Starting 28 August, join me!

francsois

We get bi-weekly farmhouse deliveries, so I've got a ton of eggplants and summer squashes to use up. All of my former recipes for both veggies involved sugary sauces or cheeses – anyone have any delicious recipes I should try?

Shredded squash can be thrown into almost anything, eggs, marinara sauce, soups, meatloaf, hamburgers ect. These are a few of my favorite recipes. These are also a few of my favorite go-to Paleo site. Check them out to see if there are other things that you might like better:

http://eatdrinkpaleo.com.au/creamy-cauliflower-soups-with-crispy-bacon-dairy-free/

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1670459416/roasted-brussels-sprouts-and-bacon

http://eatdrinkpaleo.com.au/how-to-make-baba-ganoush-eggplant-dip-recipe/

http://www.primalpalate.com/category/side-dishes/

http://paleomg.com/ginger-carrot-soup/

http://www.thefoodee.com/tag/21dsd/

Cooking paleo has been something I've invested a lot of time into. Hope this helps!

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Francsois for that! Because I was really weirded out that I wanted animal crackers! lol

So far, breakfast was pork chop with carrots, cabbage, broccoli, peppers, avocado, and hot sauce, 1/2 banana, and a little bit of mashed squash. 

Went to the grocery store for more fruits and veggies, and some cashews and almonds, and spent about 2 hours watching The Challenge: Rivals II, and cutting up the foods that needed to be cut or peeled, so I don't spend soooo much time preparing a meal! I'm set for at least a week! Day 17 for me! Only 13 more days to go!!!

The real challenge will be this weekend... as much willpower as I have going out to eat and everything, Saturday night we have a sitter, and will be going out with friends. 

I read day on the day 15 Whole30@daily that you probably failed if you ate a “forbidden†food, and you have to start over. I forgot to mention, I drank a coke Zero on day 2, and some breath mints (with sorbitol) once or twice. Forgive me father for I have sinned! I will be buggered if I am going to start again. All is well otherwise, so I am just not starting over. I feel:

• Slightly stronger when I exercise, as predicted.
  • Sleep very well
  • Mood slightly improved. Very slightly
  • Dream more
  • I remember things from long ago, and I feel the emotion associated with the memory, which I have not been feeling up to now. This is quite novel! It is almost as if parts of your brain have been shut off from bad food/booze/poor sleep etc. But this phenomenon is quite mild.

I am still trying to figure out the best way to kick my caffeine habit. I drink three very strong cups of coffee each day. I believe that this is bad for you, despite all the health claims one reads about in the magazine. I am concerned about the psychological effects of taking a stimulant every day (albeit a weak stimulant). This must have longer term consequences. I am going to read http://whole9life.com/2011/03/caffeine-clean-four-months-without-coffee/

http://whole9life.com/2011/01/the-coffee-manifesto/

What are your thoughts on coffee/caffeine?

Cheers

I have also heard that coffee can be a appetite suppressant and given my appetite issues I have also been thinking about giving it up.  Nothing makes me more sad...... *sigh* being a grown-up sucks. 

Francois, Deb, Pepper and anyone else still feeling fluffy and tired: I am right there with ya at day 17. Tonight I asked my husband if he could notice a difference in me and his response was, "not really." So encouraging. I will say that I've had impingement issues in my right shoulder for the past 3 years and my shoulder has been completely pain-free since about day 6.

I've been plugging along trying to make good choices. I have school 3 days/week and I also have a one-year-old, so some days my meals look like wolfing down Applegate Naturals lunch meat and carrot sticks in the car on the way to class. Have not had any non-Whole30 foods, but some days are better than others. Such is life these days for me. I'm trying to not be too hard on myself.

Ashely, you are a rock star! Want to come to my kitchen and cook for me? LOL.

Keep up the great work, guys!

I have also heard that coffee can be a appetite suppressant and given my appetite issues I have also been thinking about giving it up.  Nothing makes me more sad...... *sigh* being a grown-up sucks. 

Lol! I thought of trying crystal meth to help me transition into caffeine abstinence! Joking, it is going to be painful, don't know when or how to get the ball rolling.

Cheers

F.

Francois, Deb, Pepper and anyone else still feeling fluffy and tired: I am right there with ya at day 17. Tonight I asked my husband if he could notice a difference in me and his response was, "not really." So encouraging. I will say that I've had impingement issues in my right shoulder for the past 3 years and my shoulder has been completely pain-free since about day 6.

