August 7th Start Date

MarieC1978

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting today also and I'm pretty excited! I'm not sure what to expect as I've been eating 70% whole30 for the past couple weeks before finding this program...

Spent the weekend planning, grocery shopping and meal prepping. I love cooking so yesterday I spent a few hours getting everything ready for the week. Hoping to curb my sugar cravings. It will feel nice to know for sure that I'm not mindlessly snacking or grabbing chocolates like I used to. 

Good luck everyone :) 

Hi all - I've done a few Whole 30's and had great results. I never did great reintroductions until recently, when I found that milk/cheese is a big culprit in a skin condition I've had for several years. Grateful to know what's causing it and that I can avoid it.

Yesterday I stepped off the boat in Amsterdam after a two week vacation to Norway, and today I'm back in the US and super excited to reset. I had some good exercise days on the cruise, but as you can imagine, the food part was terrible. Glad to be along with you for the month!

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Yuliya Porter said:

Like what? I have never done whole 30 and with four children I am really busy. If you have suggestions, feel free to share. Seriously getting frustrated with responses that are critical and not helpful.... on the first day. 

You can take anything that you would normally eat.  First tho, I would ask if you're going to be there over a mealtime... lets assume that you're eating Meal 1 at home... 4-5 hours later, are you going to be at the event?  If so, then yes, we need to figure out something for you to take.  How about chicken salad and cucumber slices?  Leftover meatballs and sliced veggies with ranch dressing?  An RXbar is not a meal which is what people are trying to say... if you're not going to be there for a meal and you're just wanting something to snack on, consider the recommendation that you're eating 3 meals 4-5 hours apart and that with well composed meals, you shouldn't need to snack... 

I understand that amusement parks and the like are notorious for being a food fest, much like say, the movies, but you're trying to change not only the food on your plate but the relationship with food, one of those being that we don't need to constantly be eating just becasue a place is fun or known for being a food free for all.

If you want more ideas of what you could take for your meal to the park, google 'whole30 brown bag lunch' or 'whole30 picnic' and you'll get tons of threads.

Hope that helps.  Everyone here just wants you to get the most out of your Whole30 :)

4 hours ago, Karen L said:

Hi Yuliya.  I was wondering the same thing!  I've been to Kings Dominion & Busch Gardens and don't remember healthy options, except maybe a Caesar salad, but you'd be just basically getting the lettuce.  or you could perhaps gnaw on a turkey leg ;)   You must be an east-coast girl, too.  I'm in Maryland - welcome!

Thanks Karen! I might just eat in the car right before going in and I'd get hungry go back to the car:) I am Richmond, va

Hi all, I started today too and was very impressed with myself making homemade mayonnaise for the first time. Never knew it was so tasty and easy. The ranch dressing wasn't a success though :lol:  it split and didn't taste good! However I wasn't to keen on adding unnecessary calories for a dressing. I'll perhaps try it again later in the month when I want variety.

Off to make my Whole30 dinner

I'm @Claire2122 on Instagram, if anyone else is on there.

Good luck everyone!

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Sara Cameron-Ragazzo said:

Starting today too!  Glad to have some support from others starting the journey today.  

What are your favorite fats?  We have figured out very early that ghee isn't our favorite.  Not wild about the taste of coconut oil so thinking Red Palm Oil may be the way to go.

Olive oil, avocado oil, lard, tallow, duck fat, schmaltz... I"m not sure about Red Palm OIl, I think you'd have to be very careful to research the manufacturer because red palm oil can be extremely environmentally unfriendly and extremly unethical... that's not actually a problem for Whole30 persay but in general... also, doesn't it turn all your food red??

Just started today!  Luckily I've been busy and haven't had time to think of eating. I'm used to eating 3 meals and 2 snacks a day, so going 6 hours in between meals is going to be tough.   I miss gum!  Look forward to sharing this journey with you all. 

