Simon Howie's smoked bacon.

KingLeeroy

I've read the bacon manifesto and started searching the ingredients on here but couldn't find solutions to them. I am on Day 27 and my partner bought in some bacon and I really fancy some, and it looks OK generally, there are nitrates but not sugar listed. Here are the ingredients.

Pork, Salt, Smoke flavouring, Hydrolysed Vegetable protein, Sodium Nitrite, sodium nitrate, Antioxidant: sodium ascorbate.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks

Many times smoke flavoring is just smoked that has been collected and it is ok. 

I saw Alton Brown make his own smoke flavoring once. He took one of those clay chimineas and put a 6 foot piece of steel ducting on it with a bunt pan (the kind with the hole in the middle) on top and a steel mixing bowl that was just smaller in diameter than the bunt pan turned upside down over it, then put a bag of ice ontop of the upside-down bowl. As the smoke from the chiminea went up the ducting, it cooled, then condensed on the iced bowl and dripped into the bunt pan. It seemed like a lot of effort for a few teaspoons of liquid smoke, but that's about how the way commercial stuff is made too.

Archived