Jenna's Round 2 Whole30 and beyond ..

msssjenna

Okay so I have completed my first Whole30 (success post here)  but i feel incomplete.  Why?  because the next day I was eating candied pecans, the following day I had GF pizza, beer, and frozen yogurt (with toppings!)  My stomach is so upset with me right now.  And today for some reason I decide to eat brownie chocolate chip cookies.  I am in so much pain.

I am starting my next Round tomorrow.  I need to figure out mentally why I chose to eat like that.  I was fine for 30 days but once I was 'allowed' to do whatever, I sure did.  Even though I knew it wasnt the right decision. 

I like to eat. Good food, bad food, whatever.  I like to eat.  Why am I allowing processed foods to trigger me?  I have read ISWF and I understand the chemicals in them.  I think I will do a quick re-read tonight.  i need to get my mind straight.

Here are my goals for this round.

-log here daily.  not only food, but thoughts, cravings, mood, etc.

-stick to 3 meals (with pre/post-WO if necessary).

-form of exercise every day.

-stay away from the scale.

-coffee/nuts keep limited.

-continue to get my kids away from morning cereal.

-don't allow family/friends to interfere with what im doing, and dont pay attention to their comments.

I have also started a 30 day challenge on FB - for friends who arent ready to go Whole30, but more of the Paleo approach.  I am going to post to that page every day to help motivate others and show them it can be done.

Unless there are things in your past indicating that there's more at play here than just tackling old eating habits, then maybe don't worry so much about the why and focus on what you're going to do to fix it.  You've already done that by going for round 2!  Woo hoo!  I had a great W30 and stayed 99% compliant for a few weeks.  Then I started fiddling with Paleo-ified desserts/snacks.  Why?  That stuff tastes good is a starting place!  In any event, I'm doing a WholeWhatever re-set, too.  I guess you and I just need a bit more time with training wheels.  We'll get there!!

Last night we had dinner at the Cheesecake Factory.  I shared a slice of cheesecake with my husband as my last hoorah.  Goodbye, sugar.

Today is Day 1.  I woke up to the rain tapping my window, looked at the weather and saw today will be a rainy, gloomy Friday.  But I wont let that get to me.  For breakfast I had 1 sausage, 2 eggs over medium, and 2 cups of sauteed mushrooms/cabbage in coconut aminos.  I also ate a banana in the car, as I have learned that helps with morning headaches.

For lunch I have 2 HB eggs, 2 cups of roasted broccoli, half an avocado, and an orange.  Very random, but it was one of those 'grab whatever is in the fridge to make a meal'.

Dinner we will be going to Old Country Buffet for my neices 5th grade graduation.  I have ate here before during my 1st whole30, so I know what to eat.  2 plates of salad, a slice of steak and a sweet potato.  If I can find broccoli/green beans without a cheese sauce I will eat that as well.

As far as Day 1 fitness : I'm heading to the gym right after work (bag of clothes in car) and going to do a full body lift routine with a 20 minute HIIT at the end.

I came into work this morning and there are cookies, OJ, and apple cider on the break table.  I'm not going to let sugar overpower me.I read a great article this morning about how to overcome your sugar addiction:

http://www.grassfedgirl.com/14-ways-to-overcome-your-sugar-addiction-in-2012-2/

It also goes into detail of why we crave sugar.  This one, in particular, stood out to me:  " The more sugar we eat the more we crave and it takes the place of nutrient dense foods we were designed to consume."

I love to eat too Jenna, I am clinging to the template for dear life now that I've finished my first W30 because I know what I'm like!

Good on you for coming back for more.  First day looks great!  Hope the graduation dinner went smoothly :)

PS: Did you find a home for your SCOBY?

I love to eat too Jenna, I am clinging to the template for dear life now that I've finished my first W30 because I know what I'm like!

Good on you for coming back for more.  First day looks great!  Hope the graduation dinner went smoothly :)

PS: Did you find a home for your SCOBY?

Percy, I did!  $5 jar from Walmart. woo hoo!! I will be brewing tonight.  ^_^

Day 2.

Per-WO : banana with SFB

Meal 1: 2 eggs, sausage, apple with SFB

Meal 2: 2 eggs, broccoli, dried mango

Meal 3: roasted chicken thighs, asparagus, half sweet potato.

This morning I went to the track and did run/walk intervals and bleachers. Did about 1.5 miles. In the afternoon I took my older boys to see Epic, which was a great movie. I got them popcorn and twizzlers and the temptation was there to eat it, but I didn't. I snacked on my dried mango which is like fruit leather. So good.

In the evening we went out to a local event, a 4 mile race. My husband ran the 4 miles, while I stayed with the boys. It was a family event, they had face painting, moon bounces, balloon making, a dunk tank, etc. they had pizza and beer for the runners, but I just stuck with water and a banana. They had an ice cream stand that was selling deep fried Oreos and funnel cakes - which didn't make any sense because it was a racing event.

So the temptation was definitely there a couple times today - but I was strong. I need to limit myself with the sunflower butter, for sure.

Jenna, good job on resisting the popcorn. That's a tough one for me. Went to the movies with a friend around day 20 and asked my friend NOT to get buttered popcorn. But I asked her ahead of time so she could go without me.

