~Support Thread for Week of July 7th Starters/Continue-ers

sunnymama

(most people sneak marijuana into shows, I sneaks carrots in)

HAHA, you should post that in the 'You know you are on Whole 30 when...) thread.

I just read this fantastic (but sometimes depressing) book called eat on the wild side. It's all about fruit and vegetables and how they evolved (with or without man's input) and why the produce in our supermarkets may not be as healthy as we think it is:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/07/10/195592468/Eating-On-The-Wild-Side-A-Field-Guide-To-Nutritious-Food

So at WF today, I picked up some red leaf lettuce and some baby bananas (I wanted to try the red bananas but they didn't have those, I may have to go to the De Kalb farmers market for that). I'm having canned salmon on top of the lettuce with my new unfiltered olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Very good.

i'm reading a book at the moment about how we all need to supplement because our fruit and vegetables have very little nutrients any more....due to soil degradation, fertilisers/pesticides, early picking, growing for quantity over quality etc...

it's funny - I have a couple of friends who farm (small scale) who say that spraying and using chemicals isn't that effective!!

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This morning I was about to work out and realized I'd forgotten to eat anything so I VERY quickly gulped down a HB egg, after having drunk a cup of black coffee.  After my one hour work out which was TRX (weight training with interval bursts of things like fast feet and burpees, high knees, etc), I had wicked heartburn.  I haven't had much of a problem with this since starting the W30 and I used to take prescription prilosec for acid reflux pre-W30.  It felt awful and made the prospect of eating breakfast before work seem impossible.  So I mindlessly took 2 Tums, and about 5 minutes later as I was stirfrying my mince, I realized...AAACCCKKK!  SUCROSE!

I think it would be really obsessive to start over because of 2 Tums, so I'm calming myself down.  ^_^ Geesh.

i'm reading a book at the moment about how we all need to supplement because our fruit and vegetables have very little nutrients any more....due to soil degradation, fertilisers/pesticides, early picking, growing for quantity over quality etc...

it's funny - I have a couple of friends who farm (small scale) who say that spraying and using chemicals isn't that effective!!

I do garden, mostly roses and have only used organic fertilizers for years. It is so much better than chemicals and cheaper. I make my own compost from the cuttings. I do have a small veggie garden that I want to expand. This year was a bust because we have had very unusually cool and wet summer with not enough sun. I was hoping to grow some butternut squash, but I don't think they will produce. But I will try again next year. I did read a similar article about soil and how it's very depleted and the chemicals are ruining it. That is why I don't eat grains and only organic fruit and veggies if I can. I'm going to see if I can do a winter garden this year.

She does get into the early picking in the book. Some fruits and veggies will continue to ripen, but many don't. Like strawberries. I usually throw half of them away because they are hard and have no taste. I only eat the really ripe dark red ones.

(most people sneak marijuana into shows, I sneaks carrots in)

This just made my day - LOL!!

My new news in the "my body is changing" front: my college class ring, which has not fit since before my first pregnancy, now fits again as of yesterday morning.  Woohoo!  I can't wait to measure and quantify these changes a little bit.  I look FANTASTIC in the mirror.  Now I'm wishing I had taken a good "before" picture.

Askin's I am wishing I had taken a before picture too.  I am looking pretty darned hot now a days.  My stomach is flatter, my legs less flabby, a little definition in my arms.  I have started spinning for a half hour 3 days a week and try to walk or go to the pool with the boys on the weekend.  Amazingly I have enough energy to do this at night after the boys go to bed now.  I use to fall asleep on the couch while I was nursing Liam at 8pm.  Now I finish nursing him and go upstairs and get on the spin bike.  It is great and I feel great afterwords.

Next step is to get on my real bike and ride again.  (This will take a little more commitment from my husband, but he'll help)

Good job ROZ and JEN starting over. I'm curious what happened if you feel like saying? I think this last home stretch is tricky in a lot of ways. I'm having more cravings, and as I posted, last weekend was really really hard. This week I find myself saying things like "you've done almost the whole thing, maybe this could be like a Whole 26!" But I'm pressing on. AMBER I was feeling like I was losing and then suddenly yesterday I felt different, maybe like you. I'm trying to ignore it because I have learned that I really can't trust my own judgement about the small changes in my body size and appearance. All we can do, and all we have control over is what we put in our bodies!

