Starting 28 August, join me!

francsois

Oh man... today was bad. I didn't do anything non compliant, but I was soooo stressed out today because of certain things happening right now, And my stomach is all in knots and hyperventilation and just stuff. ugh... 

Tried to do yoga, but couldn't concentrate, and it didn't work. 

Anyways,

Breakfast: 1/2 sweet potato, ground turkey with peppers and hot sauce, and a raspberry, kiwi, and orange salad with almonds and coconut flakes, coffee with coconut milk, cinnamon, and nutmeg

Lunch: 1/2 sweet potato, fish with steamed broccoli and carrots with oil and vinegar dressing, grapes

Dinner: cashews and 2 Larabars 

Then I snacked... on another Larabar and almonds and a microwaved apricot and blackberries, with coconut, cinnamon, nutmeg and walnuts

ugh... Thank God tomorrow is another day. I got barely any protein in, because I didn't feel like cooking any more meat. I even had a bunch of fish thawing tout to make for the week. 

Oh, I also went for an hour long walk with my girls.

Well done for not colapsing under the pressure! Try thistype of Yoga http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahaja_Yoga_meditation it has the virtue of proven effectiveness in controlled trials, despite all the "chakra" stuff that goes with it. I have tried a version of it, and doing it daily makes me less freaked out.

The best cure for the body is a quiet mind – Napoleon Bonaparte

Cheers

Francsois

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Generally happier is good, Ashley!  Not at the boundless energy stage here, but definitely less fatigued than I used to be.  I used to be tired all the time, then it was a heroic effort to push myself through the day.  Now I am starting to feel more normal levels of energy.

We all get up early in this house, which helps because I have 3 children in 3 different schools and 3 different buses to catch each morning.  Lately we've been up even earlier, thanks to this little guy, Bolt, whom we adopted from a rescue.  He's a yellow lab/eskimo dog mix.  I have him on the pet version of whole 30. :Dattachicon.gif2013-09-07_16-03-38_47 - Version 2.jpg

What a cute dog! If you have to be woken by a dog, it might as well be Bolt.

Cheers

F.

Well done for not colapsing under the pressure! Try thistype of Yoga http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahaja_Yoga_meditation it has the virtue of proven effectiveness in controlled trials, despite all the "chakra" stuff that goes with it. I have tried a version of it, and doing it daily makes me less freaked out.

The best cure for the body is a quiet mind – Napoleon Bonaparte

Cheers

Francsois

Perhaps not the best introduction, the proven meditation was derived from Sahaja yoga. The wikipedia says they are a cult! Try this, derived but proven to work http://www.beyondthemind.com/

Generally happier is good, Ashley!  Not at the boundless energy stage here, but definitely less fatigued than I used to be.  I used to be tired all the time, then it was a heroic effort to push myself through the day.  Now I am starting to feel more normal levels of energy.

We all get up early in this house, which helps because I have 3 children in 3 different schools and 3 different buses to catch each morning.  Lately we've been up even earlier, thanks to this little guy, Bolt, whom we adopted from a rescue.  He's a yellow lab/eskimo dog mix.  I have him on the pet version of whole 30. :Dattachicon.gif2013-09-07_16-03-38_47 - Version 2.jpg

Happier IS good! It's great! I guess I had "normal" energy before or something, because I know a lot of people are saying they didn't feel the boundless energy, and they were around the same day we are. 

My husband is an early riser, however our daughters are not. The oldest has school now though, so I do tend to wake up around 645, but I normally go back to sleep once she's out the door. Now though, I can't! I just stay awake and start doing things around the house! lol The baby just decides when she wants to wake up. So I have no schedule with her.

Breakfast: fish, steamed broccoli and carrots with olive oil and vinegar, 1/2 avocado

Lunch: baked chicken with spinach and cashews, frozen berries with coconut milk, cinnamon, and nutmeg, apple

Dinner: 3 hardboiled eggs, spinach and kale salad with peppers and olive oil and vinegar, cashews, 1/2 sweet potato mash

Did some karate stuff for an hour, and then abs for 15 minutes. I'd say it's been a good day!

