Pre wo meal

2sweetpeas

Ok, so bear in mind that your preWO will not be providing you with fuel (it will take your body more than hour to digest protein/fat and process it to use as fuel), but rather is a signal to your body that food will be forthcoming so it's okay to use what it has stored, so think of something that is easily digested and won;t upset your tummy during the run. The egg yolks work quite well provided they're soft boiled IME.

For any WOs you do later in the day you may find that by upping the protein & fat content in your earlier meals will suffice, but you shouldn't skip the postWO protein & optional starchy carbs.

I have honestly been frustrated by some of the pre-workout suggestions I've seen around. Much like 2sweetpeas I am also running or doing intense activity as early as 5:00 am. I've found a small handful of almonds is the most easily digestible thing I can have that isn't a fruit. I tried an egg before a run and it was terrible.

Is there anything besides a very strong protein like chicken or egg that can be had that early in the morning?

1 hour ago, pizzaforever said:

Is there anything besides a very strong protein like chicken or egg that can be had that early in the morning?

As I said above a lot of people opt just to have a fat, and if a handful of nuts works for you that's great - just don't go nuts with the nuts as they can be inflammatory as well as hard on the gut, hence the recommendation to limit them. I know some folks take a spoonful or two of nut butter - although, straight up, this is absolutely the ONLY time I'd recommend eating that stuff off of a spoon. So protein & fat, just protein, or just fat. Play around with it. Personally, on the few occasions I actually take a preWO, I'm a 'just fat' kind of gal but I've been at it a long time... ;)

Fruit prewo provides an instant source of fuel when what we are trying to get you to do here is to let your body learn to tap into it's fat stores. Likewise fruit POSTwo replenishes liver glycogen when you want to be replenishing muscle glycogen.

Hope this helps.

I've been doing a soft scrambled egg with a little ghee and a cup of coffee with a splash of coconut milk for pre WO as it is the most digestible and quickest.  I might vary it up with a spoon of nut butter just because I need variety.  Fortunately nuts and nut butters aren't a food without brakes for me :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/02/2017 at 8:44 AM, pizzaforever said:

I have honestly been frustrated by some of the pre-workout suggestions I've seen around. Much like 2sweetpeas I am also running or doing intense activity as early as 5:00 am. I've found a small handful of almonds is the most easily digestible thing I can have that isn't a fruit. I tried an egg before a run and it was terrible.

I feel like I can so relate to this post!  

I'm on week one here and had prepped boiled eggs to eat all week upon waking up at 4:30/working out by 4:55...... and it definitely has been terrible.  lol.  I'm used to taking a preworkout supplement and *sometimes* a banana.  

I'm not really a fan of eating that early in the morning but without my preworkout I've been sucking miserably (ha!!)

@brandyontherun Yeah eggs did not work for me before- or that early! I've stuck with some almonds before workouts (currently on Day 24). If I am doing a run of at least 10 miles then I pack 1/2 Lara Bar for during if I need it (the first few weeks I always worried about crashing during due to lack of energy). I can say I've been able to survive all my workouts (mix of running, weight training classes and some HIIT classes) but most have been marginal. Even at this point I can tell my body is still adapting (?) to how I'm fueling it. I've gotten better at having eggs right after working out though! So I guess that's something. I hope you've found something that works for you!

• 2 weeks later...
On February 16, 2017 at 6:44 AM, pizzaforever said:

I thought almonds were a no?

I'll be honest... I ended up giving up on early morning workouts. I lost my weight, felt better etc. The whole protein/fat pre-workout is not the same as an energy drink or carbs like fruit for fueling an early morning workout. It never worked for me. 

I'm back to working out and have added back an OJ/protein drink as a pre-workout and everything is back to normal. Losing 30 days of workouts did not set me back tremendously and the Whole 30 was worth the break. I think something about waking up on an empty stomach and heading right to the gym is just a situation that you need carbs or caffeine for. 

13 minutes ago, nikki1973nikki said:

I think something about waking up on an empty stomach and heading right to the gym is just a situation that you need carbs or caffeine for. 

In your personal context perhaps. Personally I haven't had carbs preWO at ANY time of the day for at least a few years.

Lots of people still opt for coffee.

45 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

In your personal context perhaps. Personally I haven't had carbs preWO at ANY time of the day for at least a few years.

Lots of people still opt for coffee.

No doubt- everyone has a different body. I used to work out in the afternoon and never did anything pre-workout (I was even low carb for awhile). 

I hate having to get up so early to workout - I wish I could change my schedule. It was nice to have the last week of my Whole 30 where I just said to heck with it... and slept.  

Archived