Keep on keeping on!

I felt the same - I felt no change, then slightly slimmer for a few days, then yesterday and today I felt thick and "blobby". I wore a pair of pants I haven't worn in a week and they were tighter...although wool blend, freshly washed...potentially they've shrunk, but they've never felt like that before.

That's where the calculating/measuring part of me steps in and starts cutting things a little!

We're still going!

Must admit, I actually think I've put on weight which is slightly disheartening. While I didn't really worry about losing any, I don't want to put any on!

amberino, you probably didn't need to lose any. I have to lose about 25-30 lbs, so it's probably easier for that to happen on the W30, or probably more likely W365.

Today someone said 'you look great, have you lost weight?' That made me feel good. I do feel great. My digestion is almost perfect (and that is really important to me) and I do have more energy and I feel 'brighter'. I don't know any other way to describe it.

i know i don't need to lose any, so that wasn't a motivator to do a whole30.....i probably do need to put some on to be in a "healthy" BF%. telling my brain to think that's ok, and to just accept clothes not fitting so well is pretty challenging though! i was finally becoming more accepting about how i looked, so adding size on to that in a hurry isn't where i wanted to go!

Day 24.

Reading through all your posts as I've not checked in for a while.

Similar themes for me:

1. I don't think I have lost weight....not that that was the focus but I do need to lower my BF from 28 to 22 (the goal for now). I think it takes a while for the body to adjust to this new way of eating and burning fat rather than carbs. Having said that, I am cutting down from 2 fruits a day to 1 a day. Also smaller carb veg portions. A sweet potato is still a carb after all.

2. More importantly for me, is that I feel lighter in my being, lighter in my heart, clearer in my head and more centered in my emotional self. I think that is the best feeling ever and that has been so worth the journey.

3. Having said that, I've also had thoughts of oh maybe I will make this a whole 28 (my brother is visiting from the UK this weekend so lots of family activity planned...which always centers around food). Then I think....hmmmm will the treat be worth it for the after effects. Getting a bit worried about these after effects! I plan to complete W30. I am notoriously bad at not finishing things, so it's a personal challenge for me.

4. Post W30, I plan to take a weekend off (we are away for 4 days), and following reintroduction, and then back on the wagon. I like how I feel so much that I really do feel that this is becoming a lifestyle for me.

Happy days everyone!

Fiona, I'm with you on number 2!! G and I have both noticed a calmness and decrease in stress from a few areas.

I've also mindfully lowered portions a little - nothing huge, but I have most probably been eating protein and fats at the higher end of the template. I also don't really get hungry very often, so maybe I don't actually need as much as I'm having.

Funnily, I've been contemplating making this a whole 45 or more! I want to be happy with my digestion, so if that involves experimenting for a while longer, so be it!

FIONA- regarding #3, I also have tempting thoughts of wanting to do a W28 because I leave on Saturday for my two-week family vacation.  I don't reach 30 days until Monday.  We are going to a very remote part of Colorado and I know I'll be able to eat clean with enough prep but it will be a big challenge and I so just want to leave those last two days off and say I've done enough.  But I also really want to finish it, so I'm committing to myself that I'm going to see it through until Monday.  If it helps FIONA, know you have company!

I agree that this IS a lifestyle, not a diet, so there's going to be lots of fun weekends, and vacations, and we have to figure out how to take care of ourselves in this way while doing all those things that before may have included a warped relationship with food.

As anyone who has read my posts know, I'm in total agreement with what you said in #2.  I'm lighter, calmer, even, and curious about the effect that just changing my food intake has had on my body and mind.

AMBER- You must have done some kind of evaluative measurements before you started the W30?  You will have more info I suppose, after you finish, but I would try to go by how you feel (and especially how your gut feels) because it sounds like that's so important to you.

