Waitress/bartender help!

Sheilaqueso

I'm in the first week of my whole30 right now, and I need some input. I work as a bartender and waitress at a wine bar and restaurant. Part of my job is that I have to taste wines. I only started here a few weeks ago, so I am still learning our wine list and my boss does wine tastings at the end of a lot of shifts or at random during the night. I start work at 4, so I normally eat a snack before and they feed me dinner around 6. I'm allergic to wheat, so I generally am fed roasted veggies and sausage. But I am sure they aren't 100% compliant.

My main question: since my diet in general is very low carb, very low sugar, is it worth it for me to do the whole30 given the fact that days I'm working (5-6 days a week) I'm going to be eating non-compliant food/drink? I can't decide if I should just go back to eating my usual diet or keep doing as good a whole30 as I can!

I would say to follow Whole30 as well as you can...technically, you'd be following the Primal approach which is not as strict as Paleo/Whole30.  I think you would still reap the benefits of this lifestyle if you try to follow it as much as possible!  ;)

too much stress to do the Whole30 AND navigate the demands of your new position - just eat as close to Whole30 as possible. I'm sure you'll still reap lots of benefits. What are your reasons for doing a Whole30? Perhaps just eating a good paleo diet will help address some of your motivations.

I wanted to do it because I feel like my stomach still isn't acting quite right. I've had a lot of issues with it (read: my system freaked out so much from a few ignored allergies that I couldn't eat anything but almonds, lentils, eggs, and veggies for two months), so I figured maybe cutting out more than just simple carbs and sugar would be a good idea. I also feel like my body processes food in a strange way, and I feel hungry a lot, so I thought maybe the whole30 could help me stabilize my system.

Personally, if I were in your situation, I'd focus on eating only 3 meals a day and make sure that veg was a prominent part of each meal.

You've already cut out wheat, so maybe cut out legumes as well and dairy if it's not too much of a struggle.  I'd cut out snacks and sweets, but not worry about small amounts of sugar in dressings and sauces.

Once you've been in your job a bit longer you'll be better at negotiating your eating/drinking and you might find it easier to do a proper, by the books, W30 then.

There are several success stories involving chefs and such who have to taste non-compliant food during their W30 and still having great results. Part of your job involves knowing what wines to suggest with what foods, so I'd definitely allow your career to advance by getting that knowledge. HOWEVER, I'd eat as cleanly as possible with what your employer provides and not gulp down the whole glass of wine. Could you just try a sip or two? Just enough to get the flavor.

Archived