When can I trust myself and eat less?

Kristy

Whole30 for me finished 8 days ago. During whole30 I was stunned at how much food I needed to eat (I followed the template and went with the theory that my ideas weren't working well so I would place my trust in the program completely, after all it is only 30 days!) I often found eating a chore and would be forcing myself to eat the food. I was not hungry by the next meal. Once around day 18 I tried going off template for portion size and sure enough, two hours later I was 'starving' and had a long grumpy wait tip the next meal lol!

I am still finding that the meals are too big and am wondering when it is ok to make them a bit smaller, but not so small I want to snack? Or is snacking ok post 30?

I am an early years teacher so am up and down all day with children but don't do any exercise as such.

• Moderators

Snacking is never good for you in terms of your hormonal rhythms.

Your experience suggests you would benefit from continuing to follow the template. After awhile, I would expect your feelings about food to match the template, but when is an open question.

When you say "going off template for portion size," how "off-template" did you go? Were you eating like one egg with a single spear of asparagus, or was it more like eating 3 eggs instead of 4? Maybe you could experiment with making the meals a little smaller without having them be ridiculously tiny. Or maybe you could go smaller and work your way up little by little, to let your stomach get used to it.

Basically I understand that it's important to eat enough food and the value of the template, but I would just question the long-term mental health effects of turning food into a chore. I sure wouldn't want to live like that. Unless you're a strength athelete trying to gain mass or in recovery from an eating disorder, I think the meal should stop when you're full, not when you're uncomfortably overstuffed!

I agree with the previous comments. If you feel like you're stuffing yourself and that's why the meals are a chore, then I would definitely say you should try scaling back a little at a time. Personally I would cut back on protein a little bit first, but keep fat and veggie portions the same and see how that makes you feel. When I put too much on my plate, it's always the protein that's hard to choke down. 

notacommittee I halved the amount of veges (so only had one cup of one sort of vege instead of my usual two cups of two different veges) and kept the protein at palm sized and fats at 'one thumb'). So not a vast difference, but a difference that didn't work for me.

I have also noticed that when I don't have starchy carb vege at every meal I get super cranky lol.

I might try downsizing the protein a wee bit and see what happens thanks JJB.

Thanks Tom-will not snack :)

Archived