I've been plugging along trying to make good choices. I have school 3 days/week and I also have a one-year-old, so some days my meals look like wolfing down Applegate Naturals lunch meat and carrot sticks in the car on the way to class. Have not had any non-Whole30 foods, but some days are better than others. Such is life these days for me. I'm trying to not be too hard on myself.

Ashely, you are a rock star! Want to come to my kitchen and cook for me? LOL.

Keep up the great work, guys!

hi Carolinagirl

I think the "feeling good" thing on whole30 is true, but also perhaps hyped (I could be wrong). Maybe we should lower our expectations. But I do feel somewhat better....... We all march to our own drumbeat, and perhaps feeling healthy will kick in at a different time for all of us.

Cheers

F.

Lol! I thought of trying crystal meth to help me transition into caffeine abstinence! Joking, it is going to be painful, don't know when or how to get the ball rolling.

Cheers

F.

You may have a point though..... Once you kick the caffeine habit the meth habit would be a walk in the park to quit. And just think about all the things you could accomplish in the mean time!  :lol:

Carolinagirl, I'd love for someone else to eat the food I make! I end up only cooking for myself, and when my husband and daughter are home, I end up making my food, along with food they'd want as well. lol

Yesterday I went to a late night Mary Kay 50th Anniversary celebration... in which they had chocolate EVERYTHING! They did have strawberries, but they were smothered in liquid chocolate and surrounded by marshmallows. I didn't eat any of it! Beforehand, I made sure I ate something, so I wouldn't cave. I had a hard boiled egg, some cashews, and dates. Then when I got home, I was hungry, so I ate a hard boiled egg, cashews, strawberries, asparagus, and peppers. 

I honestly wasn't even craving the desserts they had. Normally I'd be all over it because it was there! But I seriously didn't even want it.

And one big success for me... I tried on a dress that didn't fit me a month ago, and it FITS again!!!!!

Carolinagirl, I'd love for someone else to eat the food I make! I end up only cooking for myself, and when my husband and daughter are home, I end up making my food, along with food they'd want as well. lol

Yesterday I went to a late night Mary Kay 50th Anniversary celebration... in which they had chocolate EVERYTHING! They did have strawberries, but they were smothered in liquid chocolate and surrounded by marshmallows. I didn't eat any of it! Beforehand, I made sure I ate something, so I wouldn't cave. I had a hard boiled egg, some cashews, and dates. Then when I got home, I was hungry, so I ate a hard boiled egg, cashews, strawberries, asparagus, and peppers. 

I honestly wasn't even craving the desserts they had. Normally I'd be all over it because it was there! But I seriously didn't even want it.

And one big success for me... I tried on a dress that didn't fit me a month ago, and it FITS again!!!!!

Sounds like a special kind of chocolate heaven/hell! Well done Ashley. I would hav ehad a whole face covered in chocolate if I was in that position.......

Cheers

Francsois

You may have a point though..... Once you kick the caffeine habit the meth habit would be a walk in the park to quit. And just think about all the things you could accomplish in the mean time!  :lol:

Reminds me of this story of the famous mathematician Paul Erdos. A friend bet him he could not quit his Benzedrine habit.......

http://www.amphetamines.org/paul-erdos.html

Cheers

F.

Shredded squash can be thrown into almost anything, eggs, marinara sauce, soups, meatloaf, hamburgers ect. These are a few of my favorite recipes. These are also a few of my favorite go-to Paleo site. Check them out to see if there are other things that you might like better:

http://eatdrinkpaleo.com.au/creamy-cauliflower-soups-with-crispy-bacon-dairy-free/

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1670459416/roasted-brussels-sprouts-and-bacon

http://eatdrinkpaleo.com.au/how-to-make-baba-ganoush-eggplant-dip-recipe/

http://www.primalpalate.com/category/side-dishes/

http://paleomg.com/ginger-carrot-soup/

http://www.thefoodee.com/tag/21dsd/

Cooking paleo has been something I've invested a lot of time into. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the links Deb! I ended up shredding most of the squash and enjoyed the last bit of it with my eggs this morning. Delicious! We get delivery again on Thursday, and I'm certain there will be plenty more squash for me to try new recipes with! :)

Ashley, it sounds as if you and I are in the very same boat!

