Can I have the meat from a dish that might not be Whole30?

PamH

Hello,

I'm thinking I know the answer if I want to adhere 100% to Whole30 but here goes:

I am going to a Spanish themed dinner party tonight. I have no control over what is made except for the dessert, which I know I will not be eating. It is not a restaurant, but a private home pot luck.

BUT, I'm trying to work out a way to deal with situations like tonight's since my post-Whole30 will probably still contain some restrictions. Is it 'legal' to perhaps eat the meat out of a stew that contains beer (chili)? Short of rinsing it off in my water glass, what are the opinions out there on the meat issue? These are health club friends of my husband, so I know the vegetables won't be drenched in butter or cheeses. Would you eat the jamon if it is there? PIck the slice of chorizo off of the cheese/bread crostini and eat just that?

I didn't know chili verde was Spanish, but wondering what to do! If this is ground beef I'm screwed. If it is stew meat I might be OK.

Sigh. Or do I eat beforehand and tolerate a lecture from my husband?

Thanks

I would take the opportunity to make one or two things that I know are W30. Ceviche and/or peel and eat shrimp. Deviled eggs..there are a ton of options.

I thought about that a bit too late! I don't have time before I go in 2 hours due to kid activities. Rats. Great idea, though.

• Moderators

Picking the meat out of a stew would be fine when you are not doing a Whole30 because the presence of other ingredients is likely to be minimal. However, during a Whole30, it is important to eliminate all off-plan foods completely. If you don't, you don't get the full effect of a Whole30 and you may not learn all you need to learn about how different foods effect your body.

When I am going somewhere I don't trust the food, I make sure to eat before I go. Then, if I find good food, I eat more. :)

Happy to say the main dish was a pulled pork with tomatillo sauce (no beer), so it was Whole30. I started to pick through the salad to avoid the blue cheese, but decided to skip it.

Much happier to say that the non-Whole30 foods did not tempt me at all, even the multitude of desserts. Not at all! I did briefly think about taking a chocolate frosted peanut butter rice krispie bar home to put in the freezer for the first post day, but that was easily redirected.

I would like to say I am proud of myself, but there really was nothing I did to be proud of! It was just an easy 5 hours. It was funny to listen to a few of my friends complain about how they felt after eating huge slices of cheesecake and/or pints of (probably very awesome) home brewed beer.

And nobody bugged me about my eating.

Archived