~Support Thread for Week of July 7th Starters/Continue-ers

sunnymama

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found this recipe on another thread

http://wholefamilystrong.com/2012/01/24/whole-family-sweet-potato-cinnamon-hashies/

I am going to make these today (minus the egg whites). One of my previous 'healthy' snacks was sweet potato chips. Until one day when I ate the entire bag without thinking (no brakes!!!!). So these look like a good substitution.

I was a little bad last night. I stayed up later than normal (well it WAS Friday) so became hungry. So I had some of my raw coconut and cheated with a little almond butter. It's not W30 cheating, but I'm supposed to be excluding nuts for AI. But I needed something.

I've been having headaches too. I'm not sure if it's the food or this horrible weather we've been having. And my sinuses are in overdrive. I haven't had dairy in almost 2 weeks. Maybe just from the hot/humid outside and the cold/dry AC inside.

I also figured out that if I nuke the bok choy for a minute before sautéing, it goes a lot faster.

Good Morning! Day 14 beginning which means I'm about halfway through.  Feels good.  AMBERINO I had a headache last night too, and it is lurking in the background this morning, but I think in my case it's related to my cycle which is all out of whack.

ASKINS (and others) thanks for the addl info on IBS.  In my husband's case, I'm resigned that he has to make steps himself or ask for help to make them.  At the moment, I am merely inspiration (I hope)! :D

I have a comment and then a question, if you'll indulge me:  I've done a LOT of dieting and restricting, exercising, not caring, moderation, etc over my life and I know the toll it's taken on my self esteem.  I'm discovering that this lifestyle (because it is a lifestyle, right, and not just a diet or even just a way of eating) is the ONLY way that I am able to feed my body what it needs and approach my ideal body weight without feeling deprived.  In other words, I could also lose weight and technically reach my goal on some scale by counting calories or points (I've done it countless times) but it was usually at the expense of my emotional health.  I would feel great and powerful on days I lost weight and was "good" with my eating, and I would feel out of control and bummed out on days I was "bad".  Over the years, with maturity and self work, I've fortunately evolved from that all or nothing thinking, but I think it still has such a stonghold on me at times when it comes to food.  Since I read ISWF and particularly the SCIENCE of it (which I know matters and makes sense to all of you reading this), a giant light bulb went off.  Understanding why my body was doing was it was doing, and knowing what I needed to do to bring my body back to balance, and then seeing the results--It's amazing and makes me want to keep doing it.  No way to feel deprived.  But it's the whole big picture too.  It's the preparing of food, thoughtfully and lovingly, for yourself and others to give you just what you need.  It's the buying of ethically raised meats.  It's the not-getting-on-the-scale.

Ok, that was a long comment.  But here's the question:  Does anyone feel similarly?  Do you feel like embarking on this "project" (your healthy life) has had a positive effect on your how you value yourself?  Do you see at as lasting or as an artifact of a new sense of "control" just like any other diet (that's what one friend of mine said). 

Ok, just a little Saturday morning (or night for some of you) musings... ;)

Hi Askins, if your husband is really suffering, he may want to try a healing diet like SCD. I did it last year. It starts out with just chicken broth and pureed carrots (homemade, not store bought). He may need to baby his system a bit more than W30 can. I was basically not eating solid food for a few weeks to give my gut a vacation and let it heal. Here is a link:

http://scdlifestyle.com/

cclark, great post. I feel very much the same. Food for me has become about nourishing my body, which then nourishes my mind and soul. I really crashed and burned last year, and had to take stock about what I was doing to myself. And yes, it all started with eating the wrong foods. It's funny because if people ask me about how I'm eating (or, my new 'diet') they always first ask, how much weight have you lost. Yesterday I told some one, I have no idea if I've lost or even gained because I am not weighing myself. They looked at me like I had 2 heads.

I am a bit older than some of you, so it's not that I don't care how I look, but it's become less important to me. I'm not going to be in a bikini at the beach anyway. I do want to get rid of unhealthy abdominal fat, but I'm not looking to go back to a size 2 or fit into skinny jeans. I just want to be whole. About preparing food, I was the queen of frozen lunch and dinner. Even when I thought they were healthy (Healthy Choice has to be healthy, right? It says it right on the package!). Now I am making most of my own food and it feels good knowing exactly what is going into what I eat.

I may not be W30 forever, but I can see sticking to most of this with some moderation. The biggest thing for me is larger breakfast with more than just eggs, protein at each meal and more good fats. To not be on the sugar/insulin roller coaster all the time. My dad has type 2 diabetes and right now he's getting out of the hospital and going into a rehab because he wasn't controlling his BS and he had some problems. I don't want that to happen to me.

