Starting September 9th looking for support

charleyd40

MrsRobinson - That's Jason Seib and if I lived on the other side of Portland I'd check into becoming a member of his gym!  Luckiy for me I have a great CrossFit box just down the street and I follow Jason on FB so I get to see words of wisdom like this:

It makes me sad when beautiful people with awesome bodies plead for my help with desperation in their eyes because they can't see who they truly are. It makes me nearly as sad when beautiful people with not quite awesome bodies plead for my help with the same desperation because chances are good that they will become beautiful people with awesome bodies who can't see who they truly are.

I'm not sure if it's making a difference, but I'll quit saying this when I'm dead: Change because you love your body and you know it deserves better than what you have been giving it, not because you hate your body and will do anything to escape it.

"Healthy by choice, HOT by accident" is so easy it boggles the mind. Unfortunately, "desperate, miserable, and insecure by choice, unhealthy and squishy by accident" is the norm.

This isn't about your body.

Bold is mine - it's one of the things I'm working hard on.  The quote from my Psychologist: ""Move towards the things you want and not away from the things you don't"
~ Dr G ~

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a problem - scale is gone.

I can't believe I'm finishing up day 18!  I've had no trouble whatsoever except I'm losing my appetite and having to force myself to eat.  My husband is still complaining about how boring the food is - but there's tons of food in the fridge that he is refusing to eat.  His problem, not mine.

I just made a new batch of ghee but accidentally burned it.  That smell of burnt butter was delicious.  I can't really tell any taste difference.

I also made a new batch of mayo which worked out much better this time because I used bottled lemon juice and let the egg and lemon juice sit for a while.

"An inanimate object that spends it's life lying on the floor next to your toilet should not be given the power to break your heart."

Best quote from the book I'm reading this week, called "the Paleo Coach". He talks a lot about how peak performance, not aesthetics, should be our focus. You may have seen those side by side photos on Facebook or elsewhere of the lady who is the same weight in both pictures but her body composition is completely different? This is the guy who took those photos. I'm thinking a lot about what he's saying. The idea of putting my scale away indefinitely scares me at this point because I'm still working on the first 100 pounds and even though I'm almost there I guess I still don't entirely trust myself or the process. The second hundred... I may put it away for a few months.

Ooh! I really want to ready that book. I really like Jason Seib. He has a lot of good stuff to say. I really like his whole mantra that being healthy is the goal and the weight loss is just a side effect.

I also have resisted all temptation to step on the scale but I am very curious.

I have seen the benefits in other areas though, I'm about half an inch away from a smaller pants size (and I just bought new pants in august probably 2-3 weeks before starting whole30)  and I had my fastest pace yet for my duathlon training on sunday.  I woke up with a cold so I was going to skip it but the weather was so gorgeous I couldn't resist at least trying.

Is our group fizzling away?  Too bad.

Today I made acorn squash stuffed with ground beef, apples and walnuts.  It was really good.  Also roasted some butternut squash and pumpkin.

I have a hunch I am eating too many squash/ sweet potato type veggies.  Today I had brussels sprouts with sausage and mushrooms for breakfast.  It was ok.  Chicken salad for lunch.

Wanted to eat some Trader Joe's dried seaweed but it had soy oil on it.

HI all.  :(

I've had two days of run-ins with almond butter and banana. Last night I ate half a banana with probably 3 tablespoons of almond butter and had a handful of pecans with raisins. The night before, I ate about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of almond butter with half of a banana, too. I'm going through a tough time with my relationship, and the urge to sad-snack is strong.

They weren't full-out binges, but I definitely regretted each on afterwards. Do you think I need to call this Whole30 a bust? I'm really disappointed in myself.

HI all. :(

I've had two days of run-ins with almond butter and banana. Last night I ate half a banana with probably 3 tablespoons of almond butter and had a handful of pecans with raisins. The night before, I ate about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of almond butter with half of a banana, too. I'm going through a tough time with my relationship, and the urge to sad-snack is strong.

They weren't full-out binges, but I definitely regretted each on afterwards. Do you think I need to call this Whole30 a bust? I'm really disappointed in myself.

CF, you haven't eaten anything non-compliant, so while it's not "a bust", I'd perhaps try to overcome the need to eat emotionally by extending a few days and trying to come up with some ways to deal with emotional stress that don't involve food.

