~Support Thread for Week of July 7th Starters/Continue-ers

sunnymama

Good morning! 

I realized I used to love weekends because I would eat and drink basically with abandon (to a degree), but then I dreaded them because I knew I'd be "paying" for it for the whole week in between.  NOW that I'm wholethirtyified, the weekend is just another couple of days in the week!  Whatevah!  I ate the same Saturday as I did Tuesday.  Bam!

VANEWBIE  I'm with you.  I have a vacation for two weeks ending Aug 17th and during that time we'll be in a cabin in the woods and really unable to eat paleo or whole 30, plus i will want to drink socially.  But some time after I get back I'm starting another W30.  ThenI think it's paleo for me.

Yesterday (SUNDAY), I had so much energy and did so many things for the house, the fam, etc.  At 8:30 pm I was outside grilling "The Best Chicken You'll Ever Eat" (Well Fed) and at 9pm was making Moroccon Dipping Sauce.  My husband was begging me to stop cooking and watching Dexter with him.

I'm going to the doctor today so I will get weighed. :o  I don't know if I'll look away and ask them not to tell me it or just deal with it.  I haven't been weighed at the doctor for probably two years and I actually gained a LOT of weight over these past two years so whatever that stinky ol' number is, I won't want to know it anyway.  I may just close my eyes!

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crazy busy today and I think I'm over my PMS cravings hump.  Feeling like a schmuck for STILL not really starting exercising. Determined to start this week!  Hope everyone had a nice weekend and that Bets is feeling better.

No feeling like a shmuck necessary.  I've been working out as usual but feeling less energy sometimes, and more easily fatigued.  You're probably just listening to your body.  In the first couple weeks lots of people experience this, but then your energy returns so this week would be a great week to try challenging your body to see what it's up for.

I haven't noticed lack of energy during workouts - I am used to just going and making myself work hard though. We've also been training with a new training partner who is perfecting our technique, so weights have been lower but we've been working harder...

I'm back at work tomorrow after two weeks off...and it's a long one!! Leave 6am, don't get home til 11pm! I've got 5 meals instead of 3 just to keep me going - they're all a bit smaller than normal. Other days won't be so bad thank goodness!!

I haven't noticed lack of energy during workouts - I am used to just going and making myself work hard though. We've also been training with a new training partner who is perfecting our technique, so weights have been lower but we've been working harder...

I'm back at work tomorrow after two weeks off...and it's a long one!! Leave 6am, don't get home til 11pm! I've got 5 meals instead of 3 just to keep me going - they're all a bit smaller than normal. Other days won't be so bad thank goodness!!

That sounds challenging...but you seem pretty determined Amberino.  Hope it goes well.

One of the most challenging aspects of this eating/food lifestyle for me is that I want to be able to take a half hour or more and really eat and enjoy my lunch, but the way my day is scheduled at work, I really only have 10-15 minutes breaks.  it's hard to fit a whole meal in, at least in a relaxed way!

BTW, the Moroccan Dipping Sauce is sinfully delish.  I just had it on sweet potatoes with chicken, for breakfast!  http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/06/09/the-best-chicken-you-will-ever-eat-ever/

I'm often in the same position with eating times - I can eat quickly, but taking time to enjoy my food is much more satisfying!

Thanks for the link to the recipes :) might make it, but bake it, this weekend. We don't have a BBQ at the moment, and its way too cold!

Fiona, where are you located?  OZ or NZ?  We're in our ridiculously hot time, so a cabin in the winter mountains sounds really nice about now!

In South Africa :-) No snow or anything, but cold enough for a log fire.

So I managed to get through the weekend at the log cabin (it was really hard...not!) SANS any red wine or any cheats at all! I had loads of sparkling water, and my 'cocktail' was a strawberry and a slice of lemon in it. I had it in a wine glass to make it feel a little more indulgent  ;)

I probably did have a few too many nuts, but for a weekend away, I don't think I was bad at all!

