Starting Tomorrow 8/17 - Anyone Else?

thewyrdwoman

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried my first whole 30 at the end of July but had to stop due to the chaos of moving back to school and into a new house! My 21 birthday is exactly a month from today and I figure it would be an appropriate time to celebrate the end of a successful whole 30 as well so I am so down and determined not to fail this time!

Here's to our success!! 

Accountability for my 3-of-Whole9 goals for my Whole30 remain unchanged:

Nutrition - Strict compliance with the Whole 30 food plan

Exercise - 2 rounds of Sun Salutations first thing upon arising (yes, BEFORE coffee)

Sleep - lights out at 11 PM

@captainninjapeters:  I'm contemplating make my first Whole30 into a Whole60 or possibly a Whole90!  So I'll be there with you stretching it out & cheering everyone that made it!!

Mindfullness is my watchword -- it's mindless consumption that's wrecked my efforts so far.  I want to prepared for the unexpected ( :wacko: ) like long stressful work days, etc.  Since sugar is my nemesis, I was thinking about keeping some paleo meat-snack-thingys tucked in my purse.  Anyone have any recommendations, especially those that don't break the bank?

Macadamia nuts really worked for me. I tried to avoid them, and snacking in general, but on days when the time from lunch until dinner stretched a little too far they worked well. One of the really cool things that happened during my Whole30 was the dramatic increase in how long I could go without eating (if I needed to). Without all of the sugar, you don't crash and you also stay fueled for longer. I really didn't need caffeine (tea for me) by the end of it. 

I'm writing this and trying to remember WHY IN THE WORLD I EVER STOPPED??!!!

Hello! I am also starting 8/17 (today).

For several months, I have been tired all the time. I recently had a full physical and all my known physical and mental health issues are under control, so I'm doing Whole30 to see if food is the problem.

Good luck to all who are starting today!

Anne Marie

post-33560-0-16350800-1376765286_thumb.j

Yay for Day 1! So far I'm off to a great start and even made a motivational wall/calendar to keep me on track and focused this time around. Now I'm about to go to the grocery store to stock up on some things. So far this time around I feel a lot more confident and determined to succeed. I know it's going to get harder though as I face the challenges and temptations that surround me as a college student but I'm determined to fight back and win every time. I have exactly 30 days until my 21st birthday and I refuse to slip up until then! Hope you all are having a great Day 1 and I can't wait to motivate and support one another as we go down this adventure together! :)

OMG!  If you haven't tried Melissa Joulwan's Chocolate Chili (yes, chocolate), do yourself a favor and make a double batch!.  Just finished mine for dinner -- mmmmmmmmmmm.

Here's a link to her freebie "Whole30" plan, which has the recipe: 

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/07/27/whole30-week-1-food-plan/

If you don't have her cookbook, Well Fed, I highly recommend it.  But if you can't, you can still visit her site for great recipes.  Her homemade mayo turned me into a mayo freak (never liked the stuff before).

Here's to a great Day 1 in the bag!  Night, Whole30-ers!

My husband and I started Saturday.  May we join you?  We seem to be doing okay so far.  My husband has had some headaches (mostly from caffeine withdrawal) and sinus drainage (chronic sinusitis so prob a good thing). I have had to lower my insulin already and my blood sugars have been more even than usual (type 1 diabetes).  I even did fine bringing my own lunch to a baby shower at lunch time today.  How is everyone else doing?

My Day 2 went well! I still need to work on controlling my snacking habits. I snack on approved whole 30 things but I still would like to reach a point where I'm full from meal to meal so that's my focus this week as I embark on Day 3 today. I start college classes again today which is going to make things difficult but I'm hoping I'm able to make it work! Meal prep on Sundays will be my new best friend I think.

@SweetKendall:  Of course!  The more, the merrier!  

Having a pretty crappy time of it since my restart on Saturday -- woke up that morning with a weird ear thing, it was achy & swollen shut.  It messed up my balance, so I haven't been able to do my AM yoga.  It kept getting worse, to the point of needing OTC pain meds yesterday.