Last Thursday I volunteered at a friend's fundraising event for her nonprofit, and the whole night revolved around food. There was bite-sized deiciousness all around me! So many wonderful looking snacks - and even MORE wonderful looking desserts! In the past, I always made it a persona mission to stop by each chef's table to sample every single morsel of food they had to offer - but this year I resisted, and was proud of myself for doing so. The only thing I tasted was a bite of smoked cod on arugula - and I even made sure to ask about every single ingredient that was in the bite before eating it.

Also, for that same event I pulled out a pair of pants that had not fit in quite some time, but I thought they'd look best with the shirt I wanted to wear to the event, so I figured, "what the heck, I'll see if there's a chance they fit again" and they did! They even fit better than they did when I first bought them! Whoop! That provided motivation to skip all the snacks at the event too. Success!

Last week absolutely flew by. I can't believe it's already Sunday again, which means it's time for me to cook and prep foods to keep me going through the week. I've been finding new recipes and trying them out, but I admit that during the week my menu options have often been a little bland. I have great ideas of cooking new things, but then I just want to come home, eat and get out the door for an evening walk before the sun goes down, then begin unwinding for the evening. I haven't strayed, but I need to add some more pizazz before I get burnt out!

I bought a huge bag of figs at the farmer's market, so I thought I'd make this Balsamic & Fig Roasted Chicken recipe tonight.

I've noticed myself falling into the trap of snacking on more fruits than veggies and protein too, so I need to get out of that habit fast. Last week - when we were all going through our crazy craving modes - I wanted chocolate ever so badly, but instead I would snack on a banana, dried apricots (no sugar or any other additives), or raspberries. Today I thought I'd make some chicken & turkey meatballs, using this recipe as a guideline, but will adapt it to be Whole30 compliant. I just need more quick protein options, and there are only so many boiled eggs I can eat in one day. :)

I definitely have more energy lately, and for the most part have been feeling pretty darn good. I've got two more hurdles (i.e. events that center around eating and drinking) to jump, and they both occur in the final days of the Whole30, so I've got to go out strong and stick to my guns!

Hope you are all doing well and enjoying the final hours of your weekend. :lol:

Last week absolutely flew by. I can't believe it's already Sunday again, which means it's time for me to cook and prep foods to keep me going through the week. I've been finding new recipes and trying them out, but I admit that during the week my menu options have often been a little bland. I have great ideas of cooking new things, but then I just want to come home, eat and get out the door for an evening walk before the sun goes down, then begin unwinding for the evening. I haven't strayed, but I need to add some more pizazz before I get burnt out!

I bought a huge bag of figs at the farmer's market, so I thought I'd make this Balsamic & Fig Roasted Chicken recipe tonight.

I've noticed myself falling into the trap of snacking on more fruits than veggies and protein too, so I need to get out of that habit fast. Last week - when we were all going through our crazy craving modes - I wanted chocolate ever so badly, but instead I would snack on a banana, dried apricots (no sugar or any other additives), or raspberries. Today I thought I'd make some chicken & turkey meatballs, using this recipe as a guideline, but will adapt it to be Whole30 compliant. I just need more quick protein options, and there are only so many boiled eggs I can eat in one day. :)

I definitely have more energy lately, and for the most part have been feeling pretty darn good. I've got two more hurdles (i.e. events that center around eating and drinking) to jump, and they both occur in the final days of the Whole30, so I've got to go out strong and stick to my guns!

Hope you are all doing well and enjoying the final hours of your weekend. :lol:

I have had to restrain my fruit habit too Pepper, I understand how that feels.......

I felt very irritable the last three days. I tried to figure out why that was: semester is finished, and I am bored! Tons of stuff to do though, work around the house, exercise, reading etc. but nothing very engaging. My remedy for this feeling in the past would be lasagne and some wine. Quite a habit to break, it is so hardwired into my head. Thought I might take up mountain biking to fill the void.

Cheers

Francsois

Ashley, it sounds as if you and I are in the very same boat!

Last Thursday I volunteered at a friend's fundraising event for her nonprofit, and the whole night revolved around food. There was bite-sized deiciousness all around me! So many wonderful looking snacks - and even MORE wonderful looking desserts! In the past, I always made it a persona mission to stop by each chef's table to sample every single morsel of food they had to offer - but this year I resisted, and was proud of myself for doing so. The only thing I tasted was a bite of smoked cod on arugula - and I even made sure to ask about every single ingredient that was in the bite before eating it.

