Starting September 9th looking for support

charleyd40

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cortner1195   Sorry to hear about your son's friend, too young for sure!  What half iron man is your husband training for?  Do you do events in TriCities?  More in common, your birthday is the same as my husbands, same year...funny.  HOw many grandbabies do you have?  Thank you for sharing the dressing ideas, going to get some more vinegars today. 

Not sure who asked about pumpkin souffle, I made one the other morning by putting three eggs, 3/4 cup pumpkin, 1/2 to 3/4 cup coconut milk and pumpkin pie seasonings in a glass bowl, mixed it together and put it in the oven at 400 for about 25 minutes.  I t was a nice change.  I am sure there are other ways to make it.  

Curious, where can you buy grass fed butter and coconut aminos?

Mike is running the half iron by Tri Freaks.  It's called the Grand Columbian.  We are at Grand Coulee Dam for the weekend.  

Sharyn F - PHEASANT!? I'm with Barb E - get some in my belly! :) Glad you learned something from your slip-up. That's what this is all about, after all!

Barb E - Don't beat yourself up over missing your workout, girl. Your body is still adjusting. Sending Tiger Blood vibes your way. Also, I am hella jealous that you do crossfit. I would like to, and there a couple places near-ish to me that offer it, but it's so darn expensive!

MELYMOM - yay! hop on the Jillian train with me! I was thinking this morning how awesome it would have been to do the 30-day shred AND the Whole 30 together. I think I'll do them in tandem my next whole 30! I've been surprisingly good about Jillian - 4th day in a row today. Feeling sore, but strong. About the bacon, where in the country are you? In the Midwest, Kroger is a popular chain grocery store. I think someone said that Cosco also carries a low-sodium, sugar-free brand, but I don't have one near me, nor am I a member. Maybe just check out all of the low-sodium options at your grocery stores and see if you can find one! :) Good luck! I about screamed with joy when I finally found mine. Also, Larabars ARE compliant (except the peanut and/or chocolate ones, obvi), but there's the whole your-meal-should-have-protein-fat-and-veggies, so the Larabar, while compliant, isn't a super great choice, many have told me. That said, I love the Cherry Pie flavor, and have a few in my pantry just in case! I was planning on using some broken up Larabar bits in a stuffed acorn squash tonight! I'll let you know how it turns out.

I have to admit y'all, I love this diet, but right now I'm feeling really isolated. I wish I lived in a bigger city where I could make some friends who ate like this so I could host potlucks and such. Tonight alone, I had to turn down two invitations out because I don't want to be tempted to drink (that's how I fell off on my last attempt). Luckily, I found a friend who wants to go on a walk and chat. Also, holy crap, could I PLEASE find a paleo boyfriend? That's what I want for Christmas this year :) And oh, also a Vitamix. Santa, are you listening?

I've been slipping on my early-to-bed goal, so that's where I plan to refocus my energy for week three. I was feeling FREAKING AWESOME at the beginning of the week, and now I'm feeling super tired and my bedtime difference has only been about 45 minutes!

Tonight, I'm making stuffed acorn squash and for football on Sunday, I'm making WF's citrus carnitas (sooooo goooood) and a new recipe I found, coconut pineapple coleslaw, to serve with them! Doesn't that sound like an awesome combo?

Also, hallelujah, I fit into a pair of jeans today that were previously too snug to wear in public, and they were straight-out-the-dryer! :lol:

I have been looking for the recipe for the citrus carnitas.  Haven't found it yet.  Is it in the book?

Day 13 is drawing to a close for me.  Tough day emotionally.  Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

It's 7am in UK and I have been awake since 4am. I usually sleep well when my husband is away but not last night. I read for a couple of hours and finished my book and now I face a busy day with no caffeine boost (also ditched caffeine during Whole30). I am off to a Literary Festival later and have tickets for three talks. I hope they are rivetting to keep me from yawning my way through the day! 

Have a good day 9/9ers - I'm just off to make a mushroom and bacon omelette to take for my packed lunch - with a bag of salad and a small bottle of oil. I hope I get a chance to eat it! 

