April 3rd start date...new to whole30!

40by41

How is everyone feeling today?  

I'll admit Day 2 I started feeling sluggish and with low energy.  But I also wasn't that hungry so packed hard boiled eggs for work.  Ate one with a cup of black coffee around 9:30am.  

Mood is good and I'm still motivated to stay on plan!  Just feeling the fog this AM.  Bleh.  

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started the Whole 30 yesterday as well - successful day!  Have my meals planned and cooked for the week and motivated to see this 30 day transformation to healthy take place!  I did my pre-Whole 30 weigh in, measurements and pics and understand I have a long way to go but I'm excited for a healthier lifestyle!

Good Luck everyone!  Excited to share the journey! 

I was definitely feeling sluggish this morning as well, but I think that was in-part because I stayed up to watch the Men's basketball championship last night (Go Heels!). I had a headache this morning but after lunch it went away, my energy is up a little since this morning, and I'm ready to keep going! 

@fitzgeraldm92this looks so good! I also stayed up to watch the NCAAM game. 

I'm sluggish today too as well--I was up late and then up too early. I also am starting to feel like I'm getting a sinus infection, hoping it's just the low carb flu that we've heard about. I ate an apple with some almonds for a snack after not snacking at all yesterday so I'm hoping this feeling goes away soon. My friends were all getting lunch today and it was really sad to say no, but I'm committed to 30 days and I couldn't break it on day 2!

Hello! I started yesterday as well. I've been feeling extremely sluggish all day.

Also, can someone give me some clarification the meat.... I remember reading somewhere that if Organic meats were not easy to come by, regular factory meat was okay... However, now I can't find that information.

Does anyone know the answer to that? I'd like to get some steak, and I only have a Walmart in town. I went to Whole Foods this weekend and was shocked to see the pricing...

I'd also like to know what everyone is doing for snacks? I've been feeling extremely hungry all day.

The Whole 30 says to not replicate baking recipes... however, what do you think about this one?

No Bake Coconut Date Energy Bites

no-bake-coconut-energy-bites-9-with-text-217x300.jpg
Prep time
5 mins
Total time
5 mins

Author: Sweetphi
Serves: 13 energy bites
Ingredients
  • ⅓ cup cashews
  • 10 medjool dates, pits removed
  • ½ cup coconut, shredded, divided
  • 1 Tbs coconut oil
  • 1 Tbs water
Instructions:
  1. Put cashews in a food processor and pulsate for 10 seconds.
  2. Add pitted dates, ¼ cup coconut flakes, 1 tbs coconut oil and water. Process for a minute or until the mixture comes together and no big nuts or dates remain.
  3. With a tablespoon scoop or a spoon scoop out 1 tablespoon of the mixture and roll in between hands to form a ball.
  4. Put remaining shredded coconut in a bowl, and then roll the ball in the coconut. Place ball in a mini muffin liner and refrigerate for an hour and then serve.Store in refrigerator.

@JJ_Scott I'm not sure on those energy bites. For me it would be too much sugar because I definitely have a sugar demon to slay. Maybe a moderator can chime in?

However, for your other question...I can only eat the factory meats unfortunately. I am on an extremely strict budget because I'm a grad student and I do not think I should go into more debt to buy organic meals. Eating non-organic non-grass fed  meat like I am is still worlds better than Ramen (what my budget suggests!!)

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JJ_Scott said:

Hello! I started yesterday as well. I've been feeling extremely sluggish all day.

Also, can someone give me some clarification the meat.... I remember reading somewhere that if Organic meats were not easy to come by, regular factory meat was okay... However, now I can't find that information.

Does anyone know the answer to that? I'd like to get some steak, and I only have a Walmart in town. I went to Whole Foods this weekend and was shocked to see the pricing...

I'd also like to know what everyone is doing for snacks? I've been feeling extremely hungry all day.

Factory meat is fine. This article has some tips on making the best meat choices for your budget, but basically, you do what you can afford to do or have access to.

