Starting 28 August, join me!

francsois

Okay... Here is a summary of what I have eaten yesterday and today and I'll let you guys tell me if I am sabotaging myself somewhere! I will add the caveat that my husband defrosted 2.5 lbs of wild salmon meat for some reason, so I have been trying to cook/eat it all so we don't waste it. Also, I am in school 3 days per week and some days I need to pack my lunch and eat on campus, so lunches need to be easy and require very little prep.

Yesterday

Breakfast: 1 oz salmon (left over from dinner the night before,) 3 strips bacon, 1/2 tomato drizzled with olive oil, 1 handful pineapple and blueberries, 1 mug coffee w coconut milk.

Lunch: 5 slices of Applegate naturals turkey bologna, 1 cucumber sliced, 1 handful organic salted cashews

Snack: 1 handful grapes, 2 handfuls salted almonds

Dinner: 1/2 salmon steak drizzled with olive oil and baked with salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary, 2/3 sweet potato w 2 spoonfuls of ghee

Today

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled in grapeseed oil, 1 whole avocado, 1 handful blueberries, 1 mug coffee w coconut milk

Lunch: 2 Applegate Naturals organic hotdogs, 1 tomato sliced and drizzled with olive oil, 10 green olives, 1 spoonful almond butter (because I was still hungry)

Snack: 1 handful grapes, 1 handful organic salted cashews

Dinner: tonight I have to go to a baby shower at a local restaurant and will have a boiled shrimp salad and I'll bring my own dressing. I'll ask them to hold the cheese.

I will say that I read all labels like a pro and know for a fact that no sugar, soy, gluten, etc. are sneaking into my meals. I also find that I don't get hungry between breakfast and lunch, but I do get hungry between lunch and dinner and have to do a snack most afternoons.

Thoughts? I've been trying very hard to be good!

Ashley, that's great that your energy levels are elevated! I could go to bed at 7 pm these days!

It sounds good, the bacon might be a problem if it contains nitrates etc. Considered a processed meat. If you can get organic bacon, that would be good! Well done Carolinagirl!

Cheers

Francsois

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Francsois

I have been working with a trainer these last couple of months who is very knowledgeable about functional movement, which I am getting better at in preparation for crossfit.  Basically, I learned lots of compensating improper movements which I am now unlearning, and am also strengthening the core and adding flexibility and stability.  Just started to work with kettlebells, but can definitely see better range of motion.  In the mornings, I do stretches and some core movement things, like get-ups, planks, mountain climbers, etc.

Thanks Walt, I have decided to take some of the excercises posted daily on http://www.crossfit.com/ and work them into a routine for myself. A personal trainer does sound like a good idea though.......

Cheers

F.

Okay... Here is a summary of what I have eaten yesterday and today and I'll let you guys tell me if I am sabotaging myself somewhere! I will add the caveat that my husband defrosted 2.5 lbs of wild salmon meat for some reason, so I have been trying to cook/eat it all so we don't waste it. Also, I am in school 3 days per week and some days I need to pack my lunch and eat on campus, so lunches need to be easy and require very little prep.

Yesterday

Breakfast: 1 oz salmon (left over from dinner the night before,) 3 strips bacon, 1/2 tomato drizzled with olive oil, 1 handful pineapple and blueberries, 1 mug coffee w coconut milk.

Lunch: 5 slices of Applegate naturals turkey bologna, 1 cucumber sliced, 1 handful organic salted cashews

Dinner: 1/2 salmon steak drizzled with olive oil and baked with salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary, 2/3 sweet potato w 2 spoonfuls of ghee

Today

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled in grapeseed oil, 1 whole avocado, 1 handful blueberries, 1 mug coffee w coconut milk

Lunch: 2 Applegate Naturals organic hotdogs, 1 tomato sliced and drizzled with olive oil, 10 green olives, 1 spoonful almond butter (because I was still hungry)

Dinner: tonight I have to go to a baby shower at a local restaurant and will have a boiled shrimp salad and I'll bring my own dressing. I'll ask them to hold the cheese.

