Steroid and Lidocaine Injection?

I would love to hear from others regarding the pros and cons of a steroid and lidocaine injection in my knee.

I've had ongoing pain on both sides of my knee and behind my knee for almost a year.  It seemed to begin as basic overuse injuries.  The doctor identified different tendonitis issues and I treated with rest and ice and all those things, but the pain has continued.  It's mostly noticeable behind my knee, in my upper calf and my hamstring.  I also have an old chronic pain in the top of my foot on the same leg.  

The pain doesn't get in the way of regular life, but it does impede exercise and even walking quickly.  It also now will have flare ups which prevent it from bending or straightening.  The last flare up occurred after some stretching and was a bit of a shocker as I couldn't put any weight on it whatsoever for several days.   I notice pain in my foot and behind my knee after sitting with my legs pulled up or bent, but sometimes it just happens for no reason that I can find.  My doctor, who is a huge fan of being active, has told me to lay off it.  I've laid off it for months, done the Ibuprofen thing consistently and the inflammation is still there lurking in the sides and back of my knee.

The inflammation responds well to Ibuprofen, however not enough to prevent a flare up AND I read that ibuprofen exacerbates a leaky gut.  I have always been prone to inflammation so I'm really hoping to heal my leaky gut issues in hopes that that is the underlying root cause.  I stopped ibuprofen on June 1st.

I miss running, stretching, doing yoga, biking - all things that seem (even just a tiny amount) to trigger inflammation in my knee.

Will an injection keep my gut from healing?  Any possible suggestions on what to do or try, or types of doctors to see?

(I had an MRI and that didn't show anything conclusive)

• Moderators

I saw an orthopedic surgeon this past Wednesday about the problem I was having with my shoulders and elbow. He diagnosed adhesive capsulitis of shoulder and gave me a shot of lidocaine and steroids into the right shoulder along with a referral for 2-3 sessions of physical therapy per week for 8 weeks. He also prescribed daily meloxicam (anti-inflammatory) for up to 30 days. The meloxicam is a bit hard on the gut and has produced loose stools, but my shoulder is allowing more range of motion than I have had since my shoulder "froze" in early March. Since I am only 4 days post injection and have not yet begun PT, my impressions are preliminary, but, so far, I wish I had not waited three months hoping that rest, yoga, and massage would resolve my problem. I probably will not keep taking the meloxicam unless PT is more painful that I can stand, but I think the injection is a great idea.

i have no idea, but was reminded of this great article by Jen Sinkler. Maybe it will offer a little insight?

http://www.performancemenu.com/articles/article.php?article_ID=536#

Fantastic article - thanks!  I think the more I learn, the better I'll be able to work with the doctor.  I like my doctor, but he only knows what he knows and only knows what I can communicate to him.  Interesting stuff in there and some of it sounds a bit like my issues.  I'll try the eccentric exercises this week as part of my plan to figure out triggers and non-triggers.  Hopefully, they'll not trigger anything and be the ticket to getting me up and going again.

Since I am only 4 days post injection and have not yet begun PT, my impressions are preliminary, but, so far, I wish I had not waited three months hoping that rest, yoga, and massage would resolve my problem. I probably will not keep taking the meloxicam unless PT is more painful that I can stand, but I think the injection is a great idea.

Good to know!  I appreciate your input.  There's the part of me that says, "Let's do this injection so I can get going" but the other side of me worries I'm just falling on quick fixes.   Nonetheless, I'm not getting better as things are going and even the little things like stretching which are supposed to help, aren't helpful at all.  I guess the thing I really don't understand is what inflammation is good and what inflammation is damaging and when anti-inflammatory meds are a good thing versus healing one's gut which will prevent more overall inflammation.  I'm admit I'm quite glad to hear no alarm bells going off in your head for the injection route.

Archived