As far as snacks, if your meals are big enough, you should be easily getting 4-5 hours between meals. If you're hungry sooner than that, you need to work on making your meals bigger. However, if you are hungry between meals, it's fine to eat, we don't want you to be hungry. Have a mini-meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three. Leftovers, hard boiled eggs, individual packs of olives or guacamole, chopped vegetables would all work. Try to avoid having fruit on its own as a snack since it can cause a rise and then drop in blood sugar, leaving you hungry, craving, and tired.

As for the energy bites, they'd be sort of like Larabars. If you had absolutely nothing else to eat, they'd be okay in a pinch, but honestly, they're as close as you can get to a candy bar on Whole30, and you're really better off not having them at all.

Hi All,

Two days down! I did not feel sluggish today, but was in a marathon meeting from 11:30-3:30 didn't get lunch, and they put candy all around the room, but I didn't eat it so that was a win!

Day 3 tomorrow!

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Kate A said:

I made some too! It was easy. I made sure to have ingredients at room temp and SLOWLY add the oil. Turned out great.  I don't use much mayo usually, but may make this even after these 30 days.

If you have an immersion or stick blender, this is the easiest way to make mayo. No waiting for it to get to room temperature, no slow drizzling of oil, just dump it all in a jar and blend. You can use whatever seasonings, acid, or type of oil you like, just use the one cup of oil, not the 1 1/4 cups a lot of recipes call for. 

Try dipping your roasted veggies in the mayo when you need some extra fat in a meal. So good.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JJ_Scott said:

The Whole 30 says to not replicate baking recipes... however, what do you think about this one?

No Bake Coconut Date Energy Bites

no-bake-coconut-energy-bites-9-with-text-217x300.jpg
Prep time
5 mins
Total time
5 mins

Author: Sweetphi
Serves: 13 energy bites
Ingredients
  • ⅓ cup cashews
  • 10 medjool dates, pits removed
  • ½ cup coconut, shredded, divided
  • 1 Tbs coconut oil
  • 1 Tbs water
Instructions:
  1. Put cashews in a food processor and pulsate for 10 seconds.
  2. Add pitted dates, ¼ cup coconut flakes, 1 tbs coconut oil and water. Process for a minute or until the mixture comes together and no big nuts or dates remain.
  3. With a tablespoon scoop or a spoon scoop out 1 tablespoon of the mixture and roll in between hands to form a ball.
  4. Put remaining shredded coconut in a bowl, and then roll the ball in the coconut. Place ball in a mini muffin liner and refrigerate for an hour and then serve.Store in refrigerator.

Nope nope nope, sorry.  That's a sugar and nut bomb and it replicates something like a larabar which is only approved for emergencies. This type of concoction doesn't have a place in the meal template of protein, fat and veggies with 0-2 servings of fruit per day.  Nuts are recommended to be limited to a closed handful every other day (think 7-8 almonds) at most, so this is a no.

Also, for those wondering, this is nothing more than a sugar high and it's erroneous for the creators of these to call them energy balls... ever gotten energy from a sugar high?  What happens when that wears off?  Nothing good unfortunately.

I felt really sluggish yesterday late afternoon into the evening. I even went to bed an hour earlier than I normally do. But today I woke up feeling great, so hopefully that lasts. I also didn't realize fruit was kind of frowned upon, so silly me bought a ton of fruit for my first week -___- But now I know for the next few weeks to snack on veggies instead. Haven't really been too hungry in between meals (I guess that's still a good sign that my meal prep seems to be working?), I've honestly just been eating the fruit for the vitamins and so my groceries don't go bad haha.

I'm in! I too started on Monday and I'm finding the Whole30 daily messages so helpful! It's day three and energy is still not great but better than yesterday. I needed two naps yesterday and definitely had the "brain fog". I look forward to sharing this journey with others. Thanks!

