Question about chicken liver

I can get fresh chicken livers at my local supermarket, but I can't seem to find them anywhere else.

My question is, I'm pretty sure these are not free range chicken livers, I'm also pretty sure they're not corn fed, but I suspect they will be grain fed.

Would I be better off eating these or skipping these?

No liver vs these livers?

I'm in Australia

• Moderators

I buy chicken livers at Whole Foods periodically without knowing anything about the chickens they come from. I think they are good and incredibly cheap - like $2.50 for one pound of livers. I get livers, hearts, and gizzards from my local farmer because he and his wife can't eat them all and I am his only customer who will, but he doesn't have them regularly, so I get them from the store too.

I'm in Atlanta, GA and I love chicken livers but I won't eat any from a grocery store unless it's Whole Foods and I know they're from free range chickens.  I get mine delivered from a local farm that's organic and all their cattle & poultry is pastured. You will taste a noticeable difference in quality.

Cheers

Personally, I feel that the good outweighs the bad in conventional organ meats. There's absolutely some downsides to them, but in the face of an otherwise squeaky clean diet, it's not going to be the ONE thing that sends you over the edge.

We stress the importance of sourcing the highest quality meat you can find and afford. If you cant find high quality chicken livers, you aren't a failure, but you also shouldn't stop looking ;)

Archived