Now back from the doctor who says I have a staph or strep infection that probably started from an insect bite (I am chronically immuno-compromised due to liver & bowel disease).  Antibiotics course starting today.  Not sure how this impacts my Whole30, think I'll do some forum searching to see what others have said/done.

Other than the ear infection, I'm staying with my Whole30 food plan & finding it getting just a little easier. 

Yay for another day of whole 30 fun! I never realized how much I ate out of sheer boredom in the summer. Now that I've started up at school again and have a busier schedule, it's amazing how I'm magically not hungry mid-day due to the fact that my mind now has something else to focus on. Meal prep is definitley saving my butt now that I'm back at school. Hope you all have a GREAT day! :D 

Totes true, @healthy_haley. I also find that when I am busy all day, I'm not thinking about food and then also not hungry. Day 3 going well for me, got up and made the salmon sweet potato cakes from ISWF + a little pork belly & a cup of spinach. Delish! Also, for those missing bacon, turns out pork belly is what bacon is made of, without the sugar (I did *not* know this, lolol). Nothing but good ole pig. It's now my safe space. 

Ugh...yesterday I was so tired.  Today I've only been awake for 2 hours and already I need a nap.  I got my period yesterday and I'm super cranky and have cramps and I'm out of most of our food so I have to go shopping.  My 2 year old is driving me nuts.  I know this is a normal part of the process but I seriously don't feel like putting in the effort to eat this way when I feel like all I do is prep, cook, and clean the kitchen before I have to do it all over again. Someone please tell me to hang in there. (And DH cheated yesterday... :-P and I know it was partly because I didn't have enough food ready for him to just grab.)

SweetKendall I feel the exact same way. I am so tired. I have no desire to do my workout and Im cranky and keep thinking to myself that this is alot of work and what if I dont get out of this what I am wanting. I just keep 2nd guessing myself and then that is making me depressed. Everyone keeps telling me to trust the process but I just dont know :(

Man I hear you. The first week crankiness is tough. Hang in there! I am more sad than cranky . . . forgot about this adjustment part where I can't just grab a muffin to quickly feel better. Its so worth it though once the low carb flu passes.

WE CAN DO THIS.

Yesterday I had one of my emergency meals: canned sweet potato with coconut oil, eggs and salad to get some carbs up in there. It's like Prozac, for me, those sweet potatoes, and I didn't have time to cook a big nice meal last night. 

This day has been ups and downs I started out cranky then I had to go to a work meeting where everyone was eating pizza and drinking soda and chocolate cake so that made me sad because I just wanted a taste of something. But I didnt give in. Now Im just cranky again lol!! hopefully this phase will be over pretty quick :) and yes nikkianetra WE CAN DO THIS.

This day has been ups and downs I started out cranky then I had to go to a work meeting where everyone was eating pizza and drinking soda and chocolate cake so that made me sad because I just wanted a taste of something. But I didnt give in. Now Im just cranky again lol!! hopefully this phase will be over pretty quick :) and yes nikkianetra WE CAN DO THIS.

It's pretty normal to feel cranky at this point in your W30. Stay the course. It will get better. Instead of mourning the food you can't have take some time to savor all the delicious foods you can!

Today wasn't too bad! I need to work on getting down a set schedule because sometimes three o'clock rolls around and I realize I've forgotten to eat lunch! I decided that I deserved a "treat" today so I bought my own worst enemy aka almond butter. Only limited myself to a spoonful or two ;) on top of a banana. Going to work on making sure it doesn't trigger a binge and so far so good! Yay!

Today has been another rough one.  Too much going on in life.  The food actually hasn't been as big a deal but the dog got to my lunch  (squash soup with chicken) and dumped the whole thing all over the counter and in a 6 ft radius on the floor.  I was NOT happy with him.  But I just pulled a big batch of beef jerky out of the dehydrator and that made me feel a little better.  

We have dinner scheduled at a friend's house and they said they would do salad, tri tip, and sweet potatoes.  DH told them everything needs to be plain so hopefully it will be okay.  How's everyone else doing today?

Archived