Great comment and question!

It's funny, we've been living a pretty healthy lifestyle for about 2 years (it has got progressively different depending on research we do and things we learn), but have always been tied to the scales for both food and ourselves, as well as weighing and measuring food and calculating everything. We lost weight when we wanted to, gained weight when we wanted to or maintained. We achieved great physiques and won some competitions....but it was taxing emotionally, and mentally, and so draining! I'd had melt downs quite a few times....

Following this plan, we're do much more relaxed and calm, and I honestly don't worry about how the food is effecting my weight or physique. I'm eating to fuel myself and feel nourished. I think about food to wonder what delicious things I can enjoy next, but I'm not constantly thinking about food in the same way!

While we might have to follow a plan to get specific results for comps, I think this whole 30 approach is a much healthier plan to follow normally from many perspectives!

Completely agree with all of you. This lifestyle is like meeting a love and instinctively knowing it! My meals do not feel complete if I think of going off template and that simplifies things SO much. And while I still crave, it's ridiculously lessened.

I hope one day this way of eating is the norm for America and not the exception. Not because I care about fitting in but because everyone deserves to feel this good.

Completely agree with all of you. This lifestyle is like meeting a love and instinctively knowing it! My meals do not feel complete if I think of going off template and that simplifies things SO much. And while I still crave, it's ridiculously lessened.

I hope one day this way of eating is the norm for America and not the exception. Not because I care about fitting in but because everyone deserves to feel this good.

^this! (sorry, struggling with the mobile site & my brain today!)

Anyhoo, tired & munchy today... Not one of my best!

Breakfast - breakfast sausage, red cabbage & apple, & sauerkraut. Some cherries after

Lunch - lamb mince, kale, courgette noodles, cashew pieces & Thai spices. Followed by some cherries, some dried mango & a chunk of leftover belly pork/crackling (interesting stuff cold. I'm thinking this is how jerky was developed)

Snack - another chewy pork chunk, more dried mango & some dried "super berries". A bit of a worrying throwback to bingey afternoons. Plus it's made me sweat loads :-\

Dinner - asian-style crockpot meatballs with cauliflower rice, maybe some greens, not decided yet.

I scored some great stuff today at WF and Publix. at WF we bought the Bubbies sauerkraut and pickles, they are fermented. My husband's parents were from Poland and he grew up in a Polish neighborhood in NJ. He remembers going to the deli and getting the pickles and sauerkraut from the barrels. I liked the sauerkraut, not as sour as the store bought kraut and crunchier. I'm hoping I get  some benefits from the probiotics in it. The pickles were great. Unfortunately they have sugar in them (does sugar survive the fermentation process?), so I may not be able to have too many of them.

Then at Publix I found Maverick Farms uncured beef hotdogs (they also had buffalo, but I'm not that adventerous yet). So I had two of those with the sauerkraut, some pickles and some carrot slaw I made the other day. Fantastic. Real food, but fun food.

I also got some Roobios tea, I'm dying to try that. It's funny, people say our diet is 'limited' but I am eating stuff I've never had before and enjoying it.

Ohhh, Green & Black's...  :wub: My faves were ginger & burnt toffee... sigh...

Well, i had a good old snooze after my dried fruit binge-ette & woke up rather groggy like in the old days. Bit cross with myself for allowing it to happen, but i promise i will try & learn from the experience (!) & do better next time  :rolleyes: Pah. Here i am, on day 40 or whatever it is & still succumbing to temptation. Sigh  ^_^

Roz- You eat such a great variety of foods!  I need to improve in that area...another day.   Today I just want to stop myself from buying a Green & Black's Chocolate w/ Almonds bar.  Really bad cravings today  :wacko:

Thanks! I have a well-stocked spice-rack & the habit of keeping several different kinds of veg in the fridge for different combos. I learnt everything i know from Well Fed  B)

Serious snack attack day. I'm not eating off plan but my snacks/lunch have extended from 11 am - 2 pm. The food ratios were off for lunch. That's my biggest struggle on program. Ensuring good food ratios to stay full.

Bets said: It's funny, people say our diet is 'limited' but I am eating stuff I've never had before and enjoying it.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Ohhh, Green & Black's...  :wub: My faves were ginger & burnt toffee... sigh...