I learned the hard way today how food manufacturers put junk into everything.  Tonight I decided to make hamburgers on the grill, and had a whole 30 compliant meal all planned (for me anyway; everyone else had the burgers on a wheat bun).  After I mostly finished the meal, why wife innocently ask:  Are you sure ketchup is OK?  I then looked at the ingredients list, and lo and behold, there's high fructose corn syrup.  I guess I should have thought more carefully about the ketchup, as I have been avoiding sauces for almost 2 weeks now. 

So although it was a small amount, I count it as a miss today.

I learned the hard way today how food manufacturers put junk into everything.  Tonight I decided to make hamburgers on the grill, and had a whole 30 compliant meal all planned (for me anyway; everyone else had the burgers on a wheat bun).  After I mostly finished the meal, why wife innocently ask:  Are you sure ketchup is OK?  I then looked at the ingredients list, and lo and behold, there's high fructose corn syrup.  I guess I should have thought more carefully about the ketchup, as I have been avoiding sauces for almost 2 weeks now. 

So although it was a small amount, I count it as a miss today.

Ketchup is a tough one.  I've tried to make it myself a couple of times and it never tastes quite the same. At this point I've learned to do with out. Its BBQ sauce that really broke my heart...... After the Whole30 honey helps but once again, its not the same.

For me today was also somewhat of outside the bulls eye. Not so much with what I ate but with what I didn't eat.  Its my day off and I got so busy with running around and stuff that I didn't eat a real complete meal till almost 4pm!

BUT tomorrow with be better!!!!!!! 

I will  complete day 14 today, which is as far as I have come on my last whole30 attempt. I feel fine, but not magical yet. My energy levels are only very  marginally better, I sleep well. I would not say the differences I feel at this stage make the whole30 worth the trouble, but of course that is not the point of doing it. It is to feel better in the long run; that is to avoid diabetes and other lifelstyle problems. So it is a bit like saving for your pension: important but not really fun while you are doing it! Lets see how I feel by day 30, a bit early to tell. I will start consuming less caffiene from tommorow onwards , but cutting a cup of coffee every 5 days. Not looking forward to that.

As I said previously, I am going to make a effort to produce yummy paleo meals in the future. Wish I had a personal chef to produce meals that are edible. Cooking is both time consuming and very tedious to me. Wish it was not, but it is!

Hope you guys are going well.

Cheers

Francsois

I will  complete day 14 today, which is as far as I have come on my last whole30 attempt. I feel fine, but not magical yet. My energy levels are only very  marginally better, I sleep well. I would not say the differences I feel at this stage make the whole30 worth the trouble, but of course that is not the point of doing it. It is to feel better in the long run; that is to avoid diabetes and other lifelstyle problems. So it is a bit like saving for your pension: important but not really fun while you are doing it! Lets see how I feel by day 30, a bit early to tell. I will start consuming less caffiene from tommorow onwards , but cutting a cup of coffee every 5 days. Not looking forward to that.

As I said previously, I am going to make a effort to produce yummy paleo meals in the future. Wish I had a personal chef to produce meals that are edible. Cooking is both time consuming and very tedious to me. Wish it was not, but it is!

Hope you guys are going well.

Cheers

Francsois

I do sympathize with you. I don't notice much of a difference either but I figure if they want you to do 30 days that's probably because it takes that long. I had the same conversation with myself earlier today in the mirror, when I discovered my clothes aren't fitting better and I am having energy issues.

I also sympathize with your lack of wanting to cook.  Anytime I am being strict about paleo I am stuck in the kitchen for hours! I started last year in the winter and it worked out ok, but now the weather is beautiful and warm. I neither want to stay inside or heat up the house further.... and I like to cook!!!!

I don't have advise or encouragement other than my sympathies and commiseration.  ;)

Meal 1 yesterday was sauteed eggplant and kale, with jalepenos and tomatoes, 2 fried eggs, 1/2 avocado

Meal 2 was frozen berries with coconut milk, apple, cashews, and 2 hard boiled eggs

Meal 3 was baked chicken, and a big salad with walnuts, cranberries, olive oil and vinegar, egg, artichoke, and carrots, strawberries, blackberries, and pineapple.