I use exercise and taking time out to look after myself (with a massage, facial, hair cut etc) helps, as well as keeping busy and avoiding normal routines. I'd also get rid of the foods that you're drawn too!

Thanks, amberino.

Thanks for the ideas and encouragement. I'm revisiting my goals from week one, and trying to make my final 8 days count as days to be really proud of. I have a few self-help books about emotional eating, and I think that in addition to getting rid of nut butters, I'm going to post some good strategies for overcoming emotional eating urges on the fridge and inside my cabinets.

carrot -

do you think you can turn around a bad "meal" and use it?  Like if you had some extra almond butter do you think you can turn it around and squeeze it into a quick pre-wo meal?

I get the impression its happening late at night (maybe because that is what I would do) but if its not, maybe you can just do a quick 20 minute workout afterwards even if its something light like walking. I think you could probably even get away with just doing some housework afterwards and at least get some activity in so that you are at least using it.

I would like to just celebrate something not Whole30 related but potentially even more important to my health.

Today is the 6 month anniversary of my new life as a non-smoker!!

:D

According to Quitnet.com this means the following:

Time Smoke-Free: 183 days
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 3667
Lifetime Saved: 28 days
Money Saved: $960.75

3600+ Cigarettes not smoked!!  Holy Crap!!!  That hits home for me even more than the almost $1,000 saved (Perhaps because I've seen very little of that since joining CrossFit :lol: )

Barb E - Thanks for the recommendation. I am definitely going to check it out. I've been sharing my body-weight-and-size woes with the world, and, upon the recommendation of many members of these forums, have decided to ditch my goals to fit into my "skinny pants." Don't get me wrong: I think I WILL fit back into them eventually if I keep eating clean and working out, but I decided that I've done right by myself. I've spent the last two months eating healthy foods and cooking healthy meals. I'm proud of my commitment to working out. I'm not going to let a J Crew size 8 make me feel like a failure. I look damn good in my 10s anyway. ;) So today, I ordered a bunch of new clothes (all size 10) with the thought that I am rewarding myself for all the hard work I've done, and IF they don't fit in a month or two because I've lost weight, I can always have them tailored.

And YOU ROCK, girl. I was a smoker for 12 years, and I never ever thought I'd be able to quit. I know how hard it is. You deserve a medal. Seriously. GREAT JOB!

Daveloper: you're right. These indiscretions have taken place at night after dinner, which is so strange because I'm not usually like that. It's funny what relationship stress can make you do. I need to make more time for yoga and delicious warm teas. Last year, I was constantly making myself fresh ginger tea with lime juice, which is oh-so-delicious. I'm putting ginger on my grocery list! Maybe having something good to sip on will help me resist the awful urge for nut butters.

What is this Rooibos tea everyone on here talks about?

Nice Job carrot_flowers on the reframing of what is important.  I have to remind myself that this is about my health and not my size/weight, but I am finding I don't have to do it quite as often!!

I forgot to write about a conversation I had last night.

I met up with some friends for a bite and of course the conversation turned to how I'm eating when I ordered steak, salad and extra tomoatoes (Taverns leave much to be desired for Whole food :lol: ) and so I explained simply "I eat whole foods with nothing processed" and of course heard the 'no grains' response. 

So then, I kid you not, one woman said "That isn't healthy at all, my husband is a vegetarian who doesn't like vegetables and is taking supplements 3 times a day and is very healthy"

I almost spit out my water

:)

:lol: I know so when I asked what he ate - yeah processed "fake" meats etc

*Blech*

I just had the BEST lunch!!

I sauteed Broccoli and Peppers in some Bacon grease until just warm then threw it in a bowl with some ground Elk and then stirred in some of my home made Mayo.

Just typing that all up makes me want more even though I'm full.  I wonder if I can get in a rut and have it for dinner too...

This was the acorn squash recipe I had last night.  It was so good I've been craving leftovers and eating them all day.

Oh, and - the burnt butter ghee that I made the other day?  Delicious!  Especially delicious on top of my acorn squash.

