30 almost 3 years ago has been frozen spinach sautéed in coconut oil, 3 fried eggs (in same pan next to spinach) and a sweet potato that I rinse, wrap in paper towel and microwave for 6-8 min, then peel, mash with a fork and add ghee or coconut oil to. This breakfast keeps me full and even for the whole day. I always feel hungry when I don't have that breakfast. It's important to get enough protein, fat and veggies. :-) if you follow the meal template and drink lots of water you should be fine without needing snacks.

Hey Sbg, I am not a night shift worker but I teach and often work through lunch/tutor students, so I have been thinking about easy filling lunches when smoothies and burritos/sandwiches are off the table.

I have been wondering if I can make a soup I can drink like a smoothie:  veggie based but filling enough that it gets me through.

Experienced Whole30 types:  is that cheating, since it is "smoothie" esque?

Hey Sbg, I am not a night shift worker but I teach and often work through lunch/tutor students, so I have been thinking about easy filling lunches when smoothies and burritos/sandwiches are off the table.

I have been wondering if I can make a soup I can drink like a smoothie: veggie based but filling enough that it gets me through.

Experienced Whole30 types: is that cheating, since it is "smoothie" esque?

I read that smoothies aren't allowed because we wouldn't be chewing our food. Chewing sends a particular message to our bodies (which is also why gum isn't allowed) regarding nourishment. Under those guidelines, veggie smoothies wouldn't be allowed, either.

I'm also a teacher, so I understand your predicament! I'm going to try using lettuce as a wrap.

• Moderators

I have been wondering if I can make a soup I can drink like a smoothie:  veggie based but filling enough that it gets me through.

Experienced Whole30 types:  is that cheating, since it is "smoothie" esque?

Soups are generally okay -- they're generally vegetable heavy, unlike most smoothies that tend to have a serving or more of fruit in each one. It would still be best if you had something you were chewing -- have a couple of hard boiled eggs on the side, or cut some grilled chicken into slices so you can just grab one as you have time maybe?

When you start chewing your food, that's actually the first step in the digestive process, and starts all the rest of the digestive system getting primed and ready to deal with whatever you're eating, so at least try to get a few bites of something in before you start drinking your soup. Most people find that food they chew is more filling, and will stay with them longer than food they just drink, so you may end up feeling hungry faster if you just have soup.

Soups are generally okay -- they're generally vegetable heavy, unlike most smoothies that tend to have a serving or more of fruit in each one. It would still be best if you had something you were chewing -- have a couple of hard boiled eggs on the side, or cut some grilled chicken into slices so you can just grab one as you have time maybe?

When you start chewing your food, that's actually the first step in the digestive process, and starts all the rest of the digestive system getting primed and ready to deal with whatever you're eating, so at least try to get a few bites of something in before you start drinking your soup. Most people find that food they chew is more filling, and will stay with them longer than food they just drink, so you may end up feeling hungry faster if you just have soup.

Thank you: that clears up a lot!  I am going to try the lettuce wraps set up for grab and go lunches.

Wow so many people starting on Sunday!  I'm pumped :)

I did a mini cookup today with chicken thighs and roast onions, peppers, carrots and garlic cloves in the oven, steam-sauteed broccoli and kale, and my first ever bone broth is brewing in the slow cooker!  I plan to do more cooking Saturday to prep for my first week.

Hi all! I'm in Baltimore. The only things I'm worried about is NO artificial sweeteners? I am trying to taper before May 1 but that one worries me. Also I'm afraid of being hungry. I don't see how I'm going to get through the day without snacking.

Anybody have any ideas about how to eat veg for breakfast (other than mixing with eggs)?

What are your biggest worries going in?

Janet

If you follow the template you will not be hungry between meals.

My go to breakfast is 1 1/2 cups of sauteed cabbage, an Aidelle's apple chicken sausage and 3 eggs soft scrambled. The great thing is that the cabbage doesn't have an overpowering flavor and is really just there for crunch. This easily keeps me for 5 hours. 

Hey Kyramichelle ! 

