Starting September 9th looking for support

charleyd40

Daveloper80,

Super glad you found a dressing you like.  sorry about the sauce though.  I read some posts early on that talked about a sauce at Trader Joe's that was compliant.  I have checked twice and not found it though.  

Day 15 complete!!!!!

B bacon!  one egg, sweet potato hashbrowns, salad

L tuna with mayo, lettuce, 1/2 apple, nuts

S Larabar

D confetti "rice" (cauliflower), pina colada chicken.   Fantastic!!!  From www.theclothesmakethegirl.com

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two weeks into this, I'm forgetting what is Whole30 and what is less restrictive Paleo.  I guess we'll have to re-learn what we can eat once the 30 days is up.  Day 11 is over and so far I've not had any wishes to cheat.  I find myself missing "crunch" and sort of got it by dry roasting some walnuts.  I suppose I can try making kale chips tomorrow.

I made popcorn for my kids, who are "gluten-light".  You should have seen me taste-testing the popcorn to make sure it had the right amount of salt, and then spitting the popped corn out into the sink so as to not cancel my whole30.

My husband is hooked on the sweet potato hash.  Today, breakfast was sweet potato hash and a veggie frittata.  Lunch was homemade chicken salad with paleo mayo and tomatoes on the side.  Dinner was sliders made from grass-fed beef, with guacamole and paleo bacon.  Snacks were a grapefruit, a mango, and a few walnuts.  Rode bikes on the bike trail with the kids in tow on the alleycat - upwind and uphill.  Not exactly fun, but I did get my exercise outside in the sunshine for a change.

Funny - I joined a group weight loss and exercise group at the gym.  Saturday was the first meeting, and I got to sit through a whole hour of a dietician telling us how we would be on a low fat, higher carb diet with an emphasis on beans, etc.  How low carb is bad.  How high protein is hard on the body.  Oh, well, I won't be following her plan.  She wants us to lose 1-2 lbs per week, but I've been dropping quite a bit more than that during this first two weeks.

Funny - I joined a group weight loss and exercise group at the gym.  Saturday was the first meeting, and I got to sit through a whole hour of a dietician telling us how we would be on a low fat, higher carb diet with an emphasis on beans, etc.  How low carb is bad.  How high protein is hard on the body.  Oh, well, I won't be following her plan.  She wants us to lose 1-2 lbs per week, but I've been dropping quite a bit more than that during this first two weeks.

Yikes. It's really disheartening when "professionals" are so off track. No wonder the rest of us are so confused.

Whew! Half way through this, although I'm going to try to keep going indefinitely. I did Zumba last night which is the first time I've worked out in ages. The only reason I did was because my best friend twisted my arm. SHE ate the cupcakes at the party and was feeling guilty about it. I can't believe how out of shape I am. Well I can but... It's sad. And the weather is soooooo gorgeous right now. I should be out there running or hiking or something but still not really feeling it.

I still feel kinda bloated. Hanging out in the fat clothes side of my closet mostly.

Daveloper80,

Super glad you found a dressing you like.  sorry about the sauce though.  I read some posts early on that talked about a sauce at Trader Joe's that was compliant.  I have checked twice and not found it though.  

The Puttanesca sauce is complaint as far as I can tell.  I didn't see anything out of line.

Sharyn - I mainly read fiction. I've been into the short story scene lately, but I don't really have a certain author or genre that I stick to. If I had to think up a favorite crafter of the short story though, it would be Raymond Carver. I've read his collection "Where I'm Calling From" several times. I love every story in that collection. If you haven't ever read him, he's definitely worth looking into!

Happy Day 15 everyone!!!!! :)

Side note: My first Whole 30 I was in a serious running slump, and I'm happy to say that I'm back and better than ever! I did a tempo run yesterday and my fast-paced miles were as fast as they've ever been. I'm racing this Saturday and hoping for a PR!

Carrot flowers - I'll look into Raymond Carver, thanks for the recommendation. My reading pile sure needs some new additions as it's only about 300 books ;)

Day 15 and as Bon Jovi sang:

Whooah, we're half way there

Livin' on a prayer

Take my hand and we'll make it I swear

Livin' on a prayer

Anyway, back to the important things like food

Meal 1: 3 eggs scrambled in refined coconut oil on a bed of spinach. 

Meal 2: Surf 'n' Turf - king prawns and a cold beef burger!! with a large mixed salad, half an avocado, black olives and mayo; banana with coconut milk and dessicated coconut. 