Corner - here is the link to the carnitas recipe. Make it now! You won't be disappointed! http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/04/29/stovetop-pork-carnitas/

Melymom - Forgot to mention that you can get Coconut Aminos at most health food stores. Whole Foods carries it, but it's super expensive there. I found a different store where it was less than half the price. You can also order it online! I haven't ever bought grass-fed butter, but I think the same applies. Kerrygold is a brand I often hear people talk about on these boards.

Sharyn - the literary festival sounds awesome! What book are you reading? I'm an English teacher. Cheers to another lit lover!

Happy day 13 everyone! Hope you're all doing well. We're getting so close to halfway. Your support and stories have been so helpful! Can't wait to cross the finish line with you.

Corner - here is the link to the carnitas recipe. Make it now! You won't be disappointed! http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/04/29/stovetop-pork-carnitas/

Melymom - Forgot to mention that you can get Coconut Aminos at most health food stores. Whole Foods carries it, but it's super expensive there. I found a different store where it was less than half the price. You can also order it online! I haven't ever bought grass-fed butter, but I think the same applies. Kerrygold is a brand I often hear people talk about on these boards.

Sharyn - the literary festival sounds awesome! What book are you reading? I'm an English teacher. Cheers to another lit lover!

Happy day 13 everyone! Hope you're all doing well. We're getting so close to halfway. Your support and stories have been so helpful! Can't wait to cross the finish line with you.

@carrot flowers - the LitFest was great. Two authors I didn't know plus the wonderful Irish author Edna O'Brien who is 82 now but still sharp as a tack and very entertaining. Her first novel was published in 1960 and I have read her since I was in my late teens. She has just written her memoirs so I shall hope Santa brings me that this year. I shall have to be a good girl!

The book I was reading was an English cop murder mystery. Gripping stuff and I think I didn't sleep because I was concerned about a victim!

I have just started a non-fiction which is a diary written during WW2 by a British woman living in Italy called War in Val D'Orcia: An Italian War Diary, 1943-1944 by Iris Origo. It fits well with my history degree and love of anything to do with the two world wars. 

What do you like to read for pleasure?

Goodmorning everyone, I am on Day 11.....feeling a little better today.  It looks like I have some emotional days coming up based on posts for those of you around day 13....

I am feeling guilty eating the coconut butter, coconut oil, olive oil, I have been programmed for so long that fats are bad, but I am enjoying how they help with satiation and the flavor...

cortner1195  I found the tri team online and contacted them to see if they would be interested in a online coaching for tri training and never heard back.  The season is about over for the Northwest, but I am hoping I can hook up in the spring with the group.  Good luck to your husband, have fun at Grand Coulee, have you ever seen the light show?  I took the leap and registered for a sprint triatholon in Las Vegas end of October

carrot flowers - thanks for sharing the recipes, the acorn squash sounds yummy and I will have to try the carnitas.  The closest whole foods or trader joes is a few hours away.  I will do some online research to order some more items. 

Amberino - thank you for the link. 

Barb E - it looks like 2013 is definitely your year of change, look what you have already done, good for you

Yesterdays meals

B:  my fav so far, sweet potatoe hash made with julienned sweet pototatoe, cup spinach sauteed in coconut oil with garlic powder salt pepper and two eggs

L  Left over ground turkey and veggies and 2 heirloom tomatoes with paleo mayo

D  Pork chop, summer squash, zuchini, tomatoe and onions sauteed in olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon coconut butter mixed with 1/2 teaspoon almond butter. 

I did make it to the farmers market yesterday and got some great veggies, today I am going to try beets, cut like fries and sauteed in coconut oil with lunch...

Gotta run, have a great day everyone

I know I'm kinda quiet on here but I love reading through everyone's posts. It's so great to see everyone working through this.

So I'm prepping a bunch of food today and for some reason the steaks I just cooked smell like doughnuts .... No sugar is playin with my senses!!! Craziness.

Food today:

Meal 1 3 bacon rashers and 2 fried eggs

Meal 2 (packed) chicken thigh, cold roasted veg, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and olives. 