2 minutes ago, Cinlynn said:

Just started today!  Luckily I've been busy and haven't had time to think of eating. I'm used to eating 3 meals and 2 snacks a day, so going 6 hours in between meals is going to be tough.   I miss gum!  Look forward to sharing this journey with you all. 

Haha.  I miss gum, too!!  The meals have been good, and filling (breakfast and lunch so far), but it was hard to get past my usual mid-morning snack.  And gum.  Every time I thought about eating something, I'd drink an entire bottle of water.  It's tricky not thinking about food all the time!  Trying to find other things to fill my thoughts and hands :)

It's really helpful to me to not treat it as a diet.  Although my primary purpose is to lose weight, I'm excited for the "tiger blood" feeling!  I'm super curious to see how my body will react once it gets past the sugar withdrawals, and moreso the artificial sweetener-withdrawals, too.  A day at a time!  

15 minutes ago, Karen L said:

@Babs3611 

https://daily.whole30.com/

I think you have to do it at least one day ahead of time, though.  And I was too cheap to pay $$  X) 

Thank you so much, Karen!  I'm pretty cheap too but I pony up for this because it's my first time and I really want to nail it!  I did see that you need to sign up on Day -1.  I may go for it anyway.  To be continued - thank you again!

@Babs3611 For what this is worth . . . I splurged for this, as well (even tho' I, too, am in the cheap club!).  I will say the first issue today was pretty full of good information so I felt better about the splurge!  I am beginning to believe I am obsessed with the idea of food and I'm going to need all the focus / advice / support / help I can get!!

Looking forward to that Tiger Blood phase for sure!

Hi everyone, so glad to learn about the forum and begin this journey together.   Essentially going it alone at my household since hubby supports, but not participating.  I had a small taste of the Whole30 previously, but only made it to Day 15 when the opportunity to take a few days vacation presented itself...   So here I am now-- looking forward to giving it a go as the calendar is clear ;)  Here's to our success!  Hoping to learn some good tips too. 

Hi all. I literally just decided to start my 6th or 7th (lost count) whole30 a few minutes ago. Checked the forum to see if anyone else was in and so happy to see the group!  I did the first one (autoimmune protocol) to prepare for the best possible results in an upcoming intestinal  biopsy 6 month post celiac diagnosis over 3 years ago. Over time have evolved to eating by the template most of the time, finding I tend to need re-sets in January and sometime in the early fall. I take the last 2 weeks of July off for salmon fishing and processing and all that generally involves too much alcohol and junk food!  Heated some frozen soup and made a salad for breakfast. A look in my fridge confirmed my suspicions that it's time. Precious organic farmers market veggie gone yukky with an almost empty jar of quest dip beside them.  Heading to recycle so I'll pour that last shot of potato vodka and the rest of that bottle of prosecco down the drain and away I go!  Love the graphics of timeline and plate. Gum chewers, I use food grade peppermint or spearmint pure essential oil - just a drop on your finger and rub on your tongue. The peppermint especially  will also make you more alert. Go easy though - I used several drops the first time I tried it and almost blew the top of my head off!!

@anchorageali Boy, I needed this post.  You are hilarious and we need that humor!  Funny thing is, I threw away a half-consumed bottle of Chardonnay (my "good bye awful habits" tribute this past weekend) and a half-consumed bottle of Finlandia (my husband's "good bye awful habits" tribute this past weekend) so we're on the same path! And, I just reached for my Peppermint oil and dabbed a bit on my tongue.  I look forward to your inspiration over these next - almost - 29 days!

@Yuliya Porter Convenience vs best practice is such a challenge!  A small cooler bag can be your friend. It's so hot there, I would recommend freezing your protein and putting it in the freezer pouch with your veggies for a meal later in the day. E.g. 2 frozen boneless skinless chicken thighs with cut up carrots, cucumber etc (the chicken will keep them chilled) and an avocado.  Paleomg Thai pork and veggie meatballs made ahead, frozen on the tray, and tossed in a freezer baggie are magic for grab and go - your kids will probably like them as well!

Archived