Meal 3: lambs liver pan fried in refined coconut oil with onions and mushrooms served on steamed cabbage wedges. Half an avocado afterwards for additional fat. 

Tomorrow will be a challenge as we are going on an organised trip but I am taking bottles of water and an emergency lunch in case we can't find anything suitable. It won't be perfect but it won't be non-compliant :)

For those only doing 30 days we'll be on the home stretch tomorrow. 

@SharynF - it's so fun having you be the leader time-wise.  I think I will copy your breakfast.

I tried using coconut oil for the first time last night - albeit to make gluten-free popcorn for my kids - and it started smoking immediately.  I ended up having to switch to corn oil to make their popcorn.  Which is weird because the coconut oil advertised itself specifically as popcorn oil.

Starting day 12.

I hope everyone is doing well....sorry I haven't been on much but I've been draining the dregs of summer as the leaves begin to change here in the Twin Tiers....I weighed early because Friday was my one year anniversary wheat free, so I thought I'd share my blog post for the occasion. Rock on, good gentles. 

Just read your blog post and love love love it!  I especially loved you saying the time it takes is irrelevant, and your statements from "you have to decide" through "compromises."

I've enjoyed reading your posts in the forum, and am so happy for the progress you've made - look forward to reading more about your journey and future successes!

Cravings out of emotions are the really hard ones for me; I've used food to cope for 40 years.

At this point I am just trying to remember that this Whole30 is one of my committed actions towards living in honor of my value of health.

As my Psychologist would say – “Just because something is simple Barb doesn't mean it's easyâ€

Cravings out of emotions are the really hard ones for me; I've used food to cope for 40 years.

As I thought about that more - those for me aren't cravings.  Those are my desire to stop feeling XYZ and cramming food in my mouth was my way of trying to stop feeling XYZ. 

Cravings are like the one last week when I drove by The Elephant and my mind couldn't help but wander back a month or so to the yummy dessert I had while there so of course I craved sweets in that moment!!

Day 16 for me. My first day back to work. I got to eat my breakfast at noon. Lunch in the car at 4pm. Lucky I had a Lara bar in my bag. I grabbed that on the go at 10:30.

Running is not going well for me right now. It is not the release that I have come to love about it. I miss it more than you can imagine.

However, I am feeling pretty darn fantastic today. Just light and calm. If I ever get home I may have a short two mile run.

Barb E - Right. I shouldn't call them cravings. It's more like old habits. I don't crave one thing when I'm dealing with emotional stress: I WANT TO EAT ANYTHING/ ALL THE THINGS. I am happy to report that I did NOT eat all the things. I may have eaten a little too much for dinner, but after dinner, I cleaned up and just went straight to bed to read.

Cortner: hang in there with the running. I did a Whole20 last month and my running was terrible. It was REALLY discouraging. I felt like it would never improve, BUT it did! The past two weeks, my running has been awesome. I ran a tempo on Sunday and my splits were under 8 min/mile. I think it just takes your body a long time to adjust to burning fat. Keep running! It WILL get better.

DAY 16: Finally drinking coffee BLACK - not even using coconut milk anymore! Tonight I have book club, which is typically a big food & wine night, but I am resolved to stick to water and I already looked at the menu and found something compliant. Yay. Anxious to get this week over with for some reason. Have a great day, friends!

Carrot Flowers - I'm trying to find a means of being ok with all the emotions/stress/etc rather than distracting myself out of the urge to eat.  I've been distracting from it for years and :) as Dr G would say to me "How's that workin' for you Barb?"  :lol:

It's a bit like the body image thing I have as well - working hard to accept my body the way it is right now before CrossFit and Whole eating turn it into a body I accept because it's small/lean/thin/etc enough.

This is one of the reasons I chose to do a Whole30 - The time to think less about what I'm putting in my mouth (which sounds backwards when I actually write that but I do think way less since there is not angry mind games for eating something I "Shouldn't") ane more about what I'm doing in my mind. 

52 seems so late to be doing this work...

Happy Day 16 to the 09/09'ers and Happy Day Whatever to the rest!

Barb E: That's something I struggle with, for sure. I'm body-image obsessed, and even when down at my lowest weight when I was stonger and leaner than ever, I felt there was something missing. It wasn't ever good enough. I realize that Whole 30 won't solve that either and neither will any amount of running, lifting, or exercise. I think my hope is that I'll be able to accept my body the way it is once I'm confident that I am nurturing it to the utmost - with whole foods, exercise, and sleep. And as far as being 50 goes, I think it's pretty awesome that you even give a darn about it to begin with! Most of the people I know in their 50s have given up the dream, so to speak, and they're letting their bodies deteriorate.

