The Ultimate Whole30 Starter List

On Day 7 here.  I've been searching for a blog post (or topic here) of the Ultimate Whole30 Starter List (with recipes) - a list of foods/drinks that often require making at home a head of time.  A starting place for first-timers to create some approved options so they don't find themselves in the steamed fish and broccoli rut.  Its something I have been struggling with and wish I would have had it before I started.  Does this exist anywhere?  Can we make it here?  Here's what I have so far:

Mayo

Salsa

Herbal Tea

Almond Milk

Cilantro Dressing

Buffalo Sauce

Clarified Butter

Ready, set, go!

Paleo mayo recipe video: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/08/19/mayo-how-to-video/

On salsa, if you buy jarred,  beware of sugar in the ingredients.

On herbal teas, make sure they don't contain any nasties like soy or stevia leaf.

On almond milk, pretty much anything in a box contains carrageenan.  Better to make your own.

Re: recipes, did you try google searches (e.g., Paleo salsa, whole30 cilantro dressing)? Double-check the ingredients for W30 compliance. Also, check in the Recipe Sharing section of the forum. http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/25-recipe-sharing/

EDIT: This link to a recent July 4th Whole9 article starts with Buffalo Chicken Chopped Salad, including a simple sauce recipe. http://whole9life.com/2012/06/a-whole30-fourth-of-july/

I know not everyone will go out and purchase "Well Fed"  but it was a savior for me at the beginning.  Using her weekly cook-up method saved me loads of time in the kitchen and I felt well prepared for the first week when my body was going through crazy changes and I couldn't focus on meal creation!  She has a lot of recipes on her blog The Clothes Make the Girl.  That being said a few things I was happy I had at the beginning:

2 doz eggs, 6-8 hard boiled

Cooked chicken breasts or thighs

1 lb each cooked ground beef, pork

1 head cauliflower, riced

2-3 different types par-cooked greens, kale, beet greens, swiss chard etc

3-4 Sweet potatoes

Cubed Butternut Squash

Shredded Cabbage

Broccoli, broken into florets

4 Courgettes, green and yellow

Mixed Herbs

Absolutely read ingredients on everything!!!!  I can't tell you how many herbal teas I thought were fine then had to go out and buy all new!

This is a great idea! I think our first week was the roughest while I got the hang of new cooking techniques with new ingredients, and I definitely could have used some meal planning inspiration at the time. I'll think of some more things that have been helpful for me and post later!

The dill veggie dip I do is a variation on Ranch-- this is to taste-- homemade mayo, dry dill, green onions, minced, granulated garlic, salt, fresh cracked black pepper, lemon juice ( just a bit--replicating the tang of buttermilk). I mix together and then add coconut cream to thin to desired consistency, and it is a good jumping off point. 

I agree with Lizzard77 above, re: the cook -up being what really makes this work for me. Another thing she mentions in Well Fed is snack packs. these have been a huge help to me to. Lunch time with a toddler can be hectic and seems to run early or late for me so I carry this along to my morning adventures (read: playground or pool) in case lunch runs late for me.

Veg, like carrot, sugar snap peas, those mini sweet red and yellow peppers

good fat, like olives (TJ's green olives are my fav)

protein, like hard boiled egg or chicken thigh

This is my "day 2" here for the whole 30, but have been following a paleo style 80% of the time for 3 months. The food I go to that have saved me are:

ground beef and other typs of meat

eggs, some hard boiled

kale kale kale

roasted tomatoes to smash into my kale

chicken

kimchi

almonds

Here is a staple  dish that I eat at least once a week:

sauteed kale in garlic

roasted tomates (in season from my garden) put in kale after you sauteed it a little

ground beef with chili

top with an egg and some kimchi! you can also omit the ground beef and pour some chicken broth on it.

Comfort food and oh so good in a bowl...

Archived