R1D3... energy much better today. Yesterday was head fog and lay on the couch and nap day, no exercise.....Today I started with a compliant breakfast, started laundry, went out to a hot yoga class , compliant lunch and now thinking about  a nap.  At least I got in a yoga class.   I am enjoying the food choices , eating 3 meals a day with no snacking....looking for my full energy to be returned.  Out of character for me to nap and lay around. 

Day 3.  Morale still high but stools are admittedly loose :blink:

I read up on the internet and there were lots of Whole30 people complaining of this ah....side effect.  Recommendation seemed to be to up the fat content in one's diet so I ate an avocado with sea salt for breakfast instead of a hard boiled egg.  Think I'll try that tomorrow as well.

Otherwise have had iced coffee (with my avo for breakfast), salad greens, cukes, leftover tuna steak cooked in orange infused olive oil from last night & a shot of Bragg's apple cider vinegar diluted in a cup of water (for lunch).  Plus regular water.  Not feeling snacky today which I say is a victory after the last two days where I was glad to have raw veggies in the mid afternoon to chew on.  Maybe extra fats in the morning are what made all the difference!

• Moderators
3 hours ago, k8_ers said:

Day 3.  Morale still high but stools are admittedly loose :blink:

I read up on the internet and there were lots of Whole30 people complaining of this ah....side effect.  Recommendation seemed to be to up the fat content in one's diet so I ate an avocado with sea salt for breakfast instead of a hard boiled egg.  Think I'll try that tomorrow as well.

Otherwise have had iced coffee (with my avo for breakfast), salad greens, cukes, leftover tuna steak cooked in orange infused olive oil from last night & a shot of Bragg's apple cider vinegar diluted in a cup of water (for lunch).  Plus regular water.  Not feeling snacky today which I say is a victory after the last two days where I was glad to have raw veggies in the mid afternoon to chew on.  Maybe extra fats in the morning are what made all the difference!

Sorry, so you either only eat one egg or only eat an avocado?  Have you seen the meal template?  Eggs when your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... that's 3-4 for most people.  TAke that egg, add two more, eat the whole avocado and then add a plateful of veggies... THAT would be a Whole30 breakfast :)

Just checking in here at the end of Day 3. Been doing good on the food and I am having good energy. Did a workout today which was not up to my pre-injury levels but was still good. As long as I am making progress in the right direction I'm grateful. I like what one of you said -- you weren't going to blow the 30 days on Day 2 -- I want to get my 30 days. I did it before and felt amazing. I was already projecting like I'm going to do 90 days, but I need to focus on the first 30 first!! Have a great night everyone!

I started out the day well but I'm feeling awful this evening. I'm so hungry even after having a double serving of veggies and kind of rounding up on everything (1.5 palms of chicken breast, a plate completely full of broccoli and cauliflower, half an avocado). Then two hours after eating I started feeling really nauseous with a pounding headache. I'm definitely not dehydrated. Gonna go to bed now and hope this goes away!

We are 1/10 of the way to success! 

Way to go everyone.  From reading the messages, it seems like a mixed bag in how everyone id feeling, but the great news is that we are continuing!  Have a great day 4.  It is pouring rain in Richmond, VA with threats of tornados in part of the Old Dominion!  Glad to be safe, dry, and warm inside and that my flowers are getting a good watering!  April showers bring May flowers and Whole30 will bring a healthier me in May.

Good morning on Day 4 everyone! 

I successfully made it through my first "Whole30 Test" as I'm choosing to call it - a happy hour with $10 unlimited sangria :o without caving! No headache for me yesterday, but I felt extremely tired in the morning and did have that general feeling of malaise as well as some very impatient moments with my coworkers. This morning my head is killing me-basically feels like I did indulge in the sangria even though I didn't! Very tired and cranky this morning, and haven't worked out since Tuesday, but I'm staying on track and staying positive that it will get better!

I should add that I'm in a part-time professional MBA program, and I have class this weekend. The week before class is always very stressful with lots of assignments due and a test to prepare for, so some of the things I'm feeling would definitely be going on even if I wasn't experiencing my sugar hangover. 

Let's rock day 4- only 27 more days to go! 

Archived