We did a mountain bike ride yesterday, after a brunch of a 4 egg omelette. I totally bonked on the second hill....I just felt like I had absolutely no fuel to tap into...like my energy reserves were depleted. I carried on, pushed (walked) my bike up a few hills, and once it flattened out it was better...but I was very shaky on the bike. In hindsight, I think it was because we had dinner at 8pm, then the next time I ate was 11am the next day, and 2 hours later I was on the bike...I think my body was simply depleted of any fuel, and the omelette had not kicked in. I was quite dissapointed because I know I am fit-ish, and because my BF then also said, perhaps it's the way you are eating, and I did stop and think maybe I really should "get off this thing which is maybe a bit silly and get some 'real' carbs like rye bread" at least...but I think I am in that cross over period...and I did exercise every day last week...so my body is still adjusting. Can't underestimate how NB that sweet potato is too :-) 

Last night back home I did have a bit of the sulks...I just wanted to be a 'normal' person eating 'normal' things, and not feeling bad about having a piece of chocolate like a 'normal' person can. I got over it though, and I'm ok. But I did have a bit of a moment.

So two weeks in, two to go. Halfway, and only two more weekends to get through. I agree that the best feeling is that now on a Monday I feel refreshed and energised, with no 'hangover' from the weekend. All these 'new' normals make the experience worth it. Pants are also feeling 'less tight'. 

Well, my diet was seriously lacking this weekend.  I tore the house apart searching for a soft yellow cooler so I could pack myself some nourishment for my day out with my son, but I was never able to find it.  When we left, I had not had any breakfast.  HUGE MISTAKE!  It ended up being around 1p when I finally ate a strawberry spinach salad with a tiny amount of prosciutto in it.  Lets not forget the almost 2 miles I hiked at 6a that morning before cruising the mall with my son for almost 2 hours.  Needless to say, the salad did not suffice, but I pressed on and took my son to a splash park/pool where we spent a solid 4 hours.  It wasn't as if I could hit up the vending machine.  I'm starving and we finally leave.  I decide on Champps and order the three pepper Ahi Tuna appetizer.  It was horrible and I sent it back in a bit of a fit.  I showed my tail in the restaurant and informed them that if I wanted Tuna that bad I wouldn't pay $10 for it, I'd go get a can of Chunk Light tuna in water and it would be better than that.  YIKES!   What a bear I was.  

Sunday was dizzy spells and fatigue all day, not to mention that I forced myself to do another 2 miles that morning as well.  I did eat better yesterday, but I guess it will take a few days to get straightened back out and the fact that I have PMS does nothing to help.  I knew this part of the Whole 30 would be tough but all I want to do is stay in bed for a day or two or until it's over.  Anyone else having a hard time coping with PMS symptoms.  I am a total PMDD person.  I am tired but have insomnia, can screw up anything I touch and have no motivation and awake with headaches everyday for 5-7 days.  For me, right now it is a minute at a time.  

I can so relate Cclarkthirty. I am on day 15 of the whole30 and I can say without hesitation that the most positive result I've felt in this process is a personal empowerment and sense of confidence I've never experienced in my relationship with food. A simple shift of focus, that food is fuel as opposed to pleasure, emotional reward, or a stress management tool is incredibly liberating. 

I started whole 30 on July 8th. This is my first post on the forum (actually the first time I've ever posted anything about my relationship to food online and with strangers..) and the first time I've had such resolve about what I put in my body.

The last couple of days have honestly been the toughest for me - I've felt incredibly tired and have had cravings for the first time in my 15 days. I'm trying to just go with it. When I'm tired I rest. When I have cravings, I let my self feel them and remember the taste of the food I'm craving. Knowing I can have the cravings, and not act on them or feel incredibly tormented or feel that I'm depriving myself of pleasure & reward, is giving me a sense of strength and confidence with food that while new to me, is so very welcome! 

Food during my first week was pretty simple. Quick and easy to prepare, but by week two I really got into cooking. This in fact is the other main gift I feel whole30 has given me: a rekindling of my love to cook. I come from a family that cooks & eats & drinks & celebrates as often as we can manage. We love being together. Every meal prepared is "the best thing I've ever eaten!" And food is so tied up in feelings of love and nurture. But I married a man who grew up in family with an opposite approach to food, and so over the last six years, I've lost my motivation to cook - all because it wasn't as fun with him. (Sad but true.) Now, I'm cooking again and have made some great meals in the last week that my husband (who's not doing whole30 yet) says are the best I've ever made. We've been in the quick & easy rut for years and eating out at least half our dinners each week, with most of our eggs in our respective work baskets, so to speak. Re-balancing my work life, and putting more time and energy into parts of my life that actually nourish the whole, is nothing short of liberating. Like you said, Cclarkthirty "It's the preparing of food, thoughtfully and lovingly" - this for me is the healthy version of finding pleasure in our relationship with food. I love that phrasing - it's really so true and a beautiful part of this whole thing. Thanks for articulating that :)

A simple shift of focus, that food is fuel as opposed to pleasure, emotional reward, or a stress management tool is incredibly liberating. 

