My first rodeo with Kale

Boiling it for 3 minutes will kill the bitterness.  With fresh kale, I usually discard the stems.  The frozen chopped stuff leaves the stems in there.  I eat kale with everything -- breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  You really can't overload.

If you've got a pressure cooker, nomnompaleo has a good method:

Heat up your choice of cooking fat (bacon fat is excellent!) & saute an onion & some carrots until softened. Add in garlic, then a big heap of kale. Salt & pepper to taste, & add a bit of chicken stock, then lock on the lid & bring up to pressure. Cook for 15 minutes, depressurise, add a splash of balsamic vinegar & eat. Yummy!

i just keep it simple and sautee it up on a pan with a healthy amount of coconut oil.  I hand shred the kale leaves so they are bite size, and that way they get slightly crispy in the pan which is a nice touch.  salt and pepper to taste and I am a happy man.

i will sometimes add some chopped garlic as well.

I have it with any and all meals of the day.

I followed the prep advice!  First time I used the salad spinner my mother bought me 6 years ago.  I tried some kale this morning with my Meal 1--- sauteed chicken with some spices and coconut oil, took the chicken off, then added some more oil and chopped onion.. sauteed that then added the kale....  wilted it a bit, then put the chicken back on and stirred for a while until I thought it looked done. 

First bite tasted bitter--- but as I got to the bottom of my bowl, I found the leaves that looked more wilted didn't have the bitter taste... is that the trick? Cook it long enough to kill the bitter taste?  

Overall, I think I like kale.  I will definitely try the recipes y'all have posted... Thanks for helping out the new kid!!! 

Archived