Good to see a fellow nurse doing the Whole 30 :) On the W30 plan you are supposed to eat three meals that are supposed to be 4 or so hours apart and big enough to keep you full until the next meal, and ideally no snacking. I don't know about you, but with working 12 hour shifts I have my first meal at about 630am so if I only ate three meals that would be something like 630-1030-1430 for three meals so thats not going to fly hah I will definitely need some snacks/extra meals in between! Then theres the whole other topic of night shifts which will be a bit tricky to manage with the switched sleep/wake schedule but I think I'm just going to do 3 meals and 2 snacks a day whether its night shift or day shift. Does any one have any tricks or tips for longer days or experience with working night shifts while doing the Whole30? Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

Remember that snacking is not allowed, instead eat as much as you can of an actual template meal. So maybe make two template meals to take to work and eat off of them when you can at work. 

There are a lot of great resources out there for us. TesseMae's has a whole condiment pack that is Whole 30 Approved and includes things like ketchup. They also have an amazing Chesapeake Mayo that I love to mix with canned tuna to get my fat in at meals like lunch or dinner.

I also do batch cooking, but make sure to put the food in containers and the fridge immediately...meaning while it's still pipping hot. I found some glass containers on Amazon and bought two sets of them. They are safe to go into the fridge, freezer, microwave and oven (but I would never put a cold glass dish in the oven). Great thing is the lids provide an air tight seal, are BPA free and warrantied for life.

On Sunday I will throw 4-5 chicken breasts and 5 -6 chicken thighs into the crockpot with the Southwest dressing from TesseMae's and cook on high for 5 hours. Put that right into a glass dish and I have really easy protein to pull out all week when I need something quick. I also cut up a lot of veggies on the weekend and have a micro-steamer so I can steam them very quickly. I can have a nutritious meal on my plate in under 10 minutes if necessary. I often will have a mini guac to help get my fat. I also will put a spaghetti squash in the crock pot on the weekend and let it cook for 4 hours on high to have an easy grab and go veggie that I love. Make sure you poke 10 or so holes with a knife in it.

Another tip I learned is that I needed a digestive enzyme to help me digest the extra protein (issue from prolonged gall bladder disease) and I really had to limit my starchy carbs to one fist serving a week. 

I got my tessemae's yesterday!  So many things to marinate now:)

Eusebius, what kind of bone broth did you make? 

I made a huge batch of Sunshine Sauce yesterday, it is so amazing,  but I added extra cayenne and some cilantro to mine.

Trying to make breakfast sausage galore tonight with ground turkey and a rack of herbs.  And possibly a million lbs of caramelized onions to throw on everything. 

I made nomnompaleo's slow cooker bone broth.  SO good! 

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3615609338/slow-cooker-beef-bone-broth

And it turns out it came in really handy, because ... I was up all night throwing up.  My daughter had a virus and I caught it. Sigh.  So I had some to settle my stomach and it was the perfect thing.  Of course this would happen the night before I have to play a concert.  Again ... Sigh.

MMM sunshine sauce, planning to make some of that tomorrow!  No cilantro for me though.  I have that gene that makes it taste like soap ... ugh.

Wondering what to eat today to keep my stomach settled.  I have to go to Toronto to play so I'm thinking I'll just throw some chicken thighs, sweet potato and steam sautéed kale into a container and put olive oil on it.

jup1ternf, let us know how your sausages turned out!!

Hi May 1 group! Hubby and I are also starting on Sunday. We are in Minnesota! My sister and her oldest son in Michigan are gonna give this a whirl, and my other sister in New Zealand too, and we are all starting May 1. 