Meal 3 home made burgers, large mixed salad with mayo; mixed fruit (frozen and defrosted) with coconut cream. 

I've just hit the button for a successful day and I'm off to bed. It's 9.30pm and I've been awake since 4am :(

Thanks for the link!  I also looked at a recipe on her site for pina colada chicken.  Looks yummy too!

oh man... im extremely emotional.  my husband was trying to be nice last night and picked up a rotisserie and some kombucha tea - both are non-compliant.  ugh.  i havent consumed them.  i know he's frustrated about it and so am i!  

I'm sorry about the emotions!  I was that way yesterday.  It does seem better today.  Outside of frustration this morning. :)

Goodmorning everyone, I am on Day 11.....feeling a little better today.  It looks like I have some emotional days coming up based on posts for those of you around day 13....

I am feeling guilty eating the coconut butter, coconut oil, olive oil, I have been programmed for so long that fats are bad, but I am enjoying how they help with satiation and the flavor...

cortner1195  I found the tri team online and contacted them to see if they would be interested in a online coaching for tri training and never heard back.  The season is about over for the Northwest, but I am hoping I can hook up in the spring with the group.  Good luck to your husband, have fun at Grand Coulee, have you ever seen the light show?  I took the leap and registered for a sprint triatholon in Las Vegas end of October

carrot flowers - thanks for sharing the recipes, the acorn squash sounds yummy and I will have to try the carnitas.  The closest whole foods or trader joes is a few hours away.  I will do some online research to order some more items. 

Amberino - thank you for the link. 

Barb E - it looks like 2013 is definitely your year of change, look what you have already done, good for you

Yesterdays meals

B:  my fav so far, sweet potatoe hash made with julienned sweet pototatoe, cup spinach sauteed in coconut oil with garlic powder salt pepper and two eggs

L  Left over ground turkey and veggies and 2 heirloom tomatoes with paleo mayo

D  Pork chop, summer squash, zuchini, tomatoe and onions sauteed in olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon coconut butter mixed with 1/2 teaspoon almond butter. 

I did make it to the farmers market yesterday and got some great veggies, today I am going to try beets, cut like fries and sauteed in coconut oil with lunch...

Gotta run, have a great day everyone

We have never stayed late enough for the light show.  But I have spent a fair amount of time in the area.  I have done the tour of the dam, etc a few times.  What Tri team are you looking at?  Be very careful when you sign up for coaching.  I really got burned last year.  It cost me a lot of money.  Research, and more research before you sign on with anybody!

Oh man... I barely made it today!  We went to a social event tonight and made meatballs to bring so i would have something compliant to eat.  We were running out of time and my husband just threw them together while I was doing some other stuff and they were TERRIBLE.  I couldn't eat them.  I was already hungry when we got there and the only thing I could have was the zoodles we also brought and some watermelon.  As hungry as I was, I just couldn't get through the meatballs.  I don't even know what went wrong with them.  And there was all this other stuff there - cupcakes with kit-kats baked into them (kit-kats being a fav of mine) and soda and chips and cheesy stuff.  It was brutal.  BRUTAL.  I can't believe I didn't cave.  I came sooooooooooo close.  Just had to tell someone!

Oh man... I barely made it today!  We went to a social event tonight and made meatballs to bring so i would have something compliant to eat.  We were running out of time and my husband just threw them together while I was doing some other stuff and they were TERRIBLE.  I couldn't eat them.  I was already hungry when we got there and the only thing I could have was the zoodles we also brought and some watermelon.  As hungry as I was, I just couldn't get through the meatballs.  I don't even know what went wrong with them.  And there was all this other stuff there - cupcakes with kit-kats baked into them (kit-kats being a fav of mine) and soda and chips and cheesy stuff.  It was brutal.  BRUTAL.  I can't believe I didn't cave.  I came sooooooooooo close.  Just had to tell someone!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!  You are amazing.  Did you ever get more to eat?  That is rough.  

Man, the Rotisserie Chicken from Costco being non-compliant is ridiculous...
What's with all the extra garbage on it, why isn't it just chicken + seasoning + fire?

