Fruit?

I am on day 40 and am planning on continuing the Whole30 for awhile. It has made a HUGE difference in how I feel physically, mentally and emotionally. I know it sounds cheesy but the Whole30 has seriously changed my life! 

I am having a problem though...I have totally given up nuts for now because I have a lot of trouble digesting them and they cause a lot of inflammation for me. However, fruit is something I can't seem to give up. I know that I shouldn't be eating too much of it (I read ISWF and loved it!) but I find that I crave a piece of fruit after lunch and after supper. I think this is my sugar dragon kicking in. I don't want to give up fruit completely because I am very active (weight training 4-5 times/week and cardio/HIIT 4-5 times/week) and know that I need to get enough carbs in (I also eat starchy veggies a couple times a day). Is it better to eat more starchy veggies and give up the fruit for a bit until I can get past these cravings? Is it okay to have a piece of fruit after lunch and supper? I have been feeling so guilty about this and am not sure what to do! I think I almost feel like I have made so many huge changes to my diet (No more protein shakes or carb-loading days) and my routine (No more tracking macros and weighing myself daily) that I don't want to give up my couple of pieces of fruit a day too. I know that sounds whiney and lame...Any suggestions or ideas would be great! Thanks! :)

• Moderators

If you are doing okay eating two pieces of fruit per day, one after lunch and one after supper, I would not worry about it. We do warn about using fruit to deal with sugar cravings because feeding sugar cravings makes them stronger, not weaker, but it is not clear you are on the verge of eating donuts or skittles. If you are dreaming of candy, you might be better off restricting fruit.

If you are doing okay eating two pieces of fruit per day, one after lunch and one after supper, I would not worry about it. We do warn about using fruit to deal with sugar cravings because feeding sugar cravings makes them stronger, not weaker, but it is not clear you are on the verge of eating donuts or skittles. If you are dreaming of candy, you might be better off restricting fruit.

Thanks Tom. I am not dreaming of eating candy. I just feel that I need that bit of fruit to feel satisfied most days and to not want to snack in between meals. 

If you think it's your sugar dragon talking and not something else, you could eat your fruit with your meal instead of saving it for last. I know I usually want a "little something" after lunch, so lately I've been doing a mug of peppermint tea to curb the cravings. But as Tom said, and as I've read somewhere on the blog, if a couple of pieces of fruit is the worst you're doing, I think you're doing okay :)

• 4 weeks later...

I am having a terrible time limiting the amount of fruit I eat.  I love veggies, but also feel very satisfied with a bowl of fruit. What would be considered off limit fruits, and what would be better fruit options?

I think you are completely on the right track with your mindset.

My take on fruit: used to be my "swpo", sugar fix, emotional eating... then, to make matters worse,  I'd combine it with hb eggs and nuts to justify the binge and make it more like a compliant snack or meal, when in reality i knew it was other issues and ended up eating too many nuts. (I addressed this on a forum 4 months in to eating compliant) 

I posted that I wanted to overcome this type of eating and felt by removing them from my diet was not the answer, I wanted to challenge myself to control my eating around these foods no matter the stress (or emotional circumstance). Someone suggested I simply find another outlet for stress and to also try "portions" when I eat nuts or fruit.

Interesting/positive turn of events and relationship to fruit/nuts... since those postings and now 5 1/2 months into eating compliant:

I started portioning out those fav foods such as nuts and fruit, and chose to incorporate them as part of the meal. Instead of denying myself those foods and seeing them as a reward, or special treat and then over-indulging when I did eat them. I will have fruit and nut free days, but now that they are more regular in the week, they do not have me by the jugular. I simply eat part of the fruit before or with the meal so it does not serve as "dessert". Though I will still have a handful of blueberries or piece of watermelon... after the meal. For me, it is about portioning it out and not denying myself to a point where i am out of control when i have access to those foods because i denied myself!

I LOVE fruit, especially now that we are in season and have expanded to bananas, peaches, apricots...  I happen to be recovering from a bad biking accident/concussion in mid june and am slowly returning to working out. I read/discovered that blueberries and watermelon contain good nutrients for brain recovery, I allow myself to eat more of those. But like others have responded to you, at least it is fruit and not doughnuts or skittles  :).   I can say the same for myself, this is the lesser of two evils.

I am not sure where I read this, that the body cannot distinguish sugar from fruit- meaning, fruit alone might as well be sugar to the body. So then the key, fruit should be accompanied by the fat and protein in proportion. 

Archived