Sleeping worse!!!!

I am on day 5 of the whole30 and my 20 month old is sleeping much less than before I started. The diet isn't a giant change for us. I almost always cook all our food from scratch, I have been avoiding grains, I use sugar (except hidden sugar) only in my coffee in the morning. The big difference is omitting dairy and alcohol. Since day 2, my baby is sleeping no more than 2 hours between night nursing. I am SO DONE with nursing at night. I was really hoping this dietary shift would help but it seems to make it worse. AND he is nursing more during the day. HELP! 

I am am eating about the same amount of protein, veggies and fruit. Probably not as much fat because I am not having dairy.  I am not trying to lose weight or clear up my skin or get rid of allergies. I am a good weight, have great skin and no allergies. I am just trying to sleep!

• Administrators

Fat is one of the greatest components of breast milk and what keeps the baby full and happy for longer stretches. Just like adults.

If you are breast feeding you need to be eating at least 4 full meals each day and ensuring you have plenty of dietary fat. A couple suggestions that get tossed around quite a bit are to drink a can of coconut milk throughout the day, eating cans of olives etc. Make sure that you are having plenty of fat. 

Mostly I'm just posting to commiserate. I am nursing my 10-month-old... and I have been nursing nonstop since November 2011, when my oldest was born. My almost-3-year-old son and baby wake up so, so much at night, and the baby nurses so much at night, and I am beyond exhausted. I am on day 8 and really struggling with eating enough at meals not to snack all day.  I wish whole30 could make up for horrible sleep! I feel you mama.

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same issue! My almost 7-month old was ALMOST sleeping through the night and is now back to getting up twice a night for full feeds. We're on day 10 and he's been consistent since day 1. I'm exhausted. I'm hoping to finish out the 30 days for ME but not if it's detrimental to HIM. Is this really healthy for him? If my food is so much more nutritious, why is he waking up MORE? Is he missing some vital nutrients he would otherwise be getting if I were still eating dairy and grains? I don't want to negatively impact him!

• Moderators
5 hours ago, SarahAS said:

I'm having the same issue! My almost 7-month old was ALMOST sleeping through the night and is now back to getting up twice a night for full feeds. We're on day 10 and he's been consistent since day 1. I'm exhausted. I'm hoping to finish out the 30 days for ME but not if it's detrimental to HIM. Is this really healthy for him? If my food is so much more nutritious, why is he waking up MORE? Is he missing some vital nutrients he would otherwise be getting if I were still eating dairy and grains? I don't want to negatively impact him!

If you're eating four meals a day (the recommendation for nursing moms -- you could split one of those in two if you prefer three meals and two snacks) that each have lots of vegetables, 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein the length, width, and height of your palm (or if eggs are your only protein, as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand, so probably 3-4), and 1-2 (or more) thumb-sized portions of fat, or 1/2 to a whole avocado, or a heaping handful or two of olives or coconut flakes, or 1/3 to 1/2 of a large can of full-fat coconut milk, in addition to any oil you cook in, you should be getting plenty of nutrients. (That's a summary of the meal template:  https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf )

Obviously, talk to your doctor if you're worried, but there really shouldn't be anything this way that would be unhealthy for him, unless he has some kind of food sensitivity to something you are eating. 

Hello,

I'm on day 15 and have noticed a few things that affect my supply while on whole30 (my daughter is 6 months old for reference):

1.  Like the moderator said, eat enough!  I'm eating at least four meals daily and making sure they follow the template

2.  Eat starchy vegs and fruit.  This is not the time to go low carb, accidentally or on purpose.  I make sure to have at least two servings of potatoes/squash every day and usually eat at least one piece of fruit with the other meals.

3.  Drink A LOT of water.  I drink AT LEAST 120 oz of water a day, and normally can get closer to 150.  For reference, I was around 170 when I weighed in and haven't been doing any exercise other than walking.

4.  Do NOT be afraid of fat.  If you're doing all the other things listed above, up your fat amounts at each meal.  

I did notice that around the time the timeline said you go through fat adaptation (I think around days 8-10), I was pumping less, but this morning I pumped 15 oz in 1 session.  The dip may only be for a day or two.

Good luck!

Archived