Also, for that same event I pulled out a pair of pants that had not fit in quite some time, but I thought they'd look best with the shirt I wanted to wear to the event, so I figured, "what the heck, I'll see if there's a chance they fit again" and they did! They even fit better than they did when I first bought them! Whoop! That provided motivation to skip all the snacks at the event too. Success!

That's so awesome you fit in the pants again, AND they fit better!!! It's definitely motivation!! Way to go!

Sooooo.... I failed this weekend. I'm starting from Day 1 again tomorrow.

We went to my nephews bday party Saturday around 4, then immediately went out with friends afterwards until 3 am... and we were on the main street with bars. Then today my husbands client was making dinner for us and the first thing she says is "Did he tell you I don't cook anything fat free in this house?" then laughed. I told her I don't eat things that are "fat free" exactly, just lots of veggies and fruits, with proteins and healthy fats. She totally dismissed me of course. But that's ok. I didn't want to elaborate a whole lot anyways.

She had chocolate cake and served it to all of us. I took a few bites, and IMMEDIATELY felt my neck and shoulder pain flare up, I got a really bad headache, then I felt super tired and just blah. Now I don't even want to look at chocolate cake. 

Good luck to you all finishing!!! Almost there! Stinks I have to start over, and so I guess I will be joining another group starting tomorrow.

I have finally been feeling some results!  I know some of my clothes are fitting better and the past couple days I have had good energy. My sleep has been so deep that I have to peel myself off the mattress when the alarm goes off, but once I'm awake (like an hour later) I am awake and ready to hit the day.  :)

I get cravings for things only when I see them and when I need to eat anyway. Having carbs and protein at hand has really helped. I have the next couple days off and I also will be putting some kitchen time in to make sure I am fully stocked.

I downloaded a new running app and it has been tons of fun to use. Its called ZombieRun and you run "missions" to rebuild after the zombie apocalypse. omg Running has never been so exciting!!!!

I'm sorry you have to restart your Whole30 Ashley, but at least you built a strong foundation! keep on keeping on!  :D

We went to my nephews bday party Saturday around 4, then immediately went out with friends afterwards until 3 am... and we were on the main street with bars. Then today my husbands client was making dinner for us and the first thing she says is "Did he tell you I don't cook anything fat free in this house?" then laughed. I told her I don't eat things that are "fat free" exactly, just lots of veggies and fruits, with proteins and healthy fats. She totally dismissed me of course. But that's ok. I didn't want to elaborate a whole lot anyways.

She had chocolate cake and served it to all of us. I took a few bites, and IMMEDIATELY felt my neck and shoulder pain flare up, I got a really bad headache, then I felt super tired and just blah. Now I don't even want to look at chocolate cake. 

Good luck to you all finishing!!! Almost there! Stinks I have to start over, and so I guess I will be joining another group starting tomorrow.

It is not a complete  loss Ash, at least you now know what  triggers you. Damn! We will look for you, and pass on our encouragment! You are human, do not despair! I wish you luck.

Cheers

Francsois

I have finally been feeling some results!  I know some of my clothes are fitting better and the past couple days I have had good energy. My sleep has been so deep that I have to peel myself off the mattress when the alarm goes off, but once I'm awake (like an hour later) I am awake and ready to hit the day.  :)

I get cravings for things only when I see them and when I need to eat anyway. Having carbs and protein at hand has really helped. I have the next couple days off and I also will be putting some kitchen time in to make sure I am fully stocked.

I downloaded a new running app and it has been tons of fun to use. Its called ZombieRun and you run "missions" to rebuild after the zombie apocalypse. omg Running has never been so exciting!!!!

I'm sorry you have to restart your Whole30 Ashley, but at least you built a strong foundation! keep on keeping on!  :D

ZombieRun!!! Lol, that sonds nuts! Whatever works Deb. Sounds like you are doing well, you can pat yourself on the shoulder. I am on track too, but I do fret as to what i am going to do after the Whole30. I will figure it out and let you guys know.

Cheers

Francsois

It is not a complete  loss Ash, at least you now know what  triggers you. Damn! We will look for you, and pass on our encouragment! You are human, do not despair! I wish you luck.

Cheers

Francsois

You're right. Not a complete loss! And I'm not dwelling on it. Because it happens. And I KNOW I will keep to this kind of eating afterwards, and only veer from it for special occasions. Because I know how I feel when consuming junk! ugh... it's horrible. Just be warned! lol

I'm going to have to look into that app, ZombieRun! I love making exercise more exciting and fun, and challenging!!! 

