Heartburn and feeling bloated - normal?

I am on Day 8 of my first Whole30 and have been feeling pretty good so far. I have been playing around a bit with carbs as I weight train 5 days a week and do HIIT two - three times a week. I'm feeling pretty exhausted so I think I need to eat more starchy vegetables and maybe more fruit. Any thoughts? My problem is that I am getting heartburn off and on (usually after eating starchy veggies such as sweet potato or a fruit) - could this be caused by combining the starchy food with fat such as almond butter or coconut chips? I have also been feeling really bloated - like my stomach is protruding. I thought I would feel lighter and less bloated without all the grains. Am I eating too much fat? Could there be a reason for this? I honestly think I'm probably not eating enough fat as I have been so cautious with macros for the past year since I began training seriously. Thanks for your help!

• Moderators

Troubleshooting your heartburn requires more information like... what you are eating all day long, timing of meals, size of meals, water intake, pre- and post-workout meals, timing of training sessions, etc. Even with all this information, we might still not be able to explain your heartburn, but this info should help.

It's not because you're combining starch with fat. If you're doing Hiit multiple times a week, the answer is almost always, "eat more starchies."

In regards to the heartburn, it could be an effective digestion issue. It may resolve on it's own as you get into the second week, but maybe help it along with extra probiotics or digestive enzymes?

Thanks for the replies! I normally don't eat anything before my workout at 5 am, but I've been trying to follow the guidelines in the meal template and eat something. Today I had a handful of almonds pre-workout. My workout was weight training combined with HIIT and lasted close to an hour. Post-workout I had a ground turkey patty, 2 eggs and half of a medium sweet potato. I'm trying to stick to the 3 meals a day, but find that after working out, I'm starving mid-morning so today I had a banana and a small handful of coconut chips mixed with a few cashews. For lunch I had a spinach/arugula salad with half an avocado, 1 tbsp flax oil and a chicken breast topped with raspberries and blueberries. I had a green tea with breakfast and lunch as well (i have this every day with no heartburn). I drink at least 4 litres of water a day. I do have digestive issues and am on a strong probiotic as well as HCL/Pepsin as prescribed by my naturopath. I used to get heartburn a lot but haven't had it in a few months, this is why I am wondering what is causing it all of a sudden again. Thanks for your help!

• Moderators

You need 5 meals on days when you are training. And maybe 6 if you are doing two-a-days. It sounds like you are combining breakfast and your post-workout meal, but the meal template calls for both. No wonder you were starving by mid-morning. I know it seems like a lot of food, but hard training demands significant eating.

Good post-workout meals are lean meat and starchy carbs. Ground turkey is a good lean meat and sweet potato is a good starchy carb. Whole eggs don't belong in a post-workout meal because the fat in the yolk slows digestion and post-workout meals need to digest quickly. However, eating whole eggs an hour later as part of your breakfast would be a good choice.

Many people do not eat enough when they begin a Whole30 because they don't appreciate how much real food is required to replace the calories eliminated by cutting grains, dairy, and sugar. And, when you are new to the Whole30, your body tends to be hungry for the kind of nutrition supplied by real food and may have some "catching up" to do.

I wonder if your heartburn is a combination of needing to eat more combined with the HCL and probiotic you are taking.

To get an idea of how much eating is required to support hard training, look at Fenderbender's log at http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/8674-fenderbenders-log-w42-while-doing-primal-elite-soldier-training/

Regarding the heartburn, I used to have it on ocassion but about halway through my W30, I had it after every meal. :( I picked up some digestive enzymes at my local health store and took them before my meals. Helped a lot! I stopped taking them once I didn't appear to be having anymore issue with it but keep them around for the ocassional instances, typically after I eat coconut anything.

You need 5 meals on days when you are training. And maybe 6 if you are doing two-a-days. It sounds like you are combining breakfast and your post-workout meal, but the meal template calls for both. No wonder you were starving by mid-morning. I know it seems like a lot of food, but hard training demands significant eating.

To get an idea of how much eating is required to support hard training, look at Fenderbender's log at http://forum.whole9l...ldier-training/

Thanks for the info! I tried eating more today and am feeling a bit better. Still had heartburn this afternoon again. I think it may be caused by coconut - is that a possibility? I had coconut chips yesterday mid-morning and today I had coconut milk mid-morning. Both days I had heartburn after lunch.

Regarding the heartburn, I used to have it on ocassion but about halway through my W30, I had it after every meal. :( I picked up some digestive enzymes at my local health store and took them before my meals. Helped a lot! I stopped taking them once I didn't appear to be having anymore issue with it but keep them around for the ocassional instances, typically after I eat coconut anything.

I have been using my enzymes the past couple of days to help with the heartburn and they do make a difference. I think my problem is also coconut! I'll have to take a break from it for a couple days and reintroduce it to see what happens. Thanks for the help!

I have heard several reports of people having problems with coconut. It seems to be rare, but some people don't get along with it.

I definitely think the coconut is my problem. I was feeling totally fine today until I had some coconut milk with supper. I immediately felt the start of the heartburn again. Thanks for your help!

Archived