Meal 3 was at a hotel. My parents are staying at one for a few days, so we went there to swim and they had a bunch of free food! Thankfully, there was a salad bar, and I just asked for some olive oil and vinegar. 

Deb and Francsois, I'm in the same boat with you guys - I feel better, but no fireworks of wonderment yet, and my pants haven't started to fall off either. I do think my spare tire is starting to deflate ever so slightly though, so that's a good thing!

I feel like I've been MIA on the board lately, but it's not because I have fallen off the wagon! Promise!

On Monday I had a two hour dentist appointment for a crown prep, and spent the rest of the day with a numb face and mouth. My dentist “prescribed†a milkshake, which I would have normally dived right in to, but not this time! I had planned to make a delicious sweet potato coconut curry soup, but he told me no hot foods until the following day, so I was a little sad about that. Instead I made my own “ice cream†by mixing frozen bananas, almond butter, coconut oil and some unsweetened shredded coconut. I know, technically we're not supposed to make ourselves Paleo desserts, but I promise I didn't eat it as a reward to myself – I ate it in an, “I'm starving because my dentist appointment ran longer than anticipated, and I need something cold to soothe my aching jaw.†:) 

I've been trying all sorts of new and so far delicious recipes. On Sunday I made a green curry “stew†with cod, mushrooms, onions, coconut milk and broccoli. It was fantastic! Definitely an add to my “quick meal†list. Last night I made baked turkey thighs with smoked paprika, peppers, onions, coconut oil and collard greens – so good! Even my husband enjoyed it, and he's not doing the Whole30 with me.

We get bi-weekly farmhouse deliveries, so I've got a ton of eggplants and summer squashes to use up. All of my former recipes for both veggies involved sugary sauces or cheeses – anyone have any delicious recipes I should try?

Despite my lack of posts, I have been following along with everyone else's posts and you are all keeping me motivated to stick with it! Two weeks down, two more to feel the magic and kick some ass, right?!

Francsois, I've started reading It Starts with Food, and you were right, it's a great read. I have a hard time putting it down each night. Definitely helps to read it while doing the program as it emphasizes everything even more, and gives me solid facts to justify why I need to stick to the program. Once the 30 days are up, I plan to stick to the program as closely as possible, but won't beat myself up if I slip up and will allow myself a little wiggle room when it comes to celebrations and/or vacations.

Ketchup is a tough one.  I've tried to make it myself a couple of times and it never tastes quite the same. At this point I've learned to do with out. Its BBQ sauce that really broke my heart...... After the Whole30 honey helps but once again, its not the same.

For me today was also somewhat of outside the bulls eye. Not so much with what I ate but with what I didn't eat.  Its my day off and I got so busy with running around and stuff that I didn't eat a real complete meal till almost 4pm!

BUT tomorrow with be better!!!!!!! 

Deb

I have never heard of homemade ketchup, now that I think of it.  Guess that's what Heinz figured out a while ago.

Hope your days have settled into enough calm to let you eat a regular meal!

Deb and Francsois, I'm in the same boat with you guys - I feel better, but no fireworks of wonderment yet, and my pants haven't started to fall off either. I do think my spare tire is starting to deflate ever so slightly though, so that's a good thing!

I feel like I've been MIA on the board lately, but it's not because I have fallen off the wagon! Promise!

On Monday I had a two hour dentist appointment for a crown prep, and spent the rest of the day with a numb face and mouth. My dentist “prescribed†a milkshake, which I would have normally dived right in to, but not this time! I had planned to make a delicious sweet potato coconut curry soup, but he told me no hot foods until the following day, so I was a little sad about that. Instead I made my own “ice cream†by mixing frozen bananas, almond butter, coconut oil and some unsweetened shredded coconut. I know, technically we're not supposed to make ourselves Paleo desserts, but I promise I didn't eat it as a reward to myself – I ate it in an, “I'm starving because my dentist appointment ran longer than anticipated, and I need something cold to soothe my aching jaw.†:)

I've been trying all sorts of new and so far delicious recipes. On Sunday I made a green curry “stew†with cod, mushrooms, onions, coconut milk and broccoli. It was fantastic! Definitely an add to my “quick meal†list. Last night I made baked turkey thighs with smoked paprika, peppers, onions, coconut oil and collard greens – so good! Even my husband enjoyed it, and he's not doing the Whole30 with me.