For all but my nephew, we are very familiar with eating whole foods and general food prep, BUT, of course we all make exceptions. I have to say, all my binge eating revolves around things I can't eat in Whole30 (while I've been known to down a pint of ice cream, my binges are mostly cereal and peanut butter and trail mix), and I completely sabotage myself with those things. So all I have to do is stick to the program, and NO BINGING FOR A MONTH! Which will be awesome. My sis in New Zealand, and my hubby are the drinkers of the bunch, so that may be their biggest challenge. I'm not worried at all about no alcohol for 30 days, since I maybe have a drink once or twice a month in general. Hubby's other huge challenge is that he works 12-hour overnight shifts and doesn't have a ton of control over when he gets a break. I've been sharing tips from this forum with him and planning some easy/quick things that he can stuff in his face at work even if he has to hide in a bathroom stall to make time! LOL A moderator recommended hard boiled eggs & meatballs, both of which sounded good to him. Might not be ideal in terms of a well-rounded meal, but the up-side is he will only have to work 8-10 shifts during the entire month. 

I guess my biggest "worry" is fueling workouts as I've almost always just kept a clif bar or banana on board, or made smoothies w/ protein powder that is non-compliant (and I know smoothies in general are discouraged, even though everything else that goes into mine is compliant and I always include lots of veggies), so planning extra meals around workouts will be a challenge. And my other concern is that I've really been making a shift towards vegetarianism, which I've decided to put on hold in order to give this a shot. 

We got It Starts With Food from the library a couple days ago, but I've poured over everything online and feel as prepared as possible. This will be our very first Whole30. 

Hubby and I make almost all our own meals at home, and prep for the week as a regular habit (although we've really slipped on this more recently.) I've made a rough meal plan for Week 1, and we're doing a big shopping trip tomorrow so I can make a few special things on Sunday and we should be good to go!

Cheers to everyone in this group! I hope we can be a great source of added support for each other!

I'm starting May 1st, too. I bought the book Whole30 online this week and have read 90% of it and am ready to go.

My biggest challenge will be the rest of my family! With growing 14 year old twin boys, who don't like veggies and love their "snacks", and a husband that loves food and wine, I'm on my own at home.

Looking forward to joining the rest of you May 1sters!

Ok, I'm back and joining you all for the big start date of May 1st. I did a Whole 21 several months ago. Yep, that's right, not a Whole30. I was compliant for 21 days and, in full awareness, consumed a non-compliant item at the 21 day mark with intentions of resuming my compliant eating the next day which I did....until I didn't. Anyway, this means that this is my first Whole 30 officially because it doesn't count if it isn't the full 30 days which I respect. I've tried restarting a few times mid-month but I think starting on the first day of the month with others is the way to go! I'm looking forward to NSV such as increased energy, focus, clarity, and less cravings. My sugar dragon is some crazy Lord of The Rings "Balrog"-for real!  :o I'm looking forward to taming that beast. Yes, of course I'm also looking forward to a minimal weight loss as I am currently at the higher end of my healthy weight range, still healthy but not at my greatest comfort/confidence level. Also, my toddler son is a huge motivator. I really want to model a healthier relationship with food for him. I want to cultivate a more nourishing connection to food in our home and family life.  Here's to us team. We can do it! 

Hello all!  I am starting my first Whole30 tomorrow, May 1.  Excited and nervous, but I feel ready.  Cleaned out the pantry and doing more grocery shopping this afternoon.  Planned the first week so I think I am ready to go!  Snacking will be an issue for me, especially at work where is seems to be mindless.  Thanks for the tips to combat this already!

Hi Everyone!

I am starting this whole30 journey today with all of you! This will be my third W30, but it will be a completely different experience for me. Recently, I have had some really bad stomach problems and my symptoms are leading to IBS. I have been on the FODMAP diet for the past few months and have had awesome results. So, this W30 I'm following the fodmap elimination list which cuts out ALOT of the foods allowed on during a W30. No sweet potatoes, apples, brussel sprouts, garlic or onions for me :) I'm totally used to this, but not being able to go to oatmeal and rice when I need some good carbs will be difficult. 

I am so excited to test myself and feel refreshed for the spring! I have started an instagram account (@honestlyolivia) that tracks my food and fitness journey. I haven't always had a very healthy relationship with food, so I use W30 resets and social media accountability to keep me on track. Feel free to follow along with me!

I have read through everyones messages and I'm excited to be part of this group! Let's tackle those sugar dragons!

Archived