Coffee Creamer

SamiGage

I need some suggestions for compliant coffee creamers. I am on Day 3 and I have been drinking unsweetened tea in the morning as an alternative because I just can't get the black coffee down. I've found a couple paleo recipes online but I am unsure if they are on plan for my Whole30. I am committed to doing this right but in my first few days I am getting really cranky without my beloved morning coffee (and just about everything else >.<) Please help!

I used to use Trader Joes coconut cream in my coffee, but had to currently stir it so the oils would mix well. I am on Day 24 and now can drink my coffee black. It took awhile but I couldnt find a way to make it taste like it used to.

Some people swear by bulletproof coffee but I havent tried it.

I used to use Trader Joes coconut cream in my coffee, but had to currently stir it so the oils would mix well. I am on Day 24 and now can drink my coffee black. It took awhile but I couldnt find a way to make it taste like it used to.

Some people swear by bulletproof coffee but I havent tried it.

Thanks Jenna. I tried coconut milk today in coffee and it made me heave- Is coconut cream different? I'll do a board search for the bulletproof coffee and see what that is all about.

coconut cream is like the texture of butter .. but no, no difference in the actual cup of coffee.

I have been able to do iced cofee with coconut milk. Again .. nothing compares to cream and sugar. But, it also makes me realize how much I was not relying on coffee, but the actual cream/sugar that is in the coffee! cause black coffee is blah.

Bad black coffee is blah. Good black coffee is lovely and wonderful and makes you think of rainbows and unicorns. Good fresh beans and good brewing methods go a long way.

Try making cold-brewed coffee -- add ground coffee to regular tap water and let sit for ~12 hours. (There are recipes online, though I can't at the moment find the one I originally used. I know it's four scoops [with my scooper] to 1 quart of water. It *might* be 1/2 cup beans.) Filter out the grounds. The result is a coffee concentrate that you then dilute to taste. Cold-brewing makes a much less bitter coffee; the brew tastes almost sweet on its own. Store it in the fridge. It makes an easy iced coffee; you can also make hot coffee by adding hot water. I've done cold-brewing with even the store-brand crap grounds that we have at work, and it actually tastes good.

Or a French press is an inexpensive way to make a quick hot cup of coffee. The French press process also covers a multitude of bean, roast, and water sins.

Dairy does have a sugary component, so many will notice it missing, especially if they used to have low fat dairy.

I like coconut cream (I'm lucky enough to get the pure stuff in Australia, Ayam brand), but coconut milk will do.

Coconut cream is more portable, especially if you've kept it in the fridge, it goes just a little solid.

Coconut oil will get extra fat in, but unless you emulsify it (bulletproof style) you won't find it creamy.

I'd avoid the creamer recipes which include dates if you're doing Whole30. It's a no brakes food for many (as a sweetened creamer), and in those recipes it's usually blended up, so you can't see your portions at all. I made one post Whole30 and I found it too sweet, but it did contain quite a lot of dates. Some of the recipes I've seen are also non-compliant, so check all the ingredients carefully, as well as the method (most are blended). I like coconut cream as it has a slight sweetness to it, but is low in sugar and contains lots of MCT and requires no processing to function as a creamer.

Oh and I second the cold brew coffee. Stuff I Make My Husband blog has a great set of instructions. You can heat it up, don't need to drink it cold, the brewing is cold. I found this very easy for prep, make coffee at night, coffee is ready as soon as I wake up, either have it cold with ice or heat it up :) Cold brewing has a much sweeter taste, much less bitter.

Archived