What a shame, that would have been such a nice and easy dinner.

Although, I did take advantage of their Grass Fed Organic ground beef and made a nice burger with sauteed onions and mushrooms for dinner so  the trip wasn't a total waste.  I'll use the rest for some spaghetti squash and meatballs tomorrow night.

See, we can face these challenges and win! Massive respect Revived, massive!!

I have just read Day 12 daily email - I'm running a couple of days behind on those as I am Day 14 now as are most of us on this thread. 

Meditation. Interesting. Does anyone on here meditate? I have often thought about it but never tried. I have some emotional stress going on at the moment as my mum's health and wellbeing has deteriorated a lot over the past 2 months and my brother has has just moved her into residential care after a few weeks in nursing care. I am not near my mum and I hate not being able to imagine her in her chair, in her own home. I plan to go see her but not for another couple of weeks. I may try meditation to give me a break from the guilt feelings that I can't get there sooner.  Sorry - not really diet related but it helps to offload. Even typing this has made me tearful again :'(

SharynF

I'm sorry about your mother.  Vent away!

Day 15 for me.  The first two weeks are officially behind me.  I do like the emails!  Tonight will be the Pina Colada Chicken from www.theclothesmakethegirl.com

I found compliant bacon at a little tiny Safeway in the town we are in.  Bacon for breakfast!!

I plan to play with some spices this week.  I bought a super cheap coffee grinder to use for spices.  I plan to make my own taco seasoning, and a few others.  Does anyone else do this?  I would take any suggestions.

Daveloper80

Sorry about the Costco chicken.  That is ridiculous!!!!  One thing this really teaches us is how much junk manufacturers hide in our food.  

supermarket rotisserie chicken is so yummy because it is pumped full of something to make it moist and tasty. And the skin goes such a lovely brown all over because of colouring and/or caramel. Haven't bought one for years. 

My favourite way of cooking a whole chicken is to put it in the slow cooker and leave it on low for 8 hours. The flesh will fall off the bones and you can then make stock (broth) with them. 

Paleopot's recipe for lime cilantro chicken is fabulous. Lemon and garlic works well too as does tomato paste and garlic. 

Meditation. Interesting. Does anyone on here meditate? I have often thought about it but never tried. I have some emotional stress going on at the moment as my mum's health and wellbeing has deteriorated a lot over the past 2 months and my brother has has just moved her into residential care after a few weeks in nursing care. I am not near my mum and I hate not being able to imagine her in her chair, in her own home. I plan to go see her but not for another couple of weeks. I may try meditation to give me a break from the guilt feelings that I can't get there sooner.  Sorry - not really diet related but it helps to offload. Even typing this has made me tearful again :'(

I meditate. I definitely notice a marked improvement in how I feel and approach things when I'm consistently meditating vs. not. Among other things, I feel more grounded, present and calm. 

I've been through several transitions like you describe. It's not easy coping with the declining health of a loved one, especially living at a distance. I completely empathize and encourage you to give meditation a try.  You can begin by simply noticing your in breath and out breath. When thoughts enter your mind, that's to be expected and perfectly fine. Just treat them as clouds floating by and gently return your attention to your breath.

And it's absolutely relevant to raise this question in this forum. :) Stress Management is one of the Whole9 Factors: http://whole9life.com/2013/01/whole9-our-9-factors/

Day 14 has gone well. Did a load of housework this morning so got some good exercise. And the food has been yummy

Meal 1 spinach topped with a cold burger I made yesterday and mayo

Meal 2 King prawns with a large mixed salad and a lime and chill dressing I made with some of a new batch of mayo; banana and coconut milk topped with dessicated coconut (yummy)

Meal 3 Slow cooker lamb breast with braised cabbage and mushrooms and sweet potato with mayo.

Hubby is home from Scout camp so I have a headache from his constant chatter about the past 48 hours. He's gone to bed now so I may try my first meditation to clear my mind before I go up. 