We get bi-weekly farmhouse deliveries, so I've got a ton of eggplants and summer squashes to use up. All of my former recipes for both veggies involved sugary sauces or cheeses – anyone have any delicious recipes I should try?

Despite my lack of posts, I have been following along with everyone else's posts and you are all keeping me motivated to stick with it! Two weeks down, two more to feel the magic and kick some ass, right?!

Francsois, I've started reading It Starts with Food, and you were right, it's a great read. I have a hard time putting it down each night. Definitely helps to read it while doing the program as it emphasizes everything even more, and gives me solid facts to justify why I need to stick to the program. Once the 30 days are up, I plan to stick to the program as closely as possible, but won't beat myself up if I slip up and will allow myself a little wiggle room when it comes to celebrations and/or vacations.

Well done Pepper for skipping the milkshake! also, I don't think Paleo "treats" or deserts are forbidden, as long as they do not contain honey etc. I think (I think) that we are supposed to eat very little of it, so you are okay. I ate a paleo treat my wife made, contains almond butter, dates, coconut and cocoa, rolled into balls. Don't know what they are called, but they go down quickly. Luckily they are finished.

Cheers

Francsois

Meal 1 yesterday was sauteed eggplant and kale, with jalepenos and tomatoes, 2 fried eggs, 1/2 avocado

Meal 2 was frozen berries with coconut milk, apple, cashews, and 2 hard boiled eggs

Meal 3 was baked chicken, and a big salad with walnuts, cranberries, olive oil and vinegar, egg, artichoke, and carrots, strawberries, blackberries, and pineapple.

Meal 3 was at a hotel. My parents are staying at one for a few days, so we went there to swim and they had a bunch of free food! Thankfully, there was a salad bar, and I just asked for some olive oil and vinegar. 

You seem to be cruising along nicely, great example you set!

Cheers

Francsois

Well done Pepper for skipping the milkshake! also, I don't think Paleo "treats" or deserts are forbidden, as long as they do not contain honey etc. I think (I think) that we are supposed to eat very little of it, so you are okay. I ate a paleo treat my wife made, contains almond butter, dates, coconut and cocoa, rolled into balls. Don't know what they are called, but they go down quickly. Luckily they are finished.

Cheers

Francsois

Sorry, francsois - desserts and treats are a no go during your whole 30!!

"In addition, no Paleo-ifying dessert or junk food choices. Trying to shove your old, unhealthy diet into a shiny new Whole30 mold will ruin your program faster than you can say, “Paleo pizza.†This means no desserts or junk food made with “approved†ingredients—no coconut-flour pancakes, almond-flour muffins, flourless brownies, or coconut milk ice cream. Don't try to replicate junk food during your 30 days! That misses the point of the Whole30 entirely."

I read day on the day 15 Whole30@daily that you probably failed if you ate a “forbidden†food, and you have to start over. I forgot to mention, I drank a coke Zero on day 2, and some breath mints (with sorbitol) once or twice. Forgive me father for I have sinned! I will be buggered if I am going to start again. All is well otherwise, so I am just not starting over. I feel:

• Slightly stronger when I exercise, as predicted.
  • Sleep very well
  • Mood slightly improved. Very slightly
  • Dream more
  • I remember things from long ago, and I feel the emotion associated with the memory, which I have not been feeling up to now. This is quite novel! It is almost as if parts of your brain have been shut off from bad food/booze/poor sleep etc. But this phenomenon is quite mild.

I am still trying to figure out the best way to kick my caffeine habit. I drink three very strong cups of coffee each day. I believe that this is bad for you, despite all the health claims one reads about in the magazine. I am concerned about the psychological effects of taking a stimulant every day (albeit a weak stimulant). This must have longer term consequences. I am going to read http://whole9life.com/2011/03/caffeine-clean-four-months-without-coffee/

http://whole9life.com/2011/01/the-coffee-manifesto/

What are your thoughts on coffee/caffeine?