My diet has been pretty squash-heavy lately (butternut, acorn and spaghetti) and I've felt super sluggish the past days. Do you think they're related? I've gotten over 8 hours of sleep the past two nights, and I still feel like I'm running on E. Eating plenty and not exercising more than usual. Ack. I want my tiger blood back!

Barb - I am 59 with the big 60 looming in February - it's never too late but I do wish I had discovered this way of eating a decade or more ago. 

My Day 16 has been good and I have overcome the challenge of eating out. 

Meal 1:  2 hard boiled eggs, spinach, mayo

Meal 2:  (in a pub) ham, 2 fried eggs and a large fresh salad (I swapped chips for salad with no dressing)

Sn mixed nuts (to make up some fat and cos I was hungry)

Meal 3: Sirloin steak fried in ghee, more salad! half an avocado, mayo; banana, coconut milk and dessicated coconut 

Today my trousers felt really loose - I may need a belt soon and they are longer. It always makes me smile when my trousers get longer as my thighs get slimmer :)

No exercise recently and my back is very sore, I am on ibuprofen at the moment. 

Carrot Flowers - I'm trying to find a means of being ok with all the emotions/stress/etc rather than distracting myself out of the urge to eat.  I've been distracting from it for years and :) as Dr G would say to me "How's that workin' for you Barb?"  :lol:

It's a bit like the body image thing I have as well - working hard to accept my body the way it is right now before CrossFit and Whole eating turn it into a body I accept because it's small/lean/thin/etc enough.

This is one of the reasons I chose to do a Whole30 - The time to think less about what I'm putting in my mouth (which sounds backwards when I actually write that but I do think way less since there is not angry mind games for eating something I "Shouldn't") ane more about what I'm doing in my mind. 

52 seems so late to be doing this work...

Happy Day 16 to the 09/09'ers and Happy Day Whatever to the rest!

Better to learn these lessons now than never!  I will be 52 very soon.  We are walking this walk for the long term.  Our health matters.  

Barb E: That's something I struggle with, for sure. I'm body-image obsessed, and even when down at my lowest weight when I was stonger and leaner than ever, I felt there was something missing. It wasn't ever good enough. I realize that Whole 30 won't solve that either and neither will any amount of running, lifting, or exercise. I think my hope is that I'll be able to accept my body the way it is once I'm confident that I am nurturing it to the utmost - with whole foods, exercise, and sleep. And as far as being 50 goes, I think it's pretty awesome that you even give a darn about it to begin with! Most of the people I know in their 50s have given up the dream, so to speak, and they're letting their bodies deteriorate.

My diet has been pretty squash-heavy lately (butternut, acorn and spaghetti) and I've felt super sluggish the past days. Do you think they're related? I've gotten over 8 hours of sleep the past two nights, and I still feel like I'm running on E. Eating plenty and not exercising more than usual. Ack. I want my tiger blood back!

How has your fat intake been.  If I lower it too much that is how I feel, then I seem to swing towards the carb heavy veggies.  When I bring the fat back up it is easier to leave squash and sweet potatoes out.

Barb - I am 59 with the big 60 looming in February - it's never too late but I do wish I had discovered this way of eating a decade or more ago. 

My Day 16 has been good and I have overcome the challenge of eating out. 

Meal 1:  2 hard boiled eggs, spinach, mayo

Meal 2:  (in a pub) ham, 2 fried eggs and a large fresh salad (I swapped chips for salad with no dressing)

Sn mixed nuts (to make up some fat and cos I was hungry)

Meal 3: Sirloin steak fried in ghee, more salad! half an avocado, mayo; banana, coconut milk and dessicated coconut 

Today my trousers felt really loose - I may need a belt soon and they are longer. It always makes me smile when my trousers get longer as my thighs get slimmer :)

No exercise recently and my back is very sore, I am on ibuprofen at the moment. 

Congrats on your pants!  Happy dance!!!!  Totally jealous that you found compliant ham.  I also battled the restaurant world today.  They were very accommodating.  

Day 17 in the books.

I realized today that when I'd gone to the bathroom I didn't unbutton my jeans, just pushed them down out of habit thanks to all the elastic waists I wore for years. Guess who is wearing a belt right now. :-) I figure I'm about 2-3 weeks from downsizing for the third time.

Archived