Starting March 20th. Join and let's do this together!

Laurie_

6 hours ago, shayolaine said:

I posted this on another "March 20 Start Date" but this looks like where all the action is:

My husband and I started Whole30 today. We both have let our diets slowly slip into the Standard American Diet (with a gourmet twist) over the past five years, and we are ready to make a radical change. He's a little skeptical, so we're praying for both of us to have good results. Day 1 was done without any problems, and it was a good day!

That's awesome Shayolaine! 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, shayolaine said:

I posted this on another "March 20 Start Date" but this looks like where all the action is:

My husband and I started Whole30 today. We both have let our diets slowly slip into the Standard American Diet (with a gourmet twist) over the past five years, and we are ready to make a radical change. He's a little skeptical, so we're praying for both of us to have good results. Day 1 was done without any problems, and it was a good day!

That's awesome Shayolaine! 

I went and started a Facebook page called Whole Forum 3/20 if anyone would like to connect and support one another there as well. It ha a pink "you got this" photo and it's blank right now, but may be easier to access then writing in this forum. We could always do both but options are good, and Facebook is immediate feedback and response (usually) if you're having a moment you need support. Day 2 is here! :) xo

I woke up this morning without a full blown migraine and only slight sinus pressure which is a huge deal for me :) I need to find some condiments that are Whole30 compliant because I really wanted to put some ketchup on my scrambled eggs. I was grateful for mustard last night and I'm not usually a big fan. I did much better this morning by cooking my breakfast in coconut oil which added great flavor and added half an avocado to breakfast and lunch plan. Actually using fat is a huge shift for me because I've avoided it during the anorexic years but yoyo back and forth between eating everything and eating nothing for many years. I generally avoid extra fat and thought I was doing better with the sugar but even the stuff that did not have soy still had sugar. Yesterday I at breakfast at 6 am and was starving well before 10. Today I ate around 6:30 am and am doing much better than yesterday and it's almost 11. Jazzercise last night seemed like a lot of work - I was not very energetic at all and I ate a pre-workout meal with protein.

3 hours ago, Laurie_ said:

I went and started a Facebook page called Whole Forum 3/20 if anyone would like to connect and support one another there as well. It ha a pink "you got this" photo and it's blank right now, but may be easier to access then writing in this forum. We could always do both but options are good, and Facebook is immediate feedback and response (usually) if you're having a moment you need support. Day 2 is here! :) xo

Laurie - I requested to join the FB group so you should see a request from Theresa Doorn

We did it! LOL, Day 1 complete! It honestly wasn't too crazy hard, although I find myself very stressed about putting together meals (I developed a cold sore this morning, which is always a physical manifestation of stress for me). Is anyone else having that problem? I refuse to give up my Sundays for meal prep and I hate eating food more than a day or two old so I'm not sure the mass meal prep would work for me anyway. So, I almost start to panic when I find myself coming up on my next meal time and I don't have anything made! I guess I need to at least plan my meals better... 

I made it through the day pretty well without any strong cravings until last night. I ended up going to bed at like 8:30 so I wouldn't run to the store for some ice cream! Haha. Honestly though, I'm proud that the sugar craving didn't kick in until the evening because I was the type of person who would roll out of bed and eat a candy bar and then have Lucky Charms for breakfast... 

I was very happy and a bit surprised that a nice, healthy meal could keep me full for so long. I ate breakfast at 6:00 AM yesterday and made it fine until 12:00 before eating. I then made it until almost 7:00 for dinner (though I was quite hungry by that point). That was something I was very concerned about (i.e., actually believing that only three meals in a day would be enough) but I find myself much more willing to believe it now! 

Happy Day 2 everyone!

56 minutes ago, Hockey4Life said:

I woke up this morning without a full blown migraine and only slight sinus pressure which is a huge deal for me :) I need to find some condiments that are Whole30 compliant because I really wanted to put some ketchup on my scrambled eggs. I was grateful for mustard last night and I'm not usually a big fan. I did much better this morning by cooking my breakfast in coconut oil which added great flavor and added half an avocado to breakfast and lunch plan. Actually using fat is a huge shift for me because I've avoided it during the anorexic years but yoyo back and forth between eating everything and eating nothing for many years. I generally avoid extra fat and thought I was doing better with the sugar but even the stuff that did not have soy still had sugar. Yesterday I at breakfast at 6 am and was starving well before 10. Today I ate around 6:30 am and am doing much better than yesterday and it's almost 11. Jazzercise last night seemed like a lot of work - I was not very energetic at all and I ate a pre-workout meal with protein.

@Hockey4Life I believe Tessamae's has Whole30 compliant ketchup, along with several other condiments like BBQ sauce. I haven't tried it yet but I think it might be some of the only compliant ketchup and BBQ sauce out there. The Whole30Approved Instagram feed is super helpful for products you can buy that are compliant! 

1 hour ago, kirbz said:

@Hockey4Life I believe Tessamae's has Whole30 compliant ketchup, along with several other condiments like BBQ sauce. I haven't tried it yet but I think it might be some of the only compliant ketchup and BBQ sauce out there. The Whole30Approved Instagram feed is super helpful for products you can buy that are compliant! 

Thanks for the info! I have been craving BBQ sauce! 

Hi all! I just found this forum today, but I started yesterday too. This is round 3 for me and will be longer than 30 days, more likely it will be 90 days. I finished my last W30 (45) on Feb 16th, with the intent of taking a week off for vacation (not going crazy, but relaxing the rules a bit), then getting right back on again. Well, it's been a month and I've gone totally off track. It's not been every meal, every day, but at least one meal, most days has been complete and total crap and I'm feeling it. So... back on track starting yesterday.