I read a lot of logs where people aren't happy with their off road experiences. I know I'm not trustworthy yet, I can just sense it, so I'm continuing W30 until I feel like I'm ready to just follow the template without the structure of W30.

Good luck on this round. You're off to a great start!

Doing well Jenna. I knew I wasn't ready after my whole30 so after a couple of weeks with a little bit of reintro, I jumped into a whole100 to get me through XMas and Easter. Since November I have only had candy once (10 jellybeans) and only a small amount of low sugar dark chocolate.... it made such a difference continuing on and now healthy low sugar eating is firmly entrenched as my way of life. I never thought I could become someone who could withstand the temptation.... buts its so true, don't eat it and you wont crave it.

Calee - I would continue until you feel comfortable. I was basically counting down the days until 30 so I could have the bad foods. If you aren't trustworthy then I would continue with the Whole30 plan.

Juzbo - thank you for the encouragement. I am really bad with temptation and I need to work on it this time around.

Day 3:

M1: scrambled eggs with spinach/sweet potato hash & half avocado. Also had a cup of black coffee and dried mango.

M2: leftover chicken thighs with sautéed spinach, handful of nuts.

M3: zucchini noodles with compliant spaghetti sauce and pork sausage.

M4: sautéed sliced apples with roasted pecans.

Today was okay. My son had his Super Bowl flag football game (which they won) and there was temptation everywhere - cupcakes, Gatorade, candy, etc. we even took the boys out for ice cream afterwards. It was hot but I didn't give in. It was really hard - from my mom trying to give m 9 month old son ice cream , and asking me why I can't eat certain things. I don't like being put on the spot or people trying to go against my parenting. Blah it's Sunday and I have to go back to work tomorrow.

Day 4 : Hangover/Kill all things.

I am defnitely going through the cycle a lot differently this round.  First round I was like 'Yay! no bloating! lots of energy! I'm so healthy now!"  This round currently I am "is it Day 30 yet? I just want a slice of chocolate cake". 

The weekends are always hard for me.  I am up at 6:30am and not asleep until 11pm that night.  We are always running around, keeping the boys entertained, prepping food, etc.  Busy busy busy!  I woke up this morning not wanting to get out of bed.  I just wanted to sleep all day.  I made a big breakfast for myself, because I felt I needed it.

M1: 2 eggs, 2 cups broccoli slaw/mushrooms sauteed in coconut aminos, 1/2 avocado and 1/2 sweet potato. big cup of coffee.

M2: BAS (big ass salad) : 3 cups lettuce, 1 chicken thigh, 1/2 avocado, lemon juice/garlic/olive oil drizzled on top.  3 small dill pickles on the side for some crunch.

M3: pan-seared porkchops, roasted vegetables (broccoli, zucchini, green beans - whatever else is about to go bad).

its about 12:30pm now where I am and I think I might leave work early.  I am really tired.  I feel now like I might not be able to make it 30 days.  I dont want grains but sweet baby jesus I want some sugar.  Which is the reason I did another Whole30, because I crave sugar all.the.time. 

My thoughts are all over the place right now. 

On a positive note, the boys ran out of milk, so they wont eat their cereal.  Currently they have been eating yogurt and fruit for breakfast. 

And i have been exercising every day.  and I put the scale under the bed, on my husbands side.  :rolleyes:

Jenna, I didnt get that tired slump until around day 16 and it lasted 5-6 days. I couldn't believe how exhausted I was, so I really get how tired you are. Hang in there. It must be really tough when you have so many responsibilities. You'll be able to make 30 because this craving will change into something else at some point. One day you'll wake with more energy and chocolate won't seem like the answer anymore. Is there a way you can get a bit more sleep?

Hang in there! I'm feeling more road ready everyday. I plan to finish out 60 days and evaluate how I feel.

I got some advice from a friend who is much more experienced at this than me, she told me to stay as compliant as possible when off-roading or the 2nd W30 is even harder - and it's already harder because it's not as exciting as the first.  I can totally believe that!  So you don't have that aspect of it helping carry you through.  You are doing so well, even though the sugar is calling your name you've been really strong.  You can do it!

I failed on Day 4.  Last night after my Coaches meeting, I went and got me some butter pecan ice cream from the local ice cream shop.

I put cream in my coffee this morning (no sugar). 

I dont think I am ready for another Whole30 just yet.  I plan on sticking to grain free and sugar free diet, but will allow myself some dairy.  I buy raw milk and cheese so I am okay with that. 

Mentally and physically I am not ready.  All I can stress about is what I am not allowed to eat.  I will continue to follow the Paleo diet 90%, and eating 3, healthy meals a day.  I am honestly not upset that I failed.  I am more relieved, if anything.  As my husband said - its not going to kill me.

I guess I will have to move this log to Post-Whole 30..

Sounds like you just weren't in quite the right place to be doing it just yet.  If dairy isn't bothering you then a little bit of milk and cheese isn't too much of a problem is it?  By staying off the grains and sugar you'll be doing your body a world of good anyway :)

Glad you're feeling good about stopping early.  Frame of mind is so important, isn't it?

Psst ...  scoby pictures?  I haven't forgotten!  :P

Archived