I could not have said it better myself. Thanks for that teamkaku. 

I caved and had a cupcake a little while ago at work.  I posted it down in the Whole30 Log section.  So that makes me at Whole42 and tomorrow will be another Day 1.  

(and I highly DO NOT recommend breaking, I regret it, my head hurts, and I'm a little nauseous.  I'm not freaking out because 42 days of clean eating is still progress and I am just going to keep on)  

Day done...

Breakfast - chorizo & spinach scramble, with a bit of extra chorizo & mince mixed in, crispy bacon on top & sauerkraut

Lunch - sweet asian meatballs, courgette noodles & cashews. Some cherries after

Dinner - bolognese & courgette noodles a aglio et olio (a la Well Fed  :) ), with a few sliced green olives on top. Followed by a nectarine, about half a fresh fig (yuk!!) & a few cherries (to take away the taste of the fig! :P )

I've had a dodgy stomach since yesterday morning. It didn't affect me too much yesterday, apart from being really sleepy in the afternoon & evening, but today i felt pretty wobbly & really didn't feel that hungry. Obviously i've still eaten 3 square meals (it takes a lot to actually put me off my food completely!), but i've not been as enthusiastic about the whole thing. And i'm still sleepy  -_- Hoping things are better tomorrow - up & at 'em!

TEAMKAKU, I agree with FIONA, well said!  And as I think you can guess, I completely relate to what you wrote.  I've been sort of manic about this new found sense of freedom.  Unfortunately, right behind the sense of freedom is this little voice saying, "oh it's just another fad and you'll get sick of it" but I'm ignoring that mean nasty voice because I think SHE'S WRONG.  I believe that this is the only way (whole 30 and probably after that, paleo) that I can live/eat and be emotionally and physically healthy and whole.  I say that with some confidence as I have tried many many many other options! 

So I have to admit, I also had a lapse today because I went to the doctors and had to get weighed.  My plan had been to close my eyes or look away.  Alas, the mighty scale, she seduced me with her promises of increased self-worth and happiness.  So I peeked.  :ph34r: The interesting thing is that although I've lost a little weight since the last time I was at the doctor (1 yr), I am still significatly heavier than my healthy weight and I'm really not paying it any mind.  After all, I am fueling my body and giving it just what it needs and treating it like the temple it is.  I have every confidence that I will be at a healthy weight if I continue to do that.

Thanks for sharing SUNNYMAMA and good for you for getting right back on track. :)

Yes, I am feeling an incredible freedom.  I never realized how much of the day I thought about food - wondering if I ate enough, if I ate too much, when can I eat again, what should I eat, how many calories was that, is it too early to eat again... Eating only three times a day is totally liberating, and I can't believe I'm so satisfied that I don't even think about food until right before the next meal!  This is incredible!  I never want to stop this!  I don't care if I never see another slice of pizza or soft pretzel again!  I think I am thinner, but I totally agree that this change in my relationship with food - breaking the obsession - is the most important part.

My husband is not doing so well psychologically.  He is depressed and greiving for the food he can't eat anymore.  I don't really get this.  That food caused him terrible pain - why would he want it back in his life now that he knows there's another way?  It's really hard.  I am an emotional magnifying glass to him.  When he's happy, I'm ecstatic.  When he's sad, I'm in despair.  It's not very healthy to be that way, I know.  But generally, it's never been that much of a problem until now.  Also, I know that I am taking too much personal responsibility for his eating.  He has let me "manage" his whole thing and basically just eats what I give him.  It's a ridiculous amount of work for me, and also possibly an unhealthy relationship habit, but I don't know how to get out from under it.  I'm afraid the whole thing will collapse and he'll go back to eating crap, living in pain, and dying early if I don't.  I'd say he needs to take responisibility for his own consumption, but it's not that simple.  (a) I'm in charge of the lion's share of the food prep in our house and (b ) I WANT to help him and not abandon him. 

*sigh*  I wish he felt as confident, positive, and optimistic as I do about this lifestyle change.