I will say that I read all labels like a pro and know for a fact that no sugar, soy, gluten, etc. are sneaking into my meals. I also find that I don't get hungry between breakfast and lunch, but I do get hungry between lunch and dinner and have to do a snack most afternoons.

Ashley, that's great that your energy levels are elevated! I could go to bed at 7 pm these days!

I think you are doing GREAT! Maybe add more fat or a different protein to your lunch? It's been very beneficial for me to do that, and not be afraid to add fat to my meals. Like, if I need to add something in, I just use avocado or cashews, walnuts... something like that. Orr something with coconut!

Maybe that'll help with feeling tired by 7 pm too!! :) I hope that helps.

Hi Ash

I recommend meditation for stress. I have given it a try, works for me. http://www.amazon.com/Silence-Your-Mind-ebook/dp/B009DIXASO

The biggest change so far in my experience is a lessened need to take an afternoon nap. Also, I find it easier to stay on the food straight-and-narrow. I felt a bit irritable yesterday; I suspect that is because I had started exercising again, and my hormones are addling my brains. So all good, I am glad i joined this forum, it does seem to make it easier to stay on track.

Cheers

Francsois

Thanks! I will have  to try some meditation!  I definitely need it rright now! And I'm so glad you started this forum! It's definitely helped me as well.

Breakfast: ground turkey with steamed spinach and peppers, and a Monkey salad (coconut chips, banana, cashews)

Lunch: pan seared fish and zucchini, cashews, and mashed squash with pepper, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg

Dinner: steamed broccoli, cabbage, carrots with ground hamburger on top drizzled with olive oil and vinegar, steamed broccoli heads, and mashed sweet potatoes, cashews, 1/2 clementine orange

I wish I could share pics through this forum! Because I have pics of all of them! They were all delicious!!! 

Cheers to tomorrow, Day 11!!

I wonder how everyone is feeling?  Do you notice any changes in your appearance? Energy levels? Quality of sleep? Whiter teeth :D ?

I feel better, but don't know if I lost any weight per se.  What I feel best about is that I am making the right choices every day, and am disciplined in following this program.  So that's a big psychology boost, but my body may be slower in responding than others, I don't know....Would love to hear how it's going for y'all.

Walt

It's Day 11 for me, and I have noticed that I've lost weight. I don't know how much, but I know that I have because of my clothes. And I gotta say, I feel like I have a TON of energy! My skin does feel softer too. And I'm much happier... not feeling depressed about different things or being discouraged or anything. Hopefully you start feeling that all soon!

That's great you being disciplined with the program! It's definitely rewarding!

Yesterday

Today

Your meals seem to be quite low in vegetables - you should be aiming for 2-3 cups per meal - and your protein sounds low too. Maybe aim for the upper limit of the template for your protein and see how you go? also consider swapping your fruit for more vegies - many people mention that including fruit makes them feel hungry sooner. A solid breakfast can set you up better all day (even for that period between lunch and dinner).

if you are starving, try and go for a mini meal over fruit and nuts. include protein, vegies and fats. perhaps make a bigger lunch - if you can't eat it all, you've got leftovers for the afternoon if you find yourself starving :)

It's Day 11 for me, and I have noticed that I've lost weight. I don't know how much, but I know that I have because of my clothes. And I gotta say, I feel like I have a TON of energy! My skin does feel softer too. And I'm much happier... not feeling depressed about different things or being discouraged or anything. Hopefully you start feeling that all soon!

That's great you being disciplined with the program! It's definitely rewarding!

That's great to hear.  Much happier and skinnier too!  Just think of how you'll feel and look at the end of 30 days!

Hello Walt!

First off, did you get a new dog yet?

I've definitely got more energy during the day, but have been going to bed earlier than normal. In fact, last night I went to bed around 9:30 and my husband made the comment that no one goes to bed that early unless you're an eight year-old. :rolleyes:

My jeans are fitting a little more loosely, but I'm guessing I'm just less bloated than I was before when I was eating sugar, grains and other crap (wine and margaritas!).

