Eczema

I have had eczema/psoriasis for the past 25 years. One of the main reasons for me doing this Whole30 is to hopefully get it cleared up.

I'm in day 11 and I just noticed a new little patch on my knee. It's not big but it's a new location, as I've only had a little on my eye and elbow this year. I would think that with the elimination of dairy and gluten that I wouldn't see flare ups, but maybe it just takes longer than 11 days? It makes me think i unknowingly ate something i shouldn't have and my body is protesting. Perhaps I'm expecting a little too much for my first whole30? I've also been dragging this afternoon so looking forward to a turnaround(:

I'm curious about eczema as well. I've had it on my hands since I was maybe 7? It's not nearly as bad as it used to be as a kid, but it's still there despite being mostly gluten/diary free for a few years now. I'm on day 20 or so (I lost count) and though it seemed to get better at first, it flared up again a few days ago. I look forward to other people's input!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now on Day 22 and noticed that it is flaring up a bit again. I wonder if this is a case of things getting worse before they get better? Or if my body is pushing toxins out or something? It's really weird to me that I've eaten better than I ever have in my life and this is getting a little worse :\

I was following the autoimmune protocol but haven't had any luck with my eczema. And as for environmental triggers, I'm super careful about those - SLS-free shampoo, sensitive laundry detergent, natural soaps & household cleaners, etc. as I know those make it worse for me

Hi guys,

it's definitely possible for things to get worse before they get better. There are a lot of changes going on and they can wreak havoc on your hormones, etc. So I'd stick with the Whole30 as written before pulling eggs and nightshades out for potentially no reason.

That being said, going egg/nightshade free is probably the correct next step if there's no improvement after 30 days.

I have had eczema on occasion off and on since childhood...it comes around randomly every couple years or so and I never knew why. However, since going paleo, doing Whole30, and some research, it seems it's related to systemic inflammation, as are many skin conditions, such as acne, which is one of my main reasons for doing Whole30 (I have PCOS and have had a long history of cystic acne and very oily skin). Anyway, similar to you, I was getting really frustrated around 3 weeks in when I saw virtually no improvement in my skin. However, suddenly (and it was almost like night and day), after nearly the 4 week mark, my skin has drastically improved...I am finished my 30 days and kept going because I am so encouraged by it (I'm on day 34 right now). I feel like I'm jinxing myself by even mentioning it, lol.

But I just want to say to give it more time...I read a few places that it takes about 25 to 40 days for skin to fully regenerate itself so maybe it's still too soon to see improvement. Lastly, I also found out last month I am allergic to gluten and eggs and cut those out completely - I also feel this has made a big difference so something to consider. Good luck!

so crazy....it's Day 27 and my eczema is still getting worse. But I must say that the skin on my face looks amazing! No breakouts, tone is evening out, and it feels really hydrated and smooth. Someone tonight said I had a healthy glow--I'll take it!!

Just a thought but have you ever been tested for food allergies or intolerances? I ask because I'm allergic to eggs (as well as gluten). I'm really glad I knew that before doing the Whole30, otherwise I probably woulda eaten a crap load of eggs and not seen much improvement. My doctor once told me that eczema is highly correlated with food allergies so maybe something to consider?

I was tested a couple of years ago but the doctor was really only concerned about dairy and gluten at the time. There was a list of a whole bunch of little things that I had a slight intolerance for but as I recall, eggs were not on that list. They are not my favorite but i've had them just about every day of my whole30 {today is my last day--yea!} and I guess I could limit them for a while to experiment. However, I really don't know if I can do the "dinner for breakfast" thing. Not sure what else I could stomach first thing in the morning :/

Archived