It's funny ASKINS, I should be careful what I wish for, because I just might get it, and then it sounds like I'd be in the conundrum you're in with your husband.  Mine (who also has had GI issues his whole life) wants no intervention on my part, whatsoever.  He's not doing anything to help himself, but at least he takes full responsibility.  It seems like you already know the answer and I think the Whole9 way of life provides him and you the guidelines.  Has he read ISWF?  Not necessarily for the exact food science parts (because you said he has IBS and/or leaky gut issues) but for the big picture.  Suggest he read that if he wants anymore of your awesome homecooked meals!

For breakfast, I made jicama fries!  And mince beef with onions.  Need some greens but will eat tons with my lunch because I have to get to work.

Have a good day all.

askins, it is tough. I've come to terms with never having regular baked goods again. Or a nice bowl of pasta with tomato sauce and garlic. But I also don't want to be sick. Maybe when he goes weeks with no GI upset, he'll realize that this is for the best. Also, don't underestimate the effect of being that sick can have on his body and mind. I finally realized I was depressed and started on zoloft last year and it's helped me a lot.

Today, i really want a f***ing biscuit  :angry: Gah.

Breakfast - beef mince/chorizo mix, greens, curry sweet potatoes & sauerkraut. Some cherries after

Lunch - sausage stew, sweet potato with walnut oil & ginger, crispy bacon. Nectarine & a few dried figs

Dinner - chicken thighs with pineapple & lime, roast turnips (with paprika, garlic powder, salt & pepper - yum!) & broccoli. Cherries after.

All tasty meals. Still want a biscuit. It'll be day 45 for me tomorrow, & although i originally planned to continue until my birthday at the start of August, i'm beginning to doubt myself  :( The recipes for paleo-treats have been looking tempting again... 

I wrote a huge big post this morning on my phone and pressed something weird and it deleted - annoyed!!

Askins, I really feel for you and your husband. We choose to eat for health and there are times I wished I didn't care and was happy eating whatever. Sometimes it's frustrating - I cannot imagine being as restricted as your hubby is. It would honestly make me sad as I have a great love for food. Coming to the point where he is happy making the choices that make him feel good physically instead of emotionally will take a while , I guess? I honestly hope he is able to get some relief from the pain and even get to a point where reintroducing foods is possible!

My busy day wasn't so bad, and the lat part was WONDERFUL and inspiring :)

We went to a presentation by a man called Dr Dingle (scientist, not MD) who has done a lot of research in to eating for health, research on drugs (that don't work), and is really knowledgeable when it comes to health, treatment, and the BS spun to us by the government and medical profession.

There was a lot of info about why high cholesterol isn't bad (I've been reading bits about that on here, and decided to buy his book ok the subject), why drugs don't work, how conditions are preventable etc.

the whole evening reiterated to us that the lifestyle changes we've been making over the past few years are the right ones.

He spoke a lot about his "dingle DEAL" for good health - DEAL being diet, environment, attitude and lifestyle. It hit home when he spoke about people getting stuck in the calorie counting/dieting mentality that it actually causes stress that an make you sick. And this stress can see people develop IBS type issues.

We've been stuck in this rut for a couple of years, and it was taxing mentally and emotionally....since starting the whole30 we have both had less stress and just felt more relaxed. We still do food prep, and lots of it (perhaps a bit less) but it has been more enjoyable, and I really think for the time being its a lifestyle we can continue to follow happily and healthily.

Good Morning.  Starting Day 17.  Two accomplishments this week I want to brag about.  1.  I got back on my bike this week.  I have been for two 30 minute bike rides.  I have a crazy busy schedule with two little ones and working full time so this is a huge accomplishment.  2.  After my bike ride, I walked into the pantry to get my nightly prenatal (have to take it for the the breast milk), I saw a box of lara bars and my old style brain said, "hey you can have a lara bar, you just worked out".  My new style brain said, "are you realllllly hungry?"  And I closed the panty and walked away.

I had a fat crisis this morning. I've been having spinach with olive oil on it. We were really low the other day, and I had found out about unfiltred olive oil and wanted to try it, so I ordered some. But it won't be here until Friday. So this morning there was no oil. I really didn't want coconut oil on my spinach. Then it hit me, we reguarly drain our bacon grease in a jar. I just poured some of it on. YUM.

Hey everyone, just wanted to pop in and say hi -- sorry I haven't been posting much but still reading and following W30! I made the beef and broccoli for today, and it was AMAZING (and so easy to make). My favorite Whole30 meal so far.

Archived