The toughest time for me is late afternoons when I'm at work, have eaten lunch but want a snack out of boredom, or in attempt to stave off being starving during my commute home, and in the evenings when I had gotten used to a sweet snack after dinner. Sometimes I do cave in, but definitely choose healthier options!

I admit I also miss the occasional adult beverage. No amount or variation of sparkling water can replace a glass of nice red wine, but I'm definitely not caving into those temptations! I figure once I finish the 30 days I will re-introduce wine into my diet, only on a much more limited basis than before.

I think my teeth just might be whiter too, what do ya think?  :D

;)

Hi Pepper, as a matter of fact, we did get a dog on Tuesday.  Named him Bolt, because he's as fast as a lightening bolt.  He's been very good so far.  Will get a pic posted soon, but don't want to side track the conversation.

This group is pretty serious about red wine.  Count me among the guilty there, though I have abstained from it since the 29th. 

The difference between you going to bed at 930 and an 8 yr old is that you did it willingly.  Having an 8 yr old myself, I know firsthand how unwilling they are to go down for the night.  I think it was George Bernard Shaw who said he could get a child to do ANY chore, just by asking at bedtime. :lol:

Great to hear about the increase in energy, and spare room in the jeans.

Keep it up!

Breakfast: ground turkey with steamed spinach and peppers, and a Monkey salad (coconut chips, banana, cashews)

Lunch: pan seared fish and zucchini, cashews, and mashed squash with pepper, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg

Dinner: steamed broccoli, cabbage, carrots with ground hamburger on top drizzled with olive oil and vinegar, steamed broccoli heads, and mashed sweet potatoes, cashews, 1/2 clementine orange

I wish I could share pics through this forum! Because I have pics of all of them! They were all delicious!!! 

Cheers to tomorrow, Day 11!!

You can share pics through this forum. Click on "more reply options" at the bottom, there you can attach a photo.

Cheers

F.

I made paleo gravy. PALEO GRAVY!!!!!!! 

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1634346420/easy-paleo-herb-gravy-recipe

I poured it all over my plate.  Turns out broccoli is pretty delicious with gravy.

My belly is happy....... and smaller.  

I made a larger than usual dinner because after reading what everyone else has been eating I realized I may be tired and cranky because I'm not eating enough. Waiting till I'm hungry doesn't really work for me because I can go all day without feeling hungry till 4 or 5pm. And when I do eat I'm eating like 1/2 the meal sizes you guys are. (1 egg and a banana for breakfast, 1/2 a acorn squash and a chicken leg, cabbage & sausage with an apple cooked in coconut milk) Some of it has to do with time. I'm generally hoovering down a "meal" in the car or inbetween clients. I didn't think it was an issue till I realized everyone else is feeling more energized and I feel kinda sluggish. Also, it seems like you guys are eating more than me, but I'm not hungry and generally feel full.  

Should I add more food even though I'm not hungry for it?

I poured it all over my plate. Turns out broccoli is pretty delicious with gravy.

I made a larger than usual dinner because after reading what everyone else has been eating I realized I may be tired and cranky because I'm not eating enough. Waiting till I'm hungry doesn't really work for me because I can go all day without feeling hungry till 4 or 5pm. And when I do eat I'm eating like 1/2 the meal sizes you guys are. (1 egg and a banana for breakfast, 1/2 a acorn squash and a chicken leg, cabbage & sausage with an apple cooked in coconut milk) Some of it has to do with time. I'm generally hoovering down a "meal" in the car or inbetween clients. I didn't think it was an issue till I realized everyone else is feeling more energized and I feel kinda sluggish. Also, it seems like you guys are eating more than me, but I'm not hungry and generally feel full.

You definitely need to add more food - if you aren't used to eating so much, plan more meals initially. Perhaps 4- 5 slightly smaller meals. they should all fit the template though -

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Your body will adjust and start telling you it's hungry! You may be able to stomach more food and decrease the number of meals after a while :)

I poured it all over my plate.  Turns out broccoli is pretty delicious with gravy.