Night night from the end of my second week of Whole 30 here in the UK :)

ha and then i dreamt last night that I went on a massive food binge when i got home from the party.  and i felt so terrible for ruining my whole30.  I can't even tell you how relieved i was when I woke up and realized it was a dream! whew!  I know it talks about it in the emails but I don't remember having vivid dreams like this the first time around.

I'm going to make the butternut squash bacon soup today and a breakfast casserole and some chicken tenders.

I feel pretty decent today but I'm getting really overwhelmed with just how busy life is.  I feel like I can't catch my breath with it all.  And there's nothing I can do about it.  I'm going to start getting up a half hour earlier in the mornings to try to compensate which means I'm going to have to be really disciplined about bed time.  

Also, I've been having some abdominal discomfort.  I've been keeping track and I've only had 3 bathroom occasions in the past week.  And before that, things had seemed to be improving.  Not really sure what's going on with that.  I don't know if its related or not but I just feel bloated and fat and yucky.  And it's not anywhere near time for my period yet.  

Still tired but I have good spurts once in a while and still pretty brain foggy.  Writing is much better but I probably ramble then too.  But with talking, I totally space out in the middle of sentences all the time.  I constantly feel like I'm trying to wade through the fog to connect my thoughts.  I wish that would improve.  

Hi everyone, looks like you had a successful day!!  Revived - HIGH FIVE, that would have been hard, you made it through.  Sorry you are not feeling so great.  Cortner how did your husband do in the half iron man?  I can't believe you found good bacon there, I have checked several stores here, no luck yet, but not giving up!  SharynF - I have never done meditation, the closest I have come to it is Yoga class.  I bet it feels great to have 2 weeks behind you!!! Good job.  Developer, thanks for letting us know about the Costco chicken, I saw it today and passed over it, but it was tempting to buy for an easy meal.  

I am on day 12 now, not really feeling like I am losing weight or losing inches yet, I think I am over the virus and feeling better, more energetic.  

Yesterdays meals

B:  Adelle sausage, left over zuchini/onion tomatoe sir fry, one egg cooked in coconut oil, coffee with coconut milk

L   Crabmeat, paleo mayo, pickle, celery avacodo, onion, tomatoe, yummy

D   Adelle sausage, 2 eggs scrambled, sliced tomatoe and olives

Woke up about midnight thinking that I wanted something to eat, but ignored it and drank a big glass of water. 

Today's meals

B:   Adelle sausage, pineapple, cantelope, cashews, shredded coconut with little coconut milk

L    Doing errands, didn't have lunch until 2, went to Jimmy Johns, had bib lettuce sandwich with turkey, cucumbers, tomatoe, onion and avacoda, so glad I could eat a compliant lunch

D   Hubby wanted to go to dinner, Applebees, 7 oz sirloin steak, steamed broccoli and steamed zuchini, carrot brocholi..

Hot tea with coconut milk

Off to run some more laundry before bed...

"If you want to conquer fear, don't sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy."

- Dale Carnegie

well 9.9ers, that's 2 weeks in the books.  This time tomorrow we will be half way through Whole 30. I can hardly believe it.

Almost had an unintentional sabotage at dinner tonight.  The whole family went to Whole Foods to get some stuff for the week and I did a really solid job of planning out all my meals in advance (or at least I hope I did).  I took advantage of costco for a lot of the meat so I was really there for produce and some additional items.  I took a quick glance at their pasta sauces and thought they were compliant.  I got home, made an entire pot of meatballs with the sauce (I cook the meatballs in the sauce) and as they are cooking I take a closer look. 

organic expeller pressed soybean oil.

I was so pissed off what a waste.  Fortunately I had baked a nice piece of salmon for the week that had made 4 servings instead of the 3 I was intending and I still had some leftover sauce from Trader Joes to have on my spaghetti squash.

So just out of curiousity.  Outside of Whole 30 how bad is soybean oil?  Is that one of those restrict for whole 30 to see results kind of oils or is that a try to strip it from your entire life kind of oil? 

On a more positive note Tessemae's Southwest Ranch may be my new favorite Salad Dressing ever.  Its delicious!

Archived