Well, i had a good old snooze after my dried fruit binge-ette & woke up rather groggy like in the old days. Bit cross with myself for allowing it to happen, but i promise i will try & learn from the experience (!) & do better next time  :rolleyes: Pah. Here i am, on day 40 or whatever it is & still succumbing to temptation. Sigh  ^_^

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

VAnewbie:  Serious snack attack day. I'm not eating off plan but my snacks/lunch have extended from 11 am - 2 pm. The food ratios were off for lunch. That's my biggest struggle on program. Ensuring good food ratios to stay full.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Bets-  Yes, yes, I agree!  This is not at all limiting.  The rules open, rather than close, so many doors.  

Roz-  Funny the fruit thing with you made you nap, it's remarkable how quickly sugar triggers reactions.  I have been weird a couple days...think I only had two meals Thursday and Friday.  Just got way off schedule and for whatever reason that is such a trigger for me...this brain goes to thinking of junk immediately.   I don't sleep enough and that is not super negotiable as I've gone back to school and need to study.   And it's the dreaded Week Before Period.  So.  Good times!   :blink:   The nice thing is we are hanging in there and as long as we do that the sugar dragon can kiss our grass fed proteins  ;)       

VaNewbie- Can we help?  So great that you KNOW what the problem is.  Now to nip that snacking in the bud.  If you feel up to it and want to post meals I'm sure the very awesome people here could offer suggestions.  

First restaurant meal out.  Triumph!  I ordered the steamed mussels.  Then i ordered two vegetable sides, grilled asparagus with olive oil and garlic and lemon and another grilled vegetable plate (like zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, yum).  There probably wasnt' enough fat in the meal because I was hungry when we got home just now so I had a handful of macademia nuts.  I have to tell you, it was a bit harder than I thought it would be.  I wasn't feeling like drawing attention to myself with this big group of old friends so I didn't want to quiz the server about every item and whether it contained seed oil or sugar, so I felt like I just wanted to find items that I really knew would be on plan.  I did, they were fabulous, and it was great.  Yay me. 

Thanks to those of you for your thoughtful responses to my comment and question earlier in the day.  I resonated with everything you said. 

Good night!

Ugh, full fledged sinus/cold today. I am miserable. I went to the chiro yesterday and complained of the post nasal drip and she did some stuff on my head and neck to loosen every thing up. I was almost up all night with a very sore ear/nasal/throat thing. Of course the weather looks great today, but I doubt I'll be able to do any yard work feeling like this. Going to have some hot tea now.

Mmm, dinner on the way... a bit of a rubbish food day again, but then i've had a bit of a rubbish stomach today, so i think that's made me want more snacky stuff. Or there wasn't enough protein in lunch. Or i'm just making excuses. Possibly a little of each  :rolleyes:

Breakfast - chorizo & spinach scramble, crispy bacon & sauerkraut

Lunch - skillet sausage stew & a sweet potato with walnut oil & ginger. Some cherries after

Snack - a few spoons of coconut butter at around half 3pm. Then a couple of hours later, i had a (big) handful of dried mixed berries, some macadamias (cos i could feel my blood sugar spinning off), a tiny bag of sweet potato crisps/chips (think toddler food) & a couple of strips of crisped bacon. Hmm  :ph34r:

Dinner - savoury sweet potato meatloaf, cocoa-roasted cauliflower & some greens. I'm definitely in the mood for some comfort food!

Thanks, I am feeling a bit better. I tried working out in the yard, but it's so hot and humid, it just made me feel worse.

So I came inside and made my weekly breakfast and lunches. Breakfast will be the same pork and sweet potato fritters. This time I tried baking them in the over instead of standing in front of a hot stove. For lunch, I bought some ground lamb and mixed in some shredded fennel bulb, shaped them into patties and also baked them. Lamb must be a lot more fatty than pork because that pan was swimming in oil. YUM.

Hubby is making ribs tonight (he is kind enough to leave off the spices and sauce for me) and I'm going to make some cinna-fritters from the left over shredded sweet potatoes. You just add cinnamon and fry them up with coconut oil.

Ok food day today. Weekends are tough. I'm eating a TON of food. Right at the end of this Whole 30 I have some celebrations, then I'm going to do another Whole 30. I am loving this!! I discovered dipping dates in coconut oil by accident. OMG amazing.

Bet - My husband started the SCD Intro last night.  He feels 100% better.  Thank you so much!  He's just had a few burps after each meal, and no digestive distress.  I really appreciate the info.  He loves the carrot puree, too!  :)

Bet - My husband started the SCD Intro last night.  He feels 100% better.  Thank you so much!  He's just had a few burps after each meal, and no digestive distress.  I really appreciate the info.  He loves the carrot puree, too!  :)

That's great! You know, it almost reminds me of what my mom would feed us after we were sick. Simply food, not a lot of work for the digestive system to do so it can rest and heal.

Archived