Awesome on the gravy!! I would definitely try to eat more food, and try what amberino21 said... I find it beneficial to add more fat to my meals as well. If I only have some olive or coconut oil I made my veggies with, then I will eat some cashews. You're body definitely needs the fuel!!

lol! That's what I was thinking too! How are you feeling today? Any different?

Hi Ashley

I'm feel about the same today.  Again, I am happy with the ways things are going but not seeing a huge weight loss yet.

Also found myself pretty sore this morning after yesterday's work out. 

Gorgeous day here in Philly (It's always sunny in Philadelphia!)

Walt

I just turned down dark chocolate covered pomegranates. I count that as a HUGE success because dark chocolate is (was!) my biggest weakness. I was able to resist though, despite my co-worker trying to convince me they were a healthy snack.

I made the most delicious stuffed acorn squash last night and enjoyed leftovers for lunch today, so I myself was nice and stuffed, which made it easier to turn down the sweet temptation.

I am looking forward to the weekend! Last weekend I was worried because Friday nights meant going out to eat and “celebrating†the end of the week with fattening foods – usually Mexican – and several adult beverages. This weekend feels different though. I'm excited to go to the grocery store and buy healthy foods to have on hand for next week's meals, I'll probably find some multi-step, elaborate recipe to make on Sunday, and am going to try out some of the crossfit websites several of you have shared to see what I can do that won't kill my knees too badly.

Hope you all have a fantastic weekend! Keep up all the good work!

Don't let the sweet tooth ninjas get ya! :ph34r:

I just turned down dark chocolate covered pomegranates. I count that as a HUGE success because dark chocolate is (was!) my biggest weakness. I was able to resist though, despite my co-worker trying to convince me they were a healthy snack.

I made the most delicious stuffed acorn squash last night and enjoyed leftovers for lunch today, so I myself was nice and stuffed, which made it easier to turn down the sweet temptation.

I am looking forward to the weekend! Last weekend I was worried because Friday nights meant going out to eat and “celebrating†the end of the week with fattening foods – usually Mexican – and several adult beverages. This weekend feels different though. I'm excited to go to the grocery store and buy healthy foods to have on hand for next week's meals, I'll probably find some multi-step, elaborate recipe to make on Sunday, and am going to try out some of the crossfit websites several of you have shared to see what I can do that won't kill my knees too badly.

Well done Pepper resisting the Chocolate! I uspect that people sometimes push things on us so that they can feel better about themselves when they err. Human nature. The person meant well probabaly.

I feel good  currently, changes I noticed so far are:

• Skin looks less pasty
  • no afternoon nap needed
  • dont get as hungry as I used to
  • I dream more

Cheers

Francsois

I wonder how everyone is feeling?  Do you notice any changes in your appearance? Energy levels? Quality of sleep? Whiter teeth :D ?

I feel better, but don't know if I lost any weight per se.  What I feel best about is that I am making the right choices every day, and am disciplined in following this program.  So that's a big psychology boost, but my body may be slower in responding than others, I don't know....Would love to hear how it's going for y'all.

Walt

My energy levels are marginally better, I sleep better. Good job with the discipline Walt!

Cheers

F.

No evil propensity of the human heart is so powerful that it may not be subdued by discipline - Seneca

That's AWESOME pepper! And you can totally get through this weekend! I know for me, last weekend was kinda rough. Because it does mean more adult beverages and fattening foods because my family is home, and my husband is a meat and more meat type of guy, along with chips and ice cream. lol 

Don't cave! The reward of it is far more worth it than caving!

Breakfast: banana, and ground turkey, fried egg, spinach, and loads of peppers

Lunch: cashews, Larabar, (not great, but I was out and about and that's what I had)

Dinner: jicama chips and celery with avocado and ground turkey, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries with coconut chips.

