Attending a bachelorette party, help!

So, this is the situation: My friend (the bride to be) has just rescheduled her bachelorette party for day 28 of my whole30. It's better than say, day 18, but still... So far I've avoided all bar/party scenes I could because I could neither partake nor had the desire to stay up til 3am+. But this is clearly a non-negotiable commitment. Maybe this forum can help with some strategy.

1) So far (day 17 right now) I've been good for the day but go-to-bed-NOW tired when about 10:30p hits. Pre-whole30 if I needed a jumbo boost of energy for the night it would involve sugar/alcohol/caffeine/what have you. What is your strategy for super-natural energy past bed time?

2) Do you have a strategy for not feeling like the wet blanket at party-all-night events?

3) If I do tap out of whole30 a day early and start again, what drinks will be the least bad to shake off?

Thanks for the suggestions and support, it sounds like a silly dilemma but worrying about my whole30 has trumped my excitement for the party! I don't want to be ::that:: person.

To avoid drinking, you could offer to be the designated driver if you are going out on the town. Sparkling water with lime looks enough like a gin and tonic- you could drink those all night. You don't have to be a wet blanket, it's all about your attitude. Have fun, and no one will care you're not drinking. Eventually, everyone will have had enough alcohol not to notice you haven't. :)

Maybe eating a small compliant meal before you go out will help with energy levels? Almost like a pre-workout meal? Maybe a moderator can chime in here!

Think of all the time and effort you went through for the past 28 days- you're so close to finishing at that point, don't tap out early!

aw I hope you have fun at your party!

I think your energy will naturally bump up with the excitement and fun, but I second a good healthy dose of fat...always helps me maintain

no one will think you are a wet blanket unless you act like it! promise!

if you decide to cut short make a conscious decision to do so. don't go into this saying "well...I MIGHT eat/drink"... make a decision of what it is you will eat or drink and allow yourself whatever it is. enjoy it. don't sit with guilt over it. in my opinion this will save you from the whole "f*ck it I already messed up" attitude. but I wouldn't go all out with everything. choose if it's something special to eat or a glass of champagne.

Thanks for the advice, ladies!

The most challenging thing about whole30 for me has been rethinking the activities and events that would have revolved around food and alcohol before -- hanging out with friends at bars, visiting wineries, parties, etc. All very low key, but centered around alcohol nonetheless. I have yet to figure out how to reboot my brain to not feel left out!

You're both right, it's all about attitude. But I'll have some energy-boosting delicious fat and make a game plan beforehand. I appreciate the support!

Definitely what Jess said: decide in advance what you will or won't eat. Give yourself permission, but also draw a line. Make sure that is very clear in your mind and imagine yourself not digging into the bread basket or eating pancakes at the morning after breakfast--or whatever you really don't want to eat .

At my bachelorette weekend three of my BFFs were either pregnant or nursing. Otherwise, yeah, it'd be tough to totally abstain. For me anyway. But like with food it's a learning curve. Though I'm with you: alcohol was the hardest part of my W30.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to a bacherlorette weekend in Nashville this weekend.  It will be days 15-17 of my whole 30.  I prepared so far by letting everyone know what was going on and people have been supportive.  I haven't told one friend who I know will be a total pill, but that's it.

I plan on working out in the mornings while everyone else is sleeping off the night before and bringing a book for nap times.  My concerns are that I'm going to be super hungry because I won't have a car so no access to friendly foods (and I can't bring most of them because I'm flying)

You most certainly can bring stuff with you flying! That's what your packed bag is for! Almond butter and apples or celery/crudites, sweet potato (already cooked OR cut up so you just have to nuke it), tuna pouches in olive oil, hb eggs, etc. are all easy things you can fly/travel with (I've done it).

I ended up packing a couple lara bars, some almonds and dried golden berries and some apples.  Then when I got in, I made a quick run to the grocery which helped a ton.

The only time I struggled to get food this weekend was in downtown nashville (on broadway).  Most places are bbq which even the dry rubs are no-gos.  I ended up getting a grass fed burger at a bar (no bun or cheese) to tide me over until we got home.

Not drinking was pretty easy considering all there is do and see there.  I didn't even notice most of the time (except when I got tired way before everyone else and when I woke up feeling fine and others were struggling).

Archived