I'm very glad to be starting over with the knowledge that I have :) It makes it easier, since I know how I need to balance meals, and what triggers me. Different recipes that are delicious and easy to make! And at the grocery store... knowing where to go for what. Good luck on the rest of your W30!

Ashley, you don't have to leave us completely just because you're starting over! Your menus were enough to make all of us drool and keep us all motivated.

We all have big, bad, ugly temptations we're going to have to face once we reach day 31. I don't know about the rest of you, but I plan to stick around this forum - either on this thread, or elsewhere - to keep myself motivated and constantly surrounded (at least cyber-surrounded) by like-minded folks who all share the similar goal of healthy living. Maybe I'll try to find a local Meetup group too. When I learned that Melissa Joulwan of theclothesmakethegirl.com lives here in Austin, I admit I wanted to look her up and see if we could be BFFs. ha! Maybe not BFFs, but a local Whole30 support and advice source.

Yesterday we went out to dinner and I ordered ceviche - which seems to be my go to restaurant meal these days - and I told my husband that I planned to stick very closely to the same eating plan once my thirty days end. His response was, "if it makes you feel better, then that seems like the smartest thing to do." That's his logical mind working. My mind, however, tends to follow my taste buds' love for sweets and tortilla chips. I admit I was jealous of the swirled frozen margarita he was drinking as he made that statement, but he's right, I do feel better, and I need to stick with it. 

Deb, I'm glad you made the comment about needing to peel yourself off the mattress every morning. I do the same thing and had worried about that since everything says I'll have "bounding energy." I go to bed early enough to get my full 8+ hours of sleep, but boy is it tough to get up in the morning. I sleep like a rock though, and like you said, once I'm up, my energy starts to soar and then I'm hungry within fifteen minutes upon waking. According to the book that's normal though - phew!

Today's daily Whole30 email couldn't have hit my personal nail any harder on the head. I know this isn't about weight loss, but that's obviously a side effect I am eagerly anticipating. I need to stop focusing on how loosely my clothes are fitting - or not loosely fitting - and stop over scrutinizing myself in the mirror on a daily basis and just be happy with myself for choosing to be healthy.

We all have big, bad, ugly temptations we're going to have to face once we reach day 31. I don't know about the rest of you, but I plan to stick around this forum - either on this thread, or elsewhere - to keep myself motivated and constantly surrounded (at least cyber-surrounded) by like-minded folks who all share the similar goal of healthy living. Maybe I'll try to find a local Meetup group too. When I learned that Melissa Joulwan of theclothesmakethegirl.com lives here in Austin, I admit I wanted to look her up and see if we could be BFFs. ha! Maybe not BFFs, but a local Whole30 support and advice source.

HAHAHHAA!!! Pepper I have totally thought the same thing about finding people I admire digitally in real life to soak up more of what they have to offer. Melissa would definitely be on the top 10 of my list too!

After the Whole30 is done its a lot harder to stay put. The reintroduction phase is hard for me because I don't have health issues.  I always feel healthy whether its eating grains and dairy or not.  For me its more about what fuels my body better and what keeps my "indulgences" in check. I live alone so I have decided to never drink alone. If I'm out on a date or with the girls then I'll allow myself a "treat" but no more at home. I just might allow cheese back into the house, mostly because I don't indulge on it and I usually only eat mozzarella and goat's cheese. Grains I will continue to stay away from because I have no way to control myself. The "healthy" grains like rice and quinoa I don't really prefer and I over do it on whole wheat every time. Also, sugar has to be a no go for me as well, which most grain based products have. My sugar demon can not be pacified with a little here and there. Cookies are a thing to be looked at not touched like fine china or art. A cookie cannot be consumed by me. It always turns into a box of cookies. No mas! 

Perhaps I will loosen the reigns on myself once my weight is in a healthy range but for the time being I need a tight grip on these things. Keeping in touch with people who share my convictions has for sure helped me complete this.  Its afterwards that I am going to need to vigilant. 

I'm going to have to look into that app, ZombieRun! I love making exercise more exciting and fun, and challenging!!! 

I'm very glad to be starting over with the knowledge that I have :) It makes it easier, since I know how I need to balance meals, and what triggers me. Different recipes that are delicious and easy to make! And at the grocery store... knowing where to go for what. Good luck on the rest of your W30!

Yes, stay here, we will help you throught your new Whole30, no problem.

Cheers

F.

Archived