Good job ROZ and JEN starting over. I'm curious what happened if you feel like saying? I think this last home stretch is tricky in a lot of ways. I'm having more cravings, and as I posted, last weekend was really really hard. This week I find myself saying things like "you've done almost the whole thing, maybe this could be like a Whole 26!" But I'm pressing on. AMBER I was feeling like I was losing and then suddenly yesterday I felt different, maybe like you. I'm trying to ignore it because I have learned that I really can't trust my own judgement about the small changes in my body size and appearance. All we can do, and all we have control over is what we put in our bodies!

Keep on keeping on!

Well, lets see, I got lost on the way to meet some ladies for a girls night out and had told one of the girls what I had been doing before hand so she could be my support.  I could make excuses such as driving around Morrisville for 45 minutes, being late (which I hate with a passion) PMS but I wanted a vodka tonic so I had one.  The following day I awoke at my friends house with a horrible headache and no access to coffee stat so I hit the Diet Coke.  Then I went to a cookout, 2 beers later.  That evening we all met up again for dinner out in Raleigh, another cocktail and 2 beers and the best Kung Pao Calamari I've ever had in my life.  Sunday I figured what the H#%!, Make Monday a start over day so I had the pretzel bacon cheeseburger, coke and part of my husbands frosty cone from Wendys and I felt so utterly gross less than 4 hours later.  Nothing else I consumed over the weekend seemed to bother me other than that fabulously nasty fastfood.  I stuck to it on Monday, had a shitty day yesterday and although I didn't eat poorly, I did baste my bacon wrapped meatloaf with a tomato-y balsamic sauce that did contain sugar...oh yeah, almost forgot. Strike that eating poorly thing.  Two Reeses Peanut butter cups and a butterfinger later vastly improved my mood yesterday.  Going through woes of marital bliss...bliss-that's not hardly ever synonymous with marriage.  I'm going to try to eat healthy until my period gets out of the way and things look up at home...That's all I can do right now.

Jen, I hope you feel better soon - physically, emotionally, mentally...sounds like you've had a lot thrown at you at once! I do think that trying to maintain good eating will do the world of good and help you out a lot, even if its just something you can have complete control over!

AMBER- You must have done some kind of evaluative measurements before you started the W30? You will have more info I suppose, after you finish, but I would try to go by how you feel (and especially how your gut feels) because it sounds like that's so important to you.

I wish I had! I only have my weight and clothes. I've not measured myself with a tape measure for ages!!

I've gained a lot doing this, and have lots of positives! In terms of my physique, it's not so much what the scale says as how I feel - today I don't feel so blobby! Could my body make up its mind?!? :P getting bigger is a huge thing for me - I used to be 80kgs, and lost 25kgs of fat in a healthy way - lifestyle change, not diet. Getting bigger is just getting closer to where I used to be, and that's not somewhere I want to be again!!

I've also got the added pressure of knowing what I look like at about 6% BF!! Putting on weight after that really messes with your head...even when you know you need to!

Sounds like it's been rough Jen.  I have SO been there, for months.  Everything I can think of to say sounds cliche when I say it in my brain first, so I'll spare you. 

All I know is that for me, eating clean is like a sign on the door to my house that says "I CARE ABOUT MYSELF". When I get into the yucky place that you describe, including the marital stuff, the sign says "KEEP OUT" and I hide out inside with the girl scout cookies.  No more hiding for me.  At least that's the plan.

I wish I had! I only have my weight and clothes. I've not measured myself with a tape measure for ages!!

I've gained a lot doing this, and have lots of positives! In terms of my physique, it's not so much what the scale says as how I feel - today I don't feel so blobby! Could my body make up its mind?!? :P getting bigger is a huge thing for me - I used to be 80kgs, and lost 25kgs of fat in a healthy way - lifestyle change, not diet. Getting bigger is just getting closer to where I used to be, and that's not somewhere I want to be again!!

I've also got the added pressure of knowing what I look like at about 6% BF!! Putting on weight after that really messes with your head...even when you know you need to!

I completely get that. Funny though, you said "could my body make up it's mind?"  I think our minds and eyes play tricks on us too even when our body hasn't had a change or the change is super minor.  Yesterday I was with old friends so someone took a picture of us and then it was emailed to me.  I had been feeling fit and lean and good until I saw the picture and then I felt blobby!  It's all in me head.

Archived