Approved food for marathon/ultra training?

heather rose

I am starting training for an August marathon and a September 50K so am starting to take many long runs as well as several days of medium length runs. Usually pre-Whole30 I would do gels, energy blocs, carbohydrate pre-fueling/carbo loading to fill up my glycogen reserves for the endurance runs. I checked my gels, etc...and they ALL have sugar. It is sometimes hard for me to eat nuts on the run. What kind of things can I take on my long runs that will give me enough calories to keep me going? I have tried to eat a good breakfast beforehand of course but still need something in case of being hungry in the middle of a 15 miler. Please advise!

Thanks!

Heather

In this case, I would recommend pureed sweet potato (as a gel type thing) or a compliant LaraBar. The goal is to have something easy to use so it doesn't cut into your run, and those seem to be some of the easiest I can think of.

I would second the larabar recommendation. I have also seen people suggest those pureed babyfood packets. I do half water and half coconut water in my bottles when I go out, especially if it is warm. I seem to be fine with no mid run fuel for half marathon training distances.

Check out this thread that I had started awhile back... Good info from other people on there. A few blog posts linked in that are definitely worth reading as well as suggestions for fuel (& how to carry it). I just started marathon training this week. I plan on having larabars as well as a mixture of mashed sweet potato, coconut milk & applesauce in a collapsible flask.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/10227-any-ultrarunners/?fromsearch=1

From poking around on the forum, as well as reading up nutrition for an event, what is more critical than fueling for the day of the event is how you fuel your body the day before (as in the most important meal is actually breakfast the day before the event). From reading this forum i have gathered similar ideas, that what you eat the day before is truly what is fueling you the day of, in that case, sweet potatoes. I can give no words of wisdom during the event because since my whole30 and continuing eating paleo/30, I have been recovering or injured and have not competed. (my latest injury yesterday :( in er with concussion from a bike fall).

Archived