Cheers

Sorry, francsois - desserts and treats are a no go during your whole 30!!

"In addition, no Paleo-ifying dessert or junk food choices. Trying to shove your old, unhealthy diet into a shiny new Whole30 mold will ruin your program faster than you can say, “Paleo pizza.†This means no desserts or junk food made with “approved†ingredients—no coconut-flour pancakes, almond-flour muffins, flourless brownies, or coconut milk ice cream. Don't try to replicate junk food during your 30 days! That misses the point of the Whole30 entirely."

Thanks Amberino! I ate them in ignorance then. I would seem silly to start over just because I chowed two of those "balls", or whatever they are called..

Cheers

Francsois

I don't feel a restart is necessary. What I would suggest is the following:

- no more paleo treats for the rest of your Whole30

- figure out the last time you had sugar or sorbitol, and delay reintroducing sugar for 30 days from that day, so you'll have 30 consecutive days of being sugar-free

Uggh. Should I start over?

Cheers

Francsois

I don't think you need to start over - not for two "Paleo-fied" desserts! Now, if they were cupcakes, then we might be having a different conversation! ;) Also, if you're feeling guilty about the Coke, that was on your second day, which means you've been sticking with it for 13 days straight. No need to go back to square one completely.

My husband and I went out for dinner tonight and I ordered a chicken salad - no dressing, cheese, or anything. It was actually a pretty boring chicken salad, but it did the trick. Unfortunately, I also managed to break my temporary crown on it (really hard lettuce?!), so I've chopped up and frozen some more bananas in case I'm in pain all over again tomorrow. Ugh. :wacko:

I've got to attend a conference tomorrow and Friday, and having been to these conferences in the past I know lunch options are not going to be anywhere near healthy. So tonight I'm making a quick stir fry with some frozen veggies I picked up yesterday along with some chicken and coconut aminos - which have been my new favorite discovery. I'll throw that onto a bed of lettuce and enjoy it for lunch. Of course I'll be more than armed with foods to keep me going throughout the day. I know we're not supposed to snack, but I want to be fully prepared for any munchies and have plenty of healthy options to fall back on when the big platters of sweets roll out in the late afternoon.

Francsois, I've been having the same types of lucid dreams that you described. I haven't had any food related dreams, but boy have there been some bizarre ones!

Thanks Amber for keeping us newbies on track!

I don't feel a restart is necessary. What I would suggest is the following:

- no more paleo treats for the rest of your Whole30

- figure out the last time you had sugar or sorbitol, and delay reintroducing sugar for 30 days from that day, so you'll have 30 consecutive days of being sugar-free

I feel a lot better, thanks Chris. I was a bit low, I thought that all my hard work was down the drain. Will be super vigilant from now on.

Cheers

F.

Meal 1: hard boiled egg, asparagus, tomato, steamed broccoli with olive oil, vinegar, and fresh garlic

Meal 2: raspberries, blackberries, spinach, baked chicken, olive oil and vinegar dressing, almonds, coconut chips

Meal 3: baked chicken, sauteed eggplant and zucchini, kale, peppers, tomato, olive oil and vinegar dressing, sweet potato mash, cashews

I really wanted some pretzels and animal crackers today, for some reason... now I really like pretzels, but animal crackers?! They've always reminded me of cardboard! Why?!

Mowed the lawn,and walked a mile with the little one :)

Meal 1: hard boiled egg, asparagus, tomato, steamed broccoli with olive oil, vinegar, and fresh garlic

Meal 2: raspberries, blackberries, spinach, baked chicken, olive oil and vinegar dressing, almonds, coconut chips

Meal 3: baked chicken, sauteed eggplant and zucchini, kale, peppers, tomato, olive oil and vinegar dressing, sweet potato mash, cashews

I really wanted some pretzels and animal crackers today, for some reason... now I really like pretzels, but animal crackers?! They've always reminded me of cardboard! Why?!

Mowed the lawn,and walked a mile with the little one :)

it seems that that weird kind of craving is normal at this point http://whole9life.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Cheers

F.

Archived