Had two slices of bacon on day 27. Start over?

Hi out there,

So, my Topic Title is the question. We had some friends over for dinner last night and they know about Whole30 and one of them did Paleo for a while so they brought bacon-wrapped dates as an appetizer/desert. Even though I generally have NO problem saying that I can't eat something I just didn't have the heart to say that the bacon wasn't whole30 compliant b/c they had gone to the trouble to try to make something we could eat.

It was two slices. Do you think I need to re-set the clock to Day 1? (by the way, who would have thought that bacon-wrapped dates would be so GOOD?)

Thanks,

Celina

Bacon wrapped dates are delicious. I am very much looking forward to bacon at the end of this 30 days. 

If you want to be 100% compliant by the rules, then sure, start over. I think its up to you though. At this point you're probably feeling the health benefits, right? If it were me, I'd probably decide to finish out strong, add a few extra days to make myself feel better. I mean, listen, its not like we're all in some special club and you aren't allowed in because you ate bacon on day 27. It's not like you aren't going to get your whole39 diploma - ultimately, its up to you. If you want to be by the book, then start again. 

And don't beat yourself up. At least it wasn't a cupcake. :)

Thanks, Emily T. Yea, I'm surprised that I didn't explain that I couldn't have them; I don't usually have a problem with that. I think that b/c they were trying so hard to be supportive I just didn't have the heart to. My plan is to start the post-whole30 reintroductions to check for food sensitivities and then just go right back to it with a bit less meat and more non-meat protein. I love eating this way.

And, you're right, a cupcake would have been worse! As the whole30 ends I don't crave much from my pre-whole30 eating but I want ice cream, which I didn't really have more htan once every few months before the whole30. Oy. I bet it'll do a number on my stomach.

I say no start-over necessary! :)

People tend not to have a huge sensitivity to less than 1 gram of refined sugar. The dates themselves are sugar bombs - compliant sugar bombs, but sugar bombs nonetheless. Given the circumstances, the intentionality behind your decision and your 27 days of success, wrap up your Whole30 and begin your reintros!

But that's just my opinion...

Similar thing happened to me. Been doing the Whole30 perfect for 10 days just to realize that the organic bacon I bought and ate yesterday had sugar!

What came to my mind is that the book states "avoid fruit snacks because your body does not know if the sugar comes from a candy bar or a piece of fruit" (paraphrasing). So my question is the other way around "how does my body know that the sugar in the bacon is not a piece of fruit during my meal?"

I will restart my 30 days since I am early and wanted to do 45 anyway, but any thoughts will be appreciated.

I have seen so many similar topics that question restarts and added days.  Usually, the person was careless about reading labels or simply misunderstood something.

In this case, there seems to be an intent issue.  Not hurting your friends' feelings was more important than your commitment to yourself to follow a Whole30.

I'd say that you messed up on the added sugar rule by making a choice to eat something that (you think) had added sugar.  As for being clean from all of the other nasties we avoid, you're probably good to go on the reintros.  But why did you cheat yourself out of the Whole30 commitment you made?  I'm not trying to sound harsh.  My thinking relates to a post from Whole9 I saw on Facebook that has had me wondering why we put others first sometimes.

I hope you can focus on what an amazing accomplishment it is to undertake this challenge for 27 days. As someone who has been Paleo for about a year and completed the challenge in January, I know how easy it is to focus on the slip ups or wish you had made a better choice some days, but coming down hard on yourself or letting others opinions question your commitment defeats the real purpose of this challenge. It's about bettering yourself by creating new, healthy habits, and it sounds like you've done that. This lifestyle isn't always easy, but keep it in perspective. Whether you decide to add more days or not, be kind to yourself and look forward to a whole lifetime of better health :) That's what it's all about!

To be brief and to the point, I would reset and start at day 1 again.  If you had done this on say, day 7, you could add a few days at the end to make up for it....but to make it 90% of the way through the program and then have a slip up, I would tend to believe it's too late in the game to add time since it would basically be another whole30 anyway from this point on.  It's a 30 day plan for a reason, there are no moral victories for anything less.  

Sorry if it's harsh, but just trying to be realistic and honest about the program.

xoxo

Archived