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2012/10/07/stuffed-acorn-squash

• 1 large acorn squash
  • 1 lb. (500 g) ground beef
  • 1 onion
  • 1 apple (any variety)
  • 6 slices of bacon (sugar free if doing a Whole30)
  • *1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1 tsp dried rosemary)
  • 2 tsp dried thyme
  • 2 tsp fennel seeds
  • 1 tsp ground sage
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet or dish with foil or parchment paper.
2. Cut the squash in half and scoop the seeds out. Place on the baking sheet and roast until the flesh is tender, approximately 45 minutes. Remove and allow to cool to the touch. **While the squash is baking, prepare the stuffing.
3. Dice the apple and onion into medium-sized pieces. Slice the bacon into pieces.
4. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the bacon. Add the onion and cook for 5-10 minutes until softened and translucent. Add the apples and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Remove the bacon / onion / apple mixture to a large bowl.
5. In the same skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef (note: if the beef has yielded a lot of fat and is not grass-fed, you may want to drain it before adding the spices and herbs). Add all spices and herbs: rosemary, thyme, fennel seeds, sage, pepper, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Pour the ground beef into the same large bowl. Stir to combine.
6. When the squash is cool to the touch, use a spoon to scoop out some of the flesh and mix into the beef.
7. Use a spoon to fill the squash boats with the beef mixture.
8. Return the squash to the oven and bake another 15 minutes at 375 degrees F until everything is heated through.

I'm finishing day 20 today.  Today my hips ache for the first time - not sure if it is fibromyalgia or just working out, or a weather change.  A bit disappointed because I'm really hoping my aches go away.  I worked a bunch of graveyard shifts this past weekend so maybe the schedule messed up my system.

Today I took the kids to McDonald's to let them play in the play area.  I let them get chicken mcnuggets and french fries.  Bless their hearts, they know they don't like junk food.  They ate two bites of the food when it was piping hot but left the rest.  As for me, I didn't touch the McNuggets or fries.  After looking up the ingredient list on-line, I allowed myself one plain hamburger patty, which on-line says is 100% beef and nothing else.

Hi guy and gals

I am doing ok on my holiday and sticking to the plan. I had a coffee on Monday with no adverse effect and am currently in a cafe with free wi-fi having another. But it tastes very strong so I may not finish it. Feeling great, done a couple of nice hikes and spent some good time just chilli with my man. Our cottage is lovely. Right on a fast running stream so we are living with the sound of running water and can watch the birds from the window.

Be back at the weekend. Stay strong xx

Sharyn - sounds lovely! Glad to hear from you!

Day 24, comrades! How are you all feeling? Anyone got tiger blood going on? It sounds like a lot of people have lost some inches so far. Was anyone here for reasons outside of weight loss or overall health?

I have noticed that my skin looks really good lately and that my moods are so much steadier. I don't think I've gotten MAD (the kind where you want to cry or yell it give up) in weeks. I'm much more tolerant of daily hiccups, I guess.

I'm anxious to see what the next week holds.

I was actually drawn to Whole30 more for other reasons than weight loss.  I was doing a satisfactory job of losing weight before starting whole 30 but I definitely was in a rut in regards to food and starting to slip. About 15 months ago I had realized my anxiety and panic issues were getting too much to deal with on my own and decided I needed to re-lose weight (lost 65 lbs in 2006/2007, gained 55 of it back after having kids) and start going to therapy. 

The goal was to lose the weight slow and steady, focus on exercise FIRST rather than diet, shift to less processed and artificial foods (particularly trans fat and artificial sweeteners) and since the panic attacks were mostly related to medical issues I did not actually have, as I lost the weight, the talk therapy would fill in the rest.  Well it didn't fully work, I was losing weight but the panic attacks were not going anywhere.  So I have been on medication to handle those but I cannot get OFF of the medication until I am panic attack free for a few months.  They have been reduced immensely but I still have a few triggers that can set them off.

So I read the list of things that Whole9 can help with and figured I had nothing to lose by trying whole 30.  I swear since day 6 or so the things that could trigger a panic attack (lets say as example, a random pain somewhere in my body that I could not explain) have diminished or disappeared.  It could be the physical benefits, or the psychological benefits, most likely both but for the first time since I started medication in March I can envision life without it.

Day 21 yea!!!!  I'm actually hungry this morning after not having much of an appetite for the past week.  Yesterday I ate egg salad for breakfast, some left over acorn squash and beef for lunch and dinner.  I'm doing a poor job of eating green vegetables - I've still got frozen veggies that I roasted last week.  That'll be my goal for this final 9 days of the whole 30.

I have a friend's celebration to attend on October 15 where we might toast with Proseco.  After that, maybe a second whole30 to bring in the holidays.  Or some research on what is different about Paleo vs. Whole30 - I'm forgetting.  Comments?

Archived