My husband and kids don't have a choice are on board too, so that makes it much easier. I spent some time Sunday shopping and prepping for us for the week. Chopped/blanched veggies, boiled eggs, chicken breast in the Instant Pot to make 2 kinds of chicken salad for lunches, kale & pomegranate salad, breakfast sausage, bacon, mayo, Caesar dressing, & ghee. Only took about an hour.

I didn't do much exercise last round, this time I am doing P90x3 and I just bought an old Nordic Track that I'm pretty psyched about.

I'm really glad I found this forum and will have others to support and get support from this round. Have a great day 2!

So far things have been going really well.  No cravings at all and lots of energy... until about mid afternoon.  Yesterday and today around 3 I start to crash and all my energy drains away.  I got pretty crabby to.  Yesterday, the feeling lasted the rest of the day.  I know this is only temporary but I was wondering if anyone else was having this too?

Hi everyone! I started yesterday, but just now got around to introducing myself. This will be my first Whole 30. My main goal is to learn to eat healthier, cut out processed food, and see what happens when I cut out added sugar. I do get migraines about once a week, but I don't think they are food related, so I'm not getting my hopes up. Still curious to see what will happen!

So far, things have been going fairly smoothly. The food has been delicious! I also have successfully made two batches of mayo, some clarified butter, and tomato sauce, which I am proud of. The hardest part so far is how much time food prep has been taking. I already cooked most of my meals previously, so I thought I could handle it, but all of the vegetable chopping is taking so much time. Hopefully I'll get faster with more practice. I'm also planning to start using more frozen veggies, just so I have less chopping to do.

I haven't noticed any changes in energy yet, but in the afternoon I start having random food cravings. I think it must be my brain freaking out about all the things I can't eat, because they've all been really short cravings, and I haven't been tempted to actually follow through on any of them.

37 minutes ago, SharkLover said:

So far things have been going really well.  No cravings at all and lots of energy... until about mid afternoon.  Yesterday and today around 3 I start to crash and all my energy drains away.  I got pretty crabby to.  Yesterday, the feeling lasted the rest of the day.  I know this is only temporary but I was wondering if anyone else was having this too?

Hey there. This is my second attempt at Whole30. I made it to 12 days on Friday and messed up on St. Patrick's day...I restarted yesterday.

The crashing in the afternoon my first time was very apparent to me as well. I was also very sassy...then day 3 hit and I was even irritating myself! Just hold on and it definitely will pass. Just try to get as much good sleep as possible. I did have insomnia days 5-7 my first round.  

9 hours ago, Laurie_ said:

I requested the facebook page :)

34 minutes ago, SharkLover said:

I'm getting to about 4:30 ish before I feel very hungry and crabby. This is about the time I do a pre-workout meal though. I have managed to avoid the brownies, cookies, muffins and candy in the office today but I've got to be prepared otherwise it would be real easy to eat the junk. Hopefully this is just hangover days :(

5 hours ago, kirbz said:

Thanks! I just placed an order so hopefully it arrives soon :)

@Hockey4Life @Rachie037 @SharkLover There's a reason days 2-3 are know as "The Hangover". Check out the Whole 30 timeline for the full explanation. http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Add a bit more fat to your afternoon meal, catch a power nap if you can, and go to bed early over the next couple days. It will get better, we're almost to the "Kill all the things" phase...lol

@Hockey4Life The Tessemae's BBQ sauce is delicious! My favorite even when I'm not on W30. I'm not a fan of their ketchup though, it's a bit...strange. Love, love, love the Lemon Garlic dressing and the Lemon Chesapeake dressing is really good too, I go through a bottle of at least one of them a week!! Good thing Kroger and Publix carry them in store. The Chesapeake Mayo is awesome with boiled eggs too. Sorry to sound like a Tessemae's commercial, I promise they don't pay me. Ha!

Glad to hear about everyone's journey's so far. I also asked to join the facebook group, such a great idea! I'm a bit grumpy today. Physically feeling okay but mentally having a tough time imagining the next 28 days being real. Just trying to remind myself that it is one choice at a time. I do not have any cravings, I am more just a bit mentally exhausted thinking about food a lot over these past few days. Hope you all had a successful day 2!

I am on day 3 in the afternoon. I'm not finding the food as appetizing this time, I don't know why. I'm not really hungry but making myself eat. I mean I do feel hungry but don't want to eat compliant foods is probably a better description. I haven't had much carb flu, just a little bit sweaty and hot on minimal exertion. Feeling a bit down/low energy, I guess that could be expected.

On the plus side the last two mornings I have woken up relatively easily and actually been able to chat with my husband before he leaves for work (I am like a zombie first thing, the typical "not a morning person" person supposedly). I have only been getting 7 hours sleep which is not normally enough for me so this is surprising that I am waking so easily. I do not have any out of control hangry moments and I have to say my energy is probably not great right now but it is even and I have had no afternoon slumps either and no fatigue (fatigue is different for me than tiredness or low energy - fatigue makes me want to crawl out of my skin really). So this is all good stuff!!!

Things are going well. Very bored with chicken! Lol. Making some recipes, which is helpful. This is all such great information - I'm so grateful for all the posts and questions and answers! I'm a big fan of Tessamae as well. I like the ranch dressing. I also just made the sunshine sauce in the Whole30 book and that was great on the thai salad! 

On 3/21/2017 at 7:34 AM, Laurie_ said:

I just requested as well!

Archived