Talk about a SWYPO for dinner! I felt like I was cheating with chips and guacamole, then dessert, but it was all compliant and absolutely delicious!!!

This has definitely been a day of resisting temptations!

As usual, my husband wanted Mexican food for dinner, so out we went. I didn't cave to temptation though - promise! Instead I sipped my sparkling water with lime and watched as he at all the tortilla chips and queso. I ordered a delicious appetizer plate of ceviche, and it was wonderful! Fresh fish with peppers and avocados. Mmm-mmm!  I'm sure it didn't have a proper balance of veggies, fats and protein, but hey, it was a heck of a lot better than ordering my typical chicken tacos or enchiladas - always minus the cheese, because dairy stopped being my friend last year - but still not the healthiest options!

I high fived myself for being strong, and while everyone else's margaritas looked mighty tasty, I just kept reminding myself how sugary and unhealthy they really are.

I haven't been able to find the coconut flakes to make the delicious sounding monkey salad you guys keep talking about, so I went by a different natural food shop today and loaded up on coconut flakes, coconut aminos and a fresh jar of coconut oil - I am all set in the world of coconuts! I'm also pretty excited to try that salad! :)

How'd you like the jicama and guacamole Ashley? That's one of my favorite go to snacks. It's so much easier to scrape the sides of the bowl with a piece of jicama too, so you don't waste any of the delicious guacamole! :)

Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!

It is perhaps not too early to start thinking exactly how I am going to handle food choices after the Whole30. I read the chapter on this topic in the book It Starts with Food, but I am afraid it was vague and unhelpful. Nothing was clear cut except:

1. Don't take a cheat day
  2. Don't do the 80/20 rule

The authors say to use intuition to guide you, and we can all draw the line where we want between when and when not to eat “badlyâ€. This is poor advice. This rule of thumb does not tell you how much “bad†food you can eat and be healthy. To limit my poorer/off-road/bad/unhealthy food to special occasions (as the authors suggest, sort of) seems to me that I have to say goodbye to yummy food altogether. What is a hard-and-fast rule of thumb for how frequently it is healthy to go off the beaten track? What does the science say? Please don't tell me things like “it is up to youâ€, or “you know your own body†or bullshit like that. What are you guys going to do once you are finished?

Cheers

Francsois

As usual, my husband wanted Mexican food for dinner, so out we went. I didn't cave to temptation though - promise! Instead I sipped my sparkling water with lime and watched as he at all the tortilla chips and queso. I ordered a delicious appetizer plate of ceviche, and it was wonderful! Fresh fish with peppers and avocados. Mmm-mmm!  I'm sure it didn't have a proper balance of veggies, fats and protein, but hey, it was a heck of a lot better than ordering my typical chicken tacos or enchiladas - always minus the cheese, because dairy stopped being my friend last year - but still not the healthiest options!

I high fived myself for being strong, and while everyone else's margaritas looked mighty tasty, I just kept reminding myself how sugary and unhealthy they really are.

I haven't been able to find the coconut flakes to make the delicious sounding monkey salad you guys keep talking about, so I went by a different natural food shop today and loaded up on coconut flakes, coconut aminos and a fresh jar of coconut oil - I am all set in the world of coconuts! I'm also pretty excited to try that salad! :)

How'd you like the jicama and guacamole Ashley? That's one of my favorite go to snacks. It's so much easier to scrape the sides of the bowl with a piece of jicama too, so you don't waste any of the delicious guacamole! :)

way to go pepper!!! You will LOVE the monkey salad! Let me know what you think after you try it! 

The jicama and guacamole was AMAZING!!! Felt like a SWYPO... I seriously thought I was cheating on the W30, but it was all compliant!

Great job, pepper.  Each time you resist temptation, you get stronger, and make it easier for the next time.

Anyone else following my strategy of eating the same food almost day?  Good thing I am not bored but I have ham and eggs for breakfast, salad with grilled chicken for lunch, and only with dinner do I get any variety:  meat, salad, veggies.  Probably the result of my not planning ahead....

Archived