IBS friendly breakfast

I am 10 days into my Whole30, which I began to help with my IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), and I am having trouble creating good, palatable breakfasts.  For the past 10 days I have been making smoothies (with coconut milk; "In balance" Whey protein isolate with milk from GMO-free, grass-fed, pesticide-free, and antibiotic free cow's milk; spinach, kale, and blueberries) which are absolutely delicious, but I feel I will need some variety soon.  

As well, I am a little concerned with the whey protein powder, even though it is a pure and clean isolate, I am nervous the milk protein is inhibiting my healing.  Could this be possible?  Does anyone know of any other, smoothie friendly protein sources?  I know meat is the usual source for protein (not in a smoothie obviously), but I don't stomach meat well in the morning - credit that to several years being a vegetarian.  

Any suggestions or wisdom would be much appreciated! 

Thanks  :)

Kayla

FYI: they recommend against having smoothies on the Whole30. Also, cow's milk is not permitted on the Whole30.

Can you have eggs?  I love having frittatas for breakfast.  This is a recipe I've been using. I substitute coconut milk for the heavy cream and ghee for the butter. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Baked-Asparagus-and-Yellow-Pepper-Frittata-101499

Raw and undercooked fruits and veg can be a problem for people who suffer from IBS. If you like eggs, you might enjoy egg muffins. There are many recipes out there but in your situation be sure to cook all the veg thoroughly. A lot of people get variety by eating dinner leftovers for breakfast.

You said that you don't digest meat well in the morning. There are some posts in the forum about taking digestive enzymes when eating meat that might interest you.

Thanks!

I did read that they don't recommend smoothies - but I am not putting much fruit in them and I personally find them very satiating.  I cook a lot of my vegetables, but don't seem to have trouble with most leafy greens (other than cabbage).  They also recommend not eating eggs with IBS - something I already know, as they do upset my stomach - so anything egg is unfortunately out.  I also realize dairy is not permitted; however, in the vegan/vegetarian section they say if you are having trouble sourcing proteins that pure, clean whey isolate is the best option, so that's why I chose that protein powder.  I think I will try some digestive enzymes and see if that helps ... as well as some left-overs - and maybe just save the meat portion for a little later in the morning.  

Thanks again for your advice! 

Hi there! I did the IBS protocol for quite some time. I started making a sweet potato hash. I'd heat up some olive oil, throw some spinach in a pan, then some shredded sweet potato, and some ground beef. Then top it off with some avocado slices. It is still one of my favorite breakfasts! If you can't stomach beef, maybe a lighter meat? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kayla, if you are having trouble with meat, you probably have low stomach acid. In addition to the digestive enzymes, you should try to take some HCL, which is supplemental stomach acid.

Also, for IBS, try to avoid FODMAPS. Avacados, for example are FODMAPS and can cause IBS symptoms.

• 5 months later...

For those that have done the whole30 with IBS protocol, did you avoid all nuts and seeds for the full 30 days? Or can I have nuts in small quantities, as long as they don't become a staple fat for my meals? I have a couple of recipes for otherwise whole30 compliant sauces (ie. Sunshine Sauce), but am worried I shouldn't be eating them because of the tahini... 

Also, I hadn't realized that avocado was a potential irritant, but without nuts, that really cuts my fat options down to basically cooking fats and olives. 

I mix 1lb ground turkey breast, 1 4oz unsweetened applesauce, 3/4t ginger, 1/4t cinnamon, 1/2t S&P ea, 1t poultry seasoning and fry in coconut oil until golden brown. It's nighgshade-free, light and easy to eat in the morning